Author Topic: HALT! Who goes there?  (Read 29532 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: HALT! Who goes there?
« Reply #15: March 10, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
A fellow Kentuckian? Very nice!

Also a college student, 14 days shy of 20 years old. Bluegrass born and raised.

Born here, lived in the same eastern Ky small town until college came along. Only just recently, I've ran into several Kentuckians in BM. What College if you don't mind my asking?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 11, 2011, 12:30:24 AM »
Born here, lived in the same eastern Ky small town until college came along. Only just recently, I've ran into several Kentuckians in BM. What College if you don't mind my asking?

Murray State University, way out in the western side of the state.

Though, I was born and grew up in the Lexington area.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #17: March 11, 2011, 01:09:43 AM »
Soon to be 20 year old CS major in Canada, currently Waterloo, Ontario. :)

I play the Olivaw family.

Anyone else like problem solving, specifically the math or compsci ones?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 11, 2011, 03:16:14 AM »

Don't know about 'like'.. problem solving is more of a compulsion for me though I find people far more compelling than math or computers.. which don't tend to punch you, fire you, invade your country, incarcerate you  or refuse you intimate access to their naughty bits if you provide the 'wrong' solution.

Women are particularly intriguing because you can solve the problem and still be wrong because you solved the problem instead of sympathising with the fact there was a problem (I know there is a famous movie reference for that truism but it escapes me and my google-fu reveals nothing.. my wife thinks maybe 'White Men Can't Jump' but is not sure so I empathised with her frustration in not being able to remember just to be on the safe side.)

I love Canada, got a lot of family out there, awesome place and very much  like a really big Scotland but without some of the historical baggage.

I sense an academic, or at least intellectual, bent in the respondants to this thread. A common trait of BM players, do you think? or just of those willing to expose themselves on this thread?

"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 11, 2011, 03:31:05 AM »
Soon to be 20 year old CS major in Canada, currently Waterloo, Ontario. :)

I play the Olivaw family.

My only experience with CS has been few programming courses. So I can't really say that I know enough about CS. I do enjoy math problem solving. I've taken a few higher level math courses that aren't necessary for my major.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #20: March 11, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »
Don't know about 'like'.. problem solving is more of a compulsion for me though I find people far more compelling than math or computers.. which don't tend to punch you, fire you, invade your country, incarcerate you  or refuse you intimate access to their naughty bits if you provide the 'wrong' solution.

Very true... hehe, when given two problems, you *should* solve the human one first. ;)
Women are particularly intriguing because you can solve the problem and still be wrong because you solved the problem instead of sympathising with the fact there was a problem (I know there is a famous movie reference for that truism but it escapes me and my google-fu reveals nothing.. my wife thinks maybe 'White Men Can't Jump' but is not sure so I empathised with her frustration in not being able to remember just to be on the safe side.)

Haha, awesome.  Immediate application of said sympathy.  You are a good example for all... men. :)
I love Canada, got a lot of family out there, awesome place and very much  like a really big Scotland but without some of the historical baggage.

I sense an academic, or at least intellectual, bent in the respondants to this thread. A common trait of BM players, do you think? or just of those willing to expose themselves on this thread?
Hehe, we do have quite a few scottish people here too. ;)

I think it's a combination of both, BM is a game for those who are not engaged by the mindless drivel of the mainstream games.  Thus, likely more intellectual.  Those who post here are usually not afraid to expose themselves, thus usually resulting from a sense of accomplishment and fulfilled esteem, likely again to be at least somewhat intellectual. :D
My only experience with CS has been few programming courses. So I can't really say that I know enough about CS. I do enjoy math problem solving. I've taken a few higher level math courses that aren't necessary for my major.
Awesome!  I don't think higher level math courses are like any other courses, so they're a unique experience. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 11, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »

I've noticed a fair number in BM that are involved CS, math, science, or related fields. Though, it could be that they are drawn to this type of game, or that they are the more vocal of the player base.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 11, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
Canadian highshool student here, trying to make a living in battlemaster.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 11, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »
23 year old former college student (History). Now I just do things to get by while job hunting! I live in North Carolina, USA.

Player of the O'Neil family.

Triggster

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 11, 2011, 10:40:32 PM »
17 year old British female 6th form student, currently studying English Literature, History, Spanish and Physics as my chosen A levels. I'm not sure what the American equivalent of A levels are (I'm guessing it would be the last 2 years of high school?), sorry.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:06:01 AM by Triggster »

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 12, 2011, 12:28:59 AM »
17 year old British female 6th form student, currently studying English Literature, History, Spanish and Physics as my chosen A levels. I'm not sure what the American equivalent of A levels are (I'm guessing it would be the last 2 years of high school?), sorry.

Languages, Physics and History? Interesting combo :)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #26: March 12, 2011, 12:52:37 AM »
That sounds about right for a well-balanced high school student.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 12, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
I am originally from Québec, although I have been living in Switzerland for close to 6 years now. I just turned 30. I was a Physics student until I graduated last year, now I work selling lasers to other physicists.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #28: March 12, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
I am originally from Québec, although I have been living in Switzerland for close to 6 years now. I just turned 30. I was a Physics student until I graduated last year, now I work selling lasers to other physicists.

Do you also sell to more questionable people? ;)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 12, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Do you also sell to more questionable people? ;)

Yes! Even chemists sometimes!
After all it's a roleplaying game.