Author Topic: Ron Paul  (Read 19193 times)

Zakilevo

Ron Paul
« Topic Start: December 07, 2011, 05:50:29 AM »
Why isn't this man President of the USA yet? I mean this man knows what he is talking about compare to other morons running...

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Paul
« Reply #1: December 07, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »
lol
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 07, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »
If I had to vote for a republican it would be him, though if I had to choose a party it would be democratic. He is better then other politicians for being against stuff like the patriot act and sopa, but he also has some extreme views on other stuff compared to other politicians like wanting America to pull out of NATO.

I guess it is good he sticks with what he thinks is right, but if just stuck with what makes him popular(sorta obvious) and took a general republican stance on the other stuff then he would be top tier.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 07, 2011, 06:54:01 AM »
Speaking as someone who worked for Dr. Paul (as he is known by his admirers) in 2008, I can very much understand why he is, with good reason, not the president. Even though I have enormous respect for his character and integrity, and count him one of my primary political inspirations, and agree with many of his policy positions, I would still feel dubious about having him as president due to a fear about his ability to preserve continuity with previous administrations.

Basically, the president is not a legislator, ultimately. People might want him to be, but he isn't. I increasingly favor moderate technocrats with an emphasis on foreign policy for president. Keep Paul in the House. Maybe make him Speaker. Heck, even a cabinet post could be interesting. But I have a hard time seeing Paul as an effective president or as a reliable voice in foreign policy.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: December 07, 2011, 07:10:24 AM »
Well with Obama trying to expand the military influence of America, I doubt America will get out of the debt crisis any time soon. Well this will be too extreme but if things don't work out until the end, America will have no choice but to declare moratorium.

As for NATO, why do they still even run that organization? The Cold War is over and there is no need for a huge militaristic organization like that. And about having 900 bases in 135 countries? That is just ridiculous.

My country have a couple of US bases and let me tell you. They only cause problems and damage the reputation of US. People now think American soldiers are nothing but scums plaguing the country.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 07, 2011, 07:15:32 AM »
well.. their plan to solving their budget crisis is no doubt to sell outdated arms to all sorts of idiots.
firefox

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: December 07, 2011, 07:24:11 AM »
Doubt there will be enough morons to by that many weapons.

America needs 15 trillion dollars. That is a lot of money. And I believe US only gets about 2-3 trillion dollars from the taxpayers per year....

Now they are trying to bail out Europe? Are they crazy? They can't even pay their own debt and they are trying to help someone else. That is like a baby trying to change a dipper for another baby.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 07, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »
Ron Paul is crazy. All the crazy filters out when he's in congress, because crazy is so concentrated there, and you only hear about the good stuff.

I mean, the gold standard? No separation of church and state? Seriously?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: December 07, 2011, 09:28:38 AM »
Wait what? He said there shouldn't be a separation with the church and the state? Uh that is a bit crazy. I mean there are enough crazies in America who voted Bush because he is a christian... We don't need more church freaks. They are already making the church look bad.

Though I doubt Ron Paul will make merge the church and the state. I don't mind gold standard. No inflation there at least. Inflation is like tax...

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 07, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »
If you honestly think that the gold standard is an acceptable economic basis in the 21st century, you don't know anything on the subject. I'll leave it at that.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 07, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »
Speaking as someone who worked for Dr. Paul (as he is known by his admirers) in 2008, I can very much understand why he is, with good reason, not the president. Even though I have enormous respect for his character and integrity, and count him one of my primary political inspirations, and agree with many of his policy positions, I would still feel dubious about having him as president due to a fear about his ability to preserve continuity with previous administrations.

Basically, the president is not a legislator, ultimately. People might want him to be, but he isn't. I increasingly favor moderate technocrats with an emphasis on foreign policy for president. Keep Paul in the House. Maybe make him Speaker. Heck, even a cabinet post could be interesting. But I have a hard time seeing Paul as an effective president or as a reliable voice in foreign policy.

My heart just broke a little.

No separation of church and state? Seriously?

Not sure I know of him ever saying that. Other than saying that "Separation of Church and State" is no where in the Constitution... 'cause it isn't.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 07, 2011, 11:10:15 AM »
Ron Paul is crazy. All the crazy filters out when he's in congress, because crazy is so concentrated there, and you only hear about the good stuff.

I mean, the gold standard? No separation of church and state? Seriously?

Do you really have separation of church and state now? They aren't as tightly interwoven as they could be, but are they truly completely separated?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 07, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »
Doubt there will be enough morons to by that many weapons.

America needs 15 trillion dollars. That is a lot of money. And I believe US only gets about 2-3 trillion dollars from the taxpayers per year....

Now they are trying to bail out Europe? Are they crazy? They can't even pay their own debt and they are trying to help someone else. That is like a baby trying to change a dipper for another baby.

Ummm... we don't need to pay of $15 trillion. The Us has $15 trillion in debt, and a $15 trillion GDP. That's a lot of debt, but not catastrophic. The UK has about 65% of its GDP. It's a large debt, and a long-run issue, but not yet the great existential catastrophe it has become in some European countries. It's a huge issue, but there are bigger issues than present debt financing: unfunded liabilities in the future, for example.

And, to my knowledge, the US has not offered any material support in the Euro debt crisis.

Do you really have separation of church and state now? They aren't as tightly interwoven as they could be, but are they truly completely separated?

They're not perfectly separated and, constitutionally (and historically), a complete separation is neither legally necessary nor inherently desirable. I'm thinking, for example, of the role of German churches in vergangenheitsbewältigung. Actually, I'm not really, I just wanted to use that word. Consider many American churches in the civil rights movement. Many also had negative influences, but it's worth noting the prominence of the prefix "rev." in civil rights leaders.

If you honestly think that the gold standard is an acceptable economic basis in the 21st century, you don't know anything on the subject. I'll leave it at that.

So you're anti-Euro?

Because the Euro is almost indistinguishable in its mechanics from a gold standard, except it's even less flexible. The Euro is a fiat currency, true, but a fiat currency governed by an institution with no authority to significantly alter its value, and with little authority to intervene in debt markets (though that is being changed) which are the traditional playground for fiat currencies.

A fiat currency not controlled by a national government is very strange. And why gold standards were adopted: because banks were issuing their own de facto fiat currencies, and governments wanted to reclaim control of money markets.

Going to the gold standard would be fantastically difficult. Any type of representational money would be. There are pragmatic issues. But suggesting that fiduciary, commodity, or representative money is just some kind of idiotic anachronism seems the height of folly when fiat currencies haven't even proven their ability to last a single century, when commodity moneys have served humankind for thousands of years.

My heart just broke a little.

Don't get me wrong; I'd vote for him over Obama. And if the primary is still competitive when it comes to KY, I'd be very tempted... but I just don't think Paul would be effective as President. At all. And that wouldn't achieve a sort of implicit accomplishment of "small government" policies in the way an ineffective congress does; it would just be 4 years of frustration, humiliation, and government-by-bureaucracy.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: December 07, 2011, 06:31:47 PM »
Like Ron Paul said, it will either be international currency or the gold standard. And by looking at Euro I doubt this so called international currency will work. It will destroy other smaller nations.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 07, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
Like Ron Paul said, it will either be international currency or the gold standard. And by looking at Euro I doubt this so called international currency will work. It will destroy other smaller nations.

Heh, actually, right now, simple national fiat currencies are not looking too bad.