Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 428088 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #45: December 04, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
Oh yeah, the books. We put the BM equivalent of a nuclear bomb into the game, and you lot basically ignored it. :-)

Well we found one.. And despite scouring around for a long time for the others, turned up zilch.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: December 04, 2011, 02:37:14 PM »
We used some... Many failed to work, and then the monsters seemed to basically laugh at the rest.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: December 04, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »
We used some... Many failed to work, and then the monsters seemed to basically laugh at the rest.

Are you talking about the books or scrolls?

The book we found was the Book of Daimon Banishing, part of a trilogy. Had we managed to complete it, it would have been much more useful than a few simple scrolls.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: December 04, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »
If by "often times" you mean "only in the third invasion to date"...

I'm not saying don't keep an eye out, but you shouldn't hope too hard that the macguffin will appear through adventurers. The third invasion had portal stones found by adventurers, the fourth had the Light and the Avatars. Who knows what this one will have?

Wasn't the arrival of the Archons (pretty sure they were Archons, not 'Avatars', unless I missed something) triggered by Advies or items that Advies found? That's what I always thought, though I could easily be mistaken. The actual plot line of the Fourth Invasion is as clear as mud to me.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #49: December 04, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
Apparently them Archons were the way them humans had a fighting chance. As in really going CS vs CS type chance.

But them Archons were sorta controlled by the Tom guy, because the way to bust them up, you couldn't do it using normal game mechs. Seeing as how 4th is done and over with, I guess I can out and say what the deal with that was. You had to see an archon somewhere, and if you had an invader unit, you give Tom an email saying that or something. Then archon goes poofy poofsters. So like, the undead one was this weird undeadish guy. I forgot what the monster one was, but the daimon one was some demon chick or something. It said I was lusting after her o.O...No I wasn't...

Them books exist on Dwilight too, btw. Mr. Jim has one for Monster Hunting. It's just there for no reason.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: December 04, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
Are you talking about the books or scrolls?

The book we found was the Book of Daimon Banishing, part of a trilogy. Had we managed to complete it, it would have been much more useful than a few simple scrolls.

The scrolls created by the books, of course.

And that was because while the daimon and undead scrolls actually killed many of their dudes, the monster scroll just lowered their morale.

Edit: And because scrolls have a high miss chance.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #51: December 04, 2011, 07:36:20 PM »
That's pretty funny though. Monsters have no special scroll to counter them. It reminds me of that story I dropped about how there was magic to fight the daimons and undead, but the only way to defeat enemies of flesh and blood was courage. Or something dumb like that, lol. That's probably why I stopped.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: December 04, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
That's pretty funny though. Monsters have no special scroll to counter them. It reminds me of that story I dropped about how there was magic to fight the daimons and undead, but the only way to defeat enemies of flesh and blood was courage. Or something dumb like that, lol. That's probably why I stopped.

We just brought in the daimons to fight for us. More effective than anything else was, though the way their combat code worked resulted in them never being able to actually really defeat each other (every large battle killed a lot of daimons and monsters from the large units, but spawned a ton of small units).

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #53: December 04, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
That was probably the "incorrect" way of doing it, if there was any correct way to begin with (It is rumored there was, but despite it being "simple", none of us were smart enough to figure it out, or if any of figured it out, none of us were capable of doing anything about it, which is just as lols.)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: December 04, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »
That was probably the "incorrect" way of doing it, if there was any correct way to begin with (It is rumored there was, but despite it being "simple", none of us were smart enough to figure it out, or if any of figured it out, none of us were capable of doing anything about it, which is just as lols.)

Well, the alternative was pretty much to roll over and die. Many in Enweil were not very active at that time, so by the time they actually got to playing The Dream, the rewards had been stopped. Attempts to trade scrolls had also proved not very successful. So while mass scroll using probably *would* have succeeded in making morale of these units low enough for them to revolt (I was told they had quite low morale), getting that many was simply not possible.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: December 04, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
Well, the alternative was pretty much to roll over and die. Many in Enweil were not very active at that time, so by the time they actually got to playing The Dream, the rewards had been stopped. Attempts to trade scrolls had also proved not very successful. So while mass scroll using probably *would* have succeeded in making morale of these units low enough for them to revolt (I was told they had quite low morale), getting that many was simply not possible.

The dream rewards were never meant to be the solution, they bought time nothing else. The two solutions I can see that were possible were the books that advies could find, and the light. Mind you both are just guesses.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: December 04, 2011, 11:49:15 PM »
The dream rewards were never meant to be the solution, they bought time nothing else. The two solutions I can see that were possible were the books that advies could find, and the light. Mind you both are just guesses.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, THOSE BOOKS!

I was getting confused over things.

Okay, to clarify, I never got three books of any kind. I tried, but never found enough trading partners, and most advies jealously kept their books anyways. After all, who would want to give his book to someone else? Everyone obviously desired to get the three himself. And the seemed soooo rare.

Plus, the description hinted they did little more than help the advy when he hunts monsters. Others have suggested it was much more useful and powerful than that, but the IG description did not.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: December 04, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »
The scrolls created by the books, of course.

And that was because while the daimon and undead scrolls actually killed many of their dudes, the monster scroll just lowered their morale.

Edit: And because scrolls have a high miss chance.

There is a relationship between the effects of a scroll and the nature of the invaders.

Daimons are banished.
Undead are burned*.
Monsters, as beings that aren't supernatural, were subject to immense fear.

So while mass scroll using probably *would* have succeeded in making morale of these units low enough for them to revolt (I was told they had quite low morale), getting that many was simply not possible.

Low morale means early and disorganized retreats. The monsters lost thousands of troops because of morale.

Wasn't the arrival of the Archons (pretty sure they were Archons, not 'Avatars', unless I missed something) triggered by Advies or items that Advies found? That's what I always thought, though I could easily be mistaken. The actual plot line of the Fourth Invasion is as clear as mud to me.

"Archon" was a word adopted to refer to the priests of the Light. Avatars were different and appeared only at the very end of the invasion. They had... very large effects on the invasion forces and were more or less why all three forces sputtered out as they did.

"Archon" was a word adopted to refer to both the priests of the Light and creatures that appeared only towards the very end of the invasion. They had... very large effects on the invasion forces and were more or less why all three forces sputtered out as they did.

Edit: Oh wow did I ever get that wrong.

*Because of the nature of the Many, scrolls were particularly ineffective against them and merely 'dissociated' the troops.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:48:33 AM by ^ban^ »
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: December 05, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, THOSE BOOKS!

I was getting confused over things.

Okay, to clarify, I never got three books of any kind. I tried, but never found enough trading partners, and most advies jealously kept their books anyways. After all, who would want to give his book to someone else? Everyone obviously desired to get the three himself. And the seemed soooo rare.

Plus, the description hinted they did little more than help the advy when he hunts monsters. Others have suggested it was much more useful and powerful than that, but the IG description did not.

I don't remember why, but we in DoA were convinced the books were the answer. Yes we had trouble trying to actually get them though, but then that is the breaks. Invasions are meant to be stopped by cooperation, if the advies don't want to cooperate then that solution won't be viable due to player choices, just as other players choices rendered any possible solution revolving around the light quiet difficult. The GM's provide the options, it is up to the player based to utilise them.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #59: December 05, 2011, 12:55:57 AM »
I was under the rumored impressionable half-truth that it might have been possible, but neither affirmed nor denied, that adventurers playing the Dream got books instead of scrolls. Seeing as how the noble game gets all the attention, it is unsurprising that this is based only on the gossip of girls who are not named Gilmore.