Author Topic: Imperial guards?  (Read 3128 times)

Draeon

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Imperial guards?
« Topic Start: November 30, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
Allow me to start by saying I have not played this game for long, in fact I just returned from a leap of absence. Though I have not played long I have come upon something that makes little to no sense to me.

Imperial Knights,  to my knowledge, are the personal knights to the king. I have recently been informed that the imperial knights are possibly being removed from the economic system soon? I'm no entirely sure how true this is, but I just wanted to voice my concern on the matter. You see currently I am a member of a duchy wherein our king is a priest. He cannot have soldiers due to this, and if the imperial knights are removed, how is he to be protected from assassination attempts or enemy soldiers in our land of unrest?

I would very much like to see the imperial knight position remain in the game, as it is valuable in duchies wherein the king is a priest and has no protection otherwise.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial guards?
« Reply #1: November 30, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »
How, exactly, do you expect Imperial Knights to protect the King from assassination?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 30, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
Allow me to start by saying I have not played this game for long, in fact I just returned from a leap of absence. Though I have not played long I have come upon something that makes little to no sense to me.

Imperial Knights,  to my knowledge, are the personal knights to the king. I have recently been informed that the imperial knights are possibly being removed from the economic system soon? I'm no entirely sure how true this is, but I just wanted to voice my concern on the matter. You see currently I am a member of a duchy wherein our king is a priest. He cannot have soldiers due to this, and if the imperial knights are removed, how is he to be protected from assassination attempts or enemy soldiers in our land of unrest?

I would very much like to see the imperial knight position remain in the game, as it is valuable in duchies wherein the king is a priest and has no protection otherwise.

This is not in fact how it worked. Imperial knights in the old system are nobles (player characters) who owe fealty directly to the ruler instead of to a region lord. They are not bodyguards to the King but normal characters of whatever class they choose.

Priests cannot lead a unit on the field of battle, but there is nothing preventing you from roleplaying some small guards that only protect the character and do not actually intervene in battle. They do not as a matter of fact get assassinated so easily, so it is reasonable to assume they have some protection.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Draeon

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 01, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »
I see, so can any affirmations be made as to whether or not the new system will no longer have he imperial knight position? I would still personally prefer for it to remain simply as a way for nobles to swear fealty directly to the king without holding any further position of power than knighthood. It would make sense, I would think, seeing as how knights could swear fealty directly to the king in mankind's own history.

Just stating my opinion is all, I do appreciate the time you fellows are takin to read and respond :)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 01, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »
You could, in a way.  If the King were a Duke and a Lord, you could then have someone swear to them directly, and call themself an Imperial Knight.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 01, 2011, 06:29:04 AM »
You could, in a way.  If the King were a Duke and a Lord, you could then have someone swear to them directly, and call themself an Imperial Knight.

Indeed. If you want to swear fealty to a ruler that's also the duke of the capital, you can swear fealty to my character in Fheuv'n. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 01, 2011, 06:32:27 AM »

I would love to know where the idea of Imperial Knights providing an assassination defense came from.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Draeon

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 01, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight, guys.

@De-Legro
My delirious, deranged, sleep deprived, copiously drugged mind. Except not really copiously drugged. The point stands.