Author Topic: HALT! Who goes there?  (Read 29788 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: HALT! Who goes there?
« Reply #30: March 12, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
Yes! Even chemists sometimes!

Haha, very nice! :D
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 12, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
17 year old British female 6th form student, currently studying English Literature, History, Spanish and Physics as my chosen A levels. I'm not sure what the American equivalent of A levels are (I'm guessing it would be the last 2 years of high school?), sorry.

Yeah, there's not really any direct equivalent of the 6th form here.  We just go straight through the 4 years of high school without much of a break.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 12, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
Yeah, there's not really any direct equivalent of the 6th form here.  We just go straight through the 4 years of high school without much of a break.

Do you only go through 4 years of high school?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 12, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Do you only go through 4 years of high school?

Well, unless we fail a grade ;)

Typical American schooling is Elementary School which is Kindergarten then grades 1-5, Middle School which is grades 6-8, and High School which is grades 9-12.  There are variants which move grades around between schools (K-6, 7-9, 10-12 is a common pattern, too).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #34: March 12, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »

Typical American schooling is Elementary School which is Kindergarten then grades 1-5, Middle School which is grades 6-8, and High School which is grades 9-12.  There are variants which move grades around between schools (K-6, 7-9, 10-12 is a common pattern, too).

Yep, and typical Canadian schooling is Elementary School (grades 1 - 8) and High School (grades 9 - 12).  We don't normally have middle schools. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 12, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »
In the UK it's generally Primary School (7 years typically starting at 4 or 5 years old) then 'Secondary' or 'High' School (6 years) though you can leave school voluntarily at 16 (co-incidentally the minimum age required to join the army but 2 years too young to be considered adult enough to drink, smoke or vote.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:27:28 PM by wraith »
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #36: March 12, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
In the UK it's generally Primary School (7 years typically starting at 4 or 5 years old) then 'Secondary' or 'High' School (6 years) though you can leave school voluntarily at 16.

Whaa, and do what? :o  That's not the same as dropping out, right?

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 12, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
Whaa, and do what? :o  That's not the same as dropping out, right?

I realised someone would ask that so edited my post a bit as you were posting the question.

There is no concept of graduating high school in the UK (it's all exams, evaluations and certificates on a per-subject and per-level basis with a limited choice of subjects after about 2rd year of Secondary School) so no concept of dropping-out.

You can join the army, get married, go to college or university, get a job (with reduced minimum wage) or sign-on as unemployed (at a reduced rate of benefit)

Or you can get a load of part-time jobs, skateboard a lot, start a band and teach yourself computing like I did.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:39:53 PM by wraith »
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Triggster

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 12, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
You can join the army, get married, go to college or university, get a job (with reduced minimum wage) or sign-on as unemployed (at a reduced rate of benefit)

University isn't an option after leaving education at 16 unless you mean doing an open university course?  :p

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 12, 2011, 10:59:53 PM »

University isn't an option after leaving education at 16 unless you mean doing an open university course?  :p

True, except in exceptional circumstances. My mistake.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 13, 2011, 06:19:30 AM »
Australia is similar. You can leave school at the end of year 10, or stay and do another 2 years of high school, and then sit the final exams, which have a different name depending on what state you live in. Those final exams have very little meaning outside of going to uni, though it always looks good to have good marks. The leaving school at 16 thing was once VERY common. As little as 20 years ago the majority of students would leave at 16 and then get a trade, go to trade school and live their lives. Now its more common to finish off the final two years, and then figure out what you want to do, but you can still legally start learning a trade at 16.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #41: March 13, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »
20 year old human, male, a student of history at Sydney University. Main area is European history from the fall of Rome to the discovery of the new world with stuff around the place, but basically medieval history is my current love affair. Aside from all of that I also enjoy a healthy dose of poetry and heroic fantasy. I'm also both mature for my age and very childish.

I play the Haerthorne family.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Oszero

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 15, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
20 year old English guy, moved to Malta a couple of years ago. I'm a student currently studying Applied Science (Industry + Laboratory Science) I love European Medieval history with a passion. I've been playing BM since I was a wee lad and to be honest.. I'm not sure what else to say.  :)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: March 15, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »

Aha. First I thought you quit school two years earlier than we do here, but the clusters of Elementary (Middle) and High school are just different :)

In Belgium we're required to be educated until we're 18, though that doesn't necessarily has to happen in school ...

Deytheur

« Reply #44: March 16, 2011, 11:23:13 PM »
male, Mid twenties, from Chicago but currently working on a masters in psychology of communications at New College, Oxford.

I just graduated in biochemistry from St. Catherine's College, Oxford. I know a few people from New!

(Also I play the Deytheur family)