Author Topic: Feature request: "Fame points for realms"  (Read 19081 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Feature request: "Fame points for realms"
« Reply #15: December 08, 2011, 05:27:57 AM »
No? Too much Catan it seems...

Oh well. So I guess we are sticking with Chenier's achievement idea?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 08, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
We used to have a glory score, for a very brief period of time. It was far too obscure, though.

I think the best system is one that includes static and dynamic criterias. Stuff like "field X amount of CS" is fine, as it can push realms to surpass themselves, but the majority of the points should go towards rewarding realms who once had the most X, and especially the realms who currently have the most X. Could be interesting to also have other realms have their glory score scaled according to the top guy, so that you don't end up with the largest realm having 30 and everyone else having 0-10. For example, say you have a historical 2 points for having at least once fielded the largest army on average for a month, then attribute that having the largest army is worth 10(+5) points, for a total of 17 points, whereas someone who has half the military power but used to be the superpower would get 2+(10*0.5)=7 points. Sounds complicated, but it makes a lot of sense in my head. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 08, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »
Suggestions so far seem to all point towards expansion and militaristic regimes. I have found that small realms are more fun than big ones, yet it seems like small realms will not do good under this system.

How about setting different 'tech trees'? That way, you'd decide wether your realm would be rather army/religion/trade based. Achievements within a same line would provide bigger bonuses. That way, Trader realms like D'Hara would stand a chance, to be glorious realms in their own right, but in a far different way than the classic 'let's expand and beat our neighbours'. It would also provide a sense of continuity.

I should also note that hybrids should be possible. A realm should very well be able to be a bit of everything if they want to. But being the 5th realm on a continent which has a decent military, a few priests and a running trade game should be les glorious than being the top Priest realm, or the strongest military power. Compare it to a class system for realms, if you will.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: December 08, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
I do like the idea of having both historic achievements and current records. Something that keeps a record saying "this realm once was a might empire." as well as "right now, your realm fields the largest cavalry on the island".

And I am looking for achievements that make sense, not some arbitrary gamey numbers like most achivements in games have. "Largest realm on the island" makes a lot more sense than "having x number of regions".

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 08, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
Suggestions so far seem to all point towards expansion and militaristic regimes. I have found that small realms are more fun than big ones, yet it seems like small realms will not do good under this system.

How about setting different 'tech trees'? That way, you'd decide wether your realm would be rather army/religion/trade based. Achievements within a same line would provide bigger bonuses. That way, Trader realms like D'Hara would stand a chance, to be glorious realms in their own right, but in a far different way than the classic 'let's expand and beat our neighbours'. It would also provide a sense of continuity.

I should also note that hybrids should be possible. A realm should very well be able to be a bit of everything if they want to. But being the 5th realm on a continent which has a decent military, a few priests and a running trade game should be les glorious than being the top Priest realm, or the strongest military power. Compare it to a class system for realms, if you will.

I was thinking small realms need some love things like

Giant Killer - Successful persecute a war against a larger realm

Other achievements could be dependent upon realm size I guess something like great importers, import a quantity of food into the realm equal to a standard harvest within the harvest period (not saying this is achievable)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 08, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
We used to have a glory score, for a very brief period of time. It was far too obscure, though.

No, it's still there.  It's what was used to determine whether Too Much Peace would activate.  It also has some...other uses.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 08, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »
I was thinking small realms need some love things like

Giant Killer - Successful persecute a war against a larger realm

Other achievements could be dependent upon realm size I guess something like great importers, import a quantity of food into the realm equal to a standard harvest within the harvest period (not saying this is achievable)

Unfortunately, that's extremely difficult to keep track of.

After all, how do you determine who "won" the war?

If you determine it by one realm getting destroyed, then how do you know who was smaller when it started?

For that matter, how do you know when it started?  There have been plenty of wars that had ceasefires and even full peace treaties in the middle of them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 08, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »
Unfortunately, that's extremely difficult to keep track of.

After all, how do you determine who "won" the war?

If you determine it by one realm getting destroyed, then how do you know who was smaller when it started?

For that matter, how do you know when it started?  There have been plenty of wars that had ceasefires and even full peace treaties in the middle of them.

That was my though in general with achievements. Without some major modifications a lot of the things I think would be more interesting aren't really possible, and we are left with achievements for things like Largest Army, which generally favors the larger realms, or we will see realms pool money for months just so they can do a massive recruitment to get the achievement.

Giant Killers could be reworked for single battles though, awarded if you win a battle with x% less CS then your opponents, probably shouldn't be awarded if you have walls and are defending.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: December 08, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
That was my though in general with achievements. Without some major modifications a lot of the things I think would be more interesting aren't really possible, and we are left with achievements for things like Largest Army, which generally favors the larger realms, or we will see realms pool money for months just so they can do a massive recruitment to get the achievement.

Giant Killers could be reworked for single battles though, awarded if you win a battle with x% less CS then your opponents, probably shouldn't be awarded if you have walls and are defending.

I actually came up with a system that would allow the game to keep track of who wins a conflict, in theory.

Unfortunately, it was vastly more complex than anything we have now, and Tom nixed it for that.  Much as I would love to have something of the kind, I can't really disagree with him.
Timothy Collett

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: December 08, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »

You could say the same about character fame points. Some characters are extremely fun even though they are played in a way which will never accrue fame. There's nothing wrong with that.

However, when your character seems to have all it could ever want and remains just sitting there, chasing after the next fame point can help you get creative about shaking things up.

The same could happen for sleepy realms.

It's not about saying "such and such are wrong because they don't accrue fame". You can do everything right and not get much fame, only when you do something really special, then it's recognized.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: December 08, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
Here are a coupe of ideas:

Pious: Goes to the realm with lowest % of pagan population.
Mercantile: Goes to the realm with highest worth of food transaction.
Prosper: Goes to the realm with the highest region stat average.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #26: December 08, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »
You could say the same about character fame points. Some characters are extremely fun even though they are played in a way which will never accrue fame. There's nothing wrong with that.

You mean we should add a fame point for having gained less than 5 fame points in more than one year of playing or such? :-)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: December 08, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
You mean we should add a fame point for having gained less than 5 fame points in more than one year of playing or such? :-)

Fame point for writing X roleplays? Or X RP's that have been positevely reviewed? I've always wanted a 'like' button for roleplays. Nothing public, but just a way to express your gratitude to the writer, and provide some feedback :)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: December 08, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »
Fame point for writing X roleplays? Or X RP's that have been positevely reviewed? I've always wanted a 'like' button for roleplays. Nothing public, but just a way to express your gratitude to the writer, and provide some feedback :)

There are medals for that!

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: December 08, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »

Well.... it's probably hard, actually.

Anyway, my point was that this is not the kind of system where everyone will get their fair share. It's not equal, and it's not meant to be. I don't think it's unfair in any way that some realms will have no readily attainable fame points. It just gives you long term goals.