Author Topic: Ron Paul  (Read 19228 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Paul
« Reply #45: January 16, 2012, 01:49:47 AM »
Vellos, how can you say all this and support Paul? You know that he wants to whittle down the US military to just enough to protect US territories, right? That probably means the US will no longer have more aircraft carriers than the rest of the world combined.

What Perth said.

Also... where did I say I'm an especially strong supporter of Ron Paul? I worked for him in 2008 briefly; I was downright passionate about him. I still find him a very interesting candidate representing a valuable point of view, and he has many policies with which I do agree. But I disagree with many as well.

Most importantly with a figure like Paul, however, is that any support I do have for him his ultimately not derivative from his policy positions in detail, but from the fact that he is one of the only candidates on either side who represents a known commodity. He can make the most credible "I promise X" statements of any candidate. And I respect him a great deal as a man and a political figure, even aside from any disagreements.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner