Author Topic: Crown's Total Income  (Read 17520 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Crown's Total Income
« Topic Start: November 28, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
In the new tax system, there is a line-item called "crown's total income." It is the sum of revenues taxed from duchies, and an "other revenues" line, explained as "fines, etc." I have noticed that this line-item, "other revenues" or "fines, etc" is never zero, and seems very stable, such that it has been the same number in one realm I've been watching for 3-4 weeks.

I am curious where this revenue comes from, as neither realm I'm in has had any fines recently, and the sum of gold it provides is large, especially since it goes straight to the crown.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Crown's Total Income
« Reply #1: November 28, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »
In addition, the realm made 3 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 184 gold.
In addition, the realm made 151 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 290 gold.
In addition, the realm made 618 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 779 gold.

D'Hara Tax Reports. I was wondering if it had anything to do with Nobles leaving and their bonds returning to the Realm (If that even happens) and going straight to the Ruler's pocket. I believe, not sure, a Lord of one of the Townsland paused in the week of the third report.

The fourth week had another high amount, but since there was no Ruler in the third week, I assumed the money went nowhere and was distributed the week after, explaining why it was so high again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:46:57 PM by Telrunya »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 28, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
This is the second tax period in a row that Astrum has gotten nearly 1,000 gold from "other sources". Once could be anything, but twice in a row seems odd.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: November 28, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Apparently, in some instances the other income was kept in addition to being paid. Fixed now.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 05, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
I think there's still a bug in there somewhere. As much as I'm loving it, it just doesn't seem right:

24 days ago:
The crown has received 757 gold tax income thanks to a realm share of 5 %.
In addition, the realm made 175 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 932 gold.

16 days ago:
The crown has received 736 gold tax income thanks to a realm share of 5 %.
In addition, the realm made 974 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 1710 gold.

8 days ago:
The crown has received 781 gold tax income thanks to a realm share of 5 %.
In addition, the realm made 974 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 1755 gold.

Today:
The crown has received 755 gold tax income thanks to a realm share of 5 %.
In addition, the realm made 0 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 2379 gold.

Also, taxes are being collected every 8 days, instead of every 7.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 05, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
I think there's still a bug in there somewhere. As much as I'm loving it, it just doesn't seem right:

Also, taxes are being collected every 8 days, instead of every 7.

It is good to be the king.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 05, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
Hmm..  maybe this is a new feature:

Things you can do:
  • Mint coins ...  as ruler, you can direct the Royal Treasury to mint new coinage in your honor.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 05, 2011, 10:36:22 PM »
Indeed, taxes are coming every 8 days.

I'll see what my taxes are next time.

I started getting suspicious when I saw I was getting over 1,000 gold from "other income." If it stays that way this tax, I'll post here again.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 05, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »
Hmm..  maybe this is a new feature:

Things you can do:
  • Mint coins ...  as ruler, you can direct the Royal Treasury to mint new coinage in your honor.

Sounds like a fame point to me.

Details?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 05, 2011, 11:08:48 PM »
Sounds like a fame point to me.

Details?

I think he meant that as a proposal, not as a factual feature :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 06, 2011, 01:39:15 AM »
Sorry... it was just a joke. :P

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 06, 2011, 07:18:38 AM »
ah... but does it also screw everyone else?
"too many coins and your old ones are worthless"
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 06, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »
depends what they are made of, or at least what they APPEAR to be made of.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 06, 2011, 08:00:57 AM »
You'd have to add (or make optional) national currencies (the Lurian Suns, worth 0.1 gold; the 'moot Point in the 'moot, worth 0.25 gold; the [Astroist] Stars, worth 0.05, and so on) besides gold, and play with its inflation.

(Was) very fun in eR, don't know how well that would mix with BM, or what benefits it would bring, though it's a fairly simple system. Maybe for economic war, though I'm quite sure that would be out of place before mercantilism.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: December 06, 2011, 12:16:30 PM »
You have a modern concept of money that doesn't really apply to the world we simulate.

A gold coin is worth the amount of gold in it for most of the middle ages. The mint doesn't create money - it turns lumps of gold into coins of precise weight and the kings head is the official seal of approval. Many of the details we still have in modern coins were originally invented to prevent common methods of removing a little bit of gold from each coin that passed through your hands and collecting it until you had enough to melt it and sell it. Merchants were known for that, as were inn-keepers. The riffled borders of coins, for example, or the intricate patterns and images pressed into the surface, were all there so you could easily spot if someone had scrapped off a little bit from the coin.

Which also meant that currency fluctuations were practically non-existent. Because gold is gold. I think the first inflation in Europe happened when the spanish brought back tons of the stuff from the new world and suddenly the value of gold changed (not being quite so scarce anymore).