Author Topic: Family Heirlooms  (Read 8066 times)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Family Heirlooms
« Topic Start: November 29, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »
Family Heirlooms

I've noticed a few complaints regarding family wealth becoming in a sense useless and just a stat marker and items always come to mind so I came up with this.

Families generally have heirlooms they pass down in families and they are of great importance even greater than say items because this shows their heritage and a story is behind every heirloom (RP aspect). So here my question why can't affluent families make heirlooms in a sense items that only the family can posses (Death or Capture can result in losing it)?

I'm suggesting a some point heirlooms should be introduced, similar to items that can be loaned out to kin in the family for instance the head of the family (determined by the player) should possible be distinguished compared to the others (more rp).

EX:

1. Character has to be in good standing with the family and must have a certain honor/prestige obtained to do this. Honor above 50, Prestige above 30 or however is decided.

2. Family must be affluent I would suspect that's above 5k in gold or around approximately.

3. Family spends 500gold to create heirloom for said member of the family. Also items can be distinguished show more importance to certain members. 1per member.

4. Same as item it has a bonus attached to it. However, the bonus can be negative or positive depending on the relationship with the family. For instance, family members not on the same continent as the family home don't get the same bonus as ones in that realm or on that continent . The bonus is also regulated by how much the noble has sent back home, the time in said realm, and positions held (maybe even battles).

5. They can be lost and taken resulting in a negative standpoint with family. Heirloom like items need to be repaired but instead of a sage a family smith could do it for a fee to the family or the char.

It doesn't have to show up as the items do on battle reports it get rather annoying I think. I'm not sure how knowledge of heirlooms would work.

Just a thought I had.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
Re: Family Heirlooms
« Reply #1: December 01, 2011, 04:47:19 AM »
I support that. The fact that only gold counts to the wealth of a family is something too simple and too small, but we have the issue about items bounded to the continents. How can you send a heirloom from Dwilight to the chief of the family on the East Continent?

And, if I can add something to your idea, I suggest the option to move the mansion being given to the chief of the family, instead to every hero of that family. It sounds better.

egamma

« Reply #2: December 01, 2011, 05:19:27 AM »
I support that. The fact that only gold counts to the wealth of a family is something too simple and too small, but we have the issue about items bounded to the continents. How can you send a heirloom from Dwilight to the chief of the family on the East Continent?

And, if I can add something to your idea, I suggest the option to move the mansion being given to the chief of the family, instead to every hero of that family. It sounds better.

How do you designate the chief of your family?

I oppose this, after some thought. We should encourage players to do other things with their wealth, like creating guilds, religions, personal armies, giving away gold to poor knights, placing large bounties on people who cross them, performing family investments daily, building recruiting centers and warehouses and banner-makers.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 01, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »
I've been playing since 2008. My family wealth is 1150 gold. To those who had the desire to amass family wealth for "status" something new to spend it on will hardly matter. To the rest of us, we found many things already deserving of our hard earned gold.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 01, 2011, 07:07:28 AM »
I've been playing since 2008. My family wealth is 1150 gold. To those who had the desire to amass family wealth for "status" something new to spend it on will hardly matter. To the rest of us, we found many things already deserving of our hard earned gold.

I was 12th richest family this morning, with 9998 gold! :P

Family gold is like an insurance fund.

And anyways, what else are you to do with all that gold during peace time? Why bother fielding large units when in realms that don't do war?

Of course, without affluent friends and/or many dukeships, it does take quite a while to get family wealth over 5k gold, or even 3k gold. But 3k gold (I think it is) unlocks options, so I consider it to be quite worth the investment.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 01, 2011, 07:26:15 AM »
I was 12th richest family this morning, with 9998 gold! :P

Family gold is like an insurance fund.

And anyways, what else are you to do with all that gold during peace time? Why bother fielding large units when in realms that don't do war?

Of course, without affluent friends and/or many dukeships, it does take quite a while to get family wealth over 5k gold, or even 3k gold. But 3k gold (I think it is) unlocks options, so I consider it to be quite worth the investment.

During peace time I do many of these

We should encourage players to do other things with their wealth, like creating guilds, religions, personal armies, giving away gold to poor knights, placing large bounties on people who cross them, performing family investments daily, building recruiting centers and warehouses and banner-makers.

Particularly the RC one, I really really want to get another 90+/90+ infantry RC in Arcaea, and I would love to see a 90+ range 4 archer RC in PeL

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 01, 2011, 07:34:12 AM »
How do you designate the chief of your family?

I oppose this, after some thought. We should encourage players to do other things with their wealth, like creating guilds, religions, personal armies, giving away gold to poor knights, placing large bounties on people who cross them, performing family investments daily, building recruiting centers and warehouses and banner-makers.

Meh, it usually doesn't take long to get RCs worth keeping, even if they aren't excellent (unless the rest of your realm has nothing but excellent RCs). Same with the rest of the buildings. All doable with but your local income with but a few months' worth of peace. There's usually no point to personal guilds, religions' financial requirements are great but nothing compared to their time requirements. As for investments, why the hell would you do that? Send your gold to your family, so that later you can bring it back in the wealth, with a net loss most of the time (probably almost all of the time now, with estate efficiency), splitting it with everyone aligned to the region. You may as well just give gold to everyone directly, there'll be less spoilage. Investments are only for when you have a lot of money saved up and a special need arises, or if you've got people on other continents financing you, because while they do result in spoilage they at least don't cost honor.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 01, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »
Meh, it usually doesn't take long to get RCs worth keeping, even if they aren't excellent (unless the rest of your realm has nothing but excellent RCs). Same with the rest of the buildings. All doable with but your local income with but a few months' worth of peace. There's usually no point to personal guilds, religions' financial requirements are great but nothing compared to their time requirements. As for investments, why the hell would you do that? Send your gold to your family, so that later you can bring it back in the wealth, with a net loss most of the time (probably almost all of the time now, with estate efficiency), splitting it with everyone aligned to the region. You may as well just give gold to everyone directly, there'll be less spoilage. Investments are only for when you have a lot of money saved up and a special need arises, or if you've got people on other continents financing you, because while they do result in spoilage they at least don't cost honor.

Like I said, people tend to want to send that much gold to their family, are unlikely to change that unless we introduce a gold sink that provides a invaluable reason to spend it. If they aren't going to spend it on goal like getting perfect RC's, or aren't inclined to support guilds and religions for RP purposes, then unless something indispensable is added they will continue to send it to their family.

There is no problem with this, I was just stating for those with a different mindset, there is already tons of things to spend gold on. Fortunately my characters have not reached the stage where they are worried about the "net loss" their actions might entail, pretty sure they don't even know what that means, more then one assumes that he has an endless supply of gold anyway.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 01, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
Like I said, people tend to want to send that much gold to their family, are unlikely to change that unless we introduce a gold sink that provides a invaluable reason to spend it. If they aren't going to spend it on goal like getting perfect RC's, or aren't inclined to support guilds and religions for RP purposes, then unless something indispensable is added they will continue to send it to their family.

There is no problem with this, I was just stating for those with a different mindset, there is already tons of things to spend gold on. Fortunately my characters have not reached the stage where they are worried about the "net loss" their actions might entail, pretty sure they don't even know what that means, more then one assumes that he has an endless supply of gold anyway.

Well, endless spending denies the ability to finance rebels, or buy out regions. To me, these are nifty tools to have in one's arsenals. As for the "perfect RC", I tend to deal with that on the realm-level, since odds are, if your region is anything but a city, you'll eventually want to upgrade out of it anyways. I've led vast campaigns of realm-wide infrastructure improvement in the past, during peace time. Great effects were indeed reached. But I was mostly a coordinator, every lord had to pay for most of the infrastructure he was instructed to build or destroy, though I sent a bit of gold from my government salary. Since RCs are shared by everyone in the realm, it's much more cheaper and interesting to develop RCs in various regions of the realm, hoping one of them will be really good, then it is to scrap RCs in your own region over and over again until you get it right.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 01, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
Well, endless spending denies the ability to finance rebels, or buy out regions. To me, these are nifty tools to have in one's arsenals. As for the "perfect RC", I tend to deal with that on the realm-level, since odds are, if your region is anything but a city, you'll eventually want to upgrade out of it anyways. I've led vast campaigns of realm-wide infrastructure improvement in the past, during peace time. Great effects were indeed reached. But I was mostly a coordinator, every lord had to pay for most of the infrastructure he was instructed to build or destroy, though I sent a bit of gold from my government salary. Since RCs are shared by everyone in the realm, it's much more cheaper and interesting to develop RCs in various regions of the realm, hoping one of them will be really good, then it is to scrap RCs in your own region over and over again until you get it right.

Who said I was financing RC's in my region only? That would be hard, since I lack a single region lordship on my account these days. All I said was building good RC's for the realm I never said I was having them built in my region.

I've never financed rebels or bought a region, neither option would make sense for my current characters, so why would they send money to the family against that need? Indeed I rarely send money to the family at all, each character paid off their debts for their initial funding, and some have had to pay off borrowings at other times, but generally my characters keep their money, use it or donate it.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 01, 2011, 08:30:55 AM »
Who said I was financing RC's in my region only? That would be hard, since I lack a single region lordship on my account these days. All I said was building good RC's for the realm I never said I was having them built in my region.

I've never financed rebels or bought a region, neither option would make sense for my current characters, so why would they send money to the family against that need? Indeed I rarely send money to the family at all, each character paid off their debts for their initial funding, and some have had to pay off borrowings at other times, but generally my characters keep their money, use it or donate it.

Being able to repair in enemy lands is also quite a nifty benefit. I've never actually bought a region, because I always possessed something better myself once I got the wealth for it, but rebels I've used many times. If I filled my family coffers, it ain't because I'm just sending all of my region's income in order to boost some stat. It's because it's actually of use to me, and large quantities regularly leak out of it and then later back in.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 01, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
Being able to repair in enemy lands is also quite a nifty benefit. I've never actually bought a region, because I always possessed something better myself once I got the wealth for it, but rebels I've used many times. If I filled my family coffers, it ain't because I'm just sending all of my region's income in order to boost some stat. It's because it's actually of use to me, and large quantities regularly leak out of it and then later back in.

And thus in your case in no way the meaningless status icon referred to in the original post. Thus like those of us that use money before it hits the family coffers, or regularly draw down on the funds for other means, it is unlikely you need a new feature that is mostly bauble to spend it on correct?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 01, 2011, 10:08:31 AM »
And thus in your case in no way the meaningless status icon referred to in the original post. Thus like those of us that use money before it hits the family coffers, or regularly draw down on the funds for other means, it is unlikely you need a new feature that is mostly bauble to spend it on correct?

Don't need that feature, no.

But I would kinda like heirlooms of the sort. I had a unique item at one point that had been passed off from one character to the other when he died, and which he had used for quite a while. I quite liked it, but it ended up needing to be constantly repaired, which sucked. I'm always been found of the idea of having a unique item that doesn't break, or by having all items that break continue to exist.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: December 09, 2011, 01:00:39 AM »
But...you know...something you can't keep with you. Because then pretty soon everyone wants one, and then the game dies a horrible death of memory blowing up because there are too many unique items that stay forever in the game. Because, you know, no one actually wants to give them up or let them decay, and everyone wants at least one, and then someone else wants one, and then someone wants more than one, etc....

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 09, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
But...you know...something you can't keep with you. Because then pretty soon everyone wants one, and then the game dies a horrible death of memory blowing up because there are too many unique items that stay forever in the game. Because, you know, no one actually wants to give them up or let them decay, and everyone wants at least one, and then someone else wants one, and then someone wants more than one, etc....

Items can still be dropped in battle. Add in a random chance of 0% items being accidentally discarded by your servants if needed. That way, you have an incentive not to let it drop to 0%, but 0% items aren't forever lost and you can ask advies to find it back for you if you messed up and really want it back.