Author Topic: Feature request: "Fame points for realms"  (Read 19159 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Feature request: "Fame points for realms"
« Reply #30: December 08, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
I do like the idea of having both historic achievements and current records. Something that keeps a record saying "this realm once was a might empire." as well as "right now, your realm fields the largest cavalry on the island".

And I am looking for achievements that make sense, not some arbitrary gamey numbers like most achivements in games have. "Largest realm on the island" makes a lot more sense than "having x number of regions".

Do you think it would work to essentially make these achievements an IC thing? Obviously not especially visible from an IC perspective, but only things that the characters would (conceivably) actually want for their realms?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: December 08, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
Do you think it would work to essentially make these achievements an IC thing? Obviously not especially visible from an IC perspective, but only things that the characters would (conceivably) actually want for their realms?

Maybe they could be listed in the capital's region description? It'd also be cool if they were listed as buildings or some other tangible objects.

Like for the once mighty empire there could be a ruined palace, for the richest realm the Merchant Guild's headquarters or for the strongest realm a triumphal arch?

Those are things that while not really giving anything extra, my chars definitely would want to have in their capital (except for the ruined palace of course). And they also provide a little background and ingame insight into the current status and the history of the realm.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #32: December 08, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
That is a very interesting approach of turning this into something IC.

What if holding certain achievements allows you to construct special buildings, like the wonders in Civ games? So as long as you are the richest realm, you can build a merchant guild, which can even have some (small) advantage.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: December 08, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »

What if holding certain achievements allows you to construct special buildings, like the wonders in Civ games? So as long as you are the richest realm, you can build a merchant guild, which can even have some (small) advantage.

The part of Civ that I wouldn't want to see ported is the high cost of wonders. A consequence would be some realm avoiding wars during the time they are building the thing. There's nothing boring like not going to war because you're halfway through building a wonder and if you divert your ressources now it'll go to waste.

But if it's just an achievement (i.e. no or little gold), then it's a nice idea.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: December 08, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »
The part of Civ that I wouldn't want to see ported is the high cost of wonders. A consequence would be some realm avoiding wars during the time they are building the thing. There's nothing boring like not going to war because you're halfway through building a wonder and if you divert your ressources now it'll go to waste.

But if it's just an achievement (i.e. no or little gold), then it's a nice idea.

Well, the way we build things in BM doesn't really work that way, so I don't think that would be much of a problem.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: December 08, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »

How about the realm then being pay to have way-houses (something like a kind of ye oldie travel inn   :D ) built in other realms, so that their traders could use them along the way to raise moral of their troops if needed ect.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: December 08, 2011, 09:30:39 PM »
I don't like the idea of IG advantages.

Ability to "build monuments" would be neat. But actual advantages... I dislike very much.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #37: December 08, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
Well I think there should be a merit for achieving the achievements. There should be a reward. Just not an IG advantage kind. Bigger realms are already strong as they are. No need for more advantages.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: December 08, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
I don't like the idea of IG advantages.

Ability to "build monuments" would be neat. But actual advantages... I dislike very much.

I agree, if there are advantages they should really be small. Because, after all, if you got to the top, you likely don't need any help from the game to excel, and such bonuses would give an unfair advantage over others and therefore help cases where there's just no possible way to compete with the top dog.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #39: December 09, 2011, 01:06:04 AM »
You could also provide the option of destroying those monuments, at the cost of being able to do other stuff to the region. Or something like that. I don't know. Use your imagination to figure out how it can work, people. That way the game becomes something that new people might get excited in and contribute to with newer ideas and keep this up. I'd rather not see the half-empty scenario where BM turns into a declining decade-old game (10 years coming up soon in fact)

Zakilevo

« Reply #40: December 09, 2011, 01:17:24 AM »
Should have a 10th BM year party? Everyone gets a stickman avatar to decorate?

Jokes a side, maybe for the monument, it should have a list of people who have participated on building it? Everyone can put 1 block per a day? Small monuments need 50 blocks while big monuments need 200?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #41: December 09, 2011, 02:15:11 AM »
You guys are late to the party. The 11th birthday is coming up. 10th we already had.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: December 09, 2011, 05:08:51 AM »
Well I think there should be a merit for achieving the achievements. There should be a reward. Just not an IG advantage kind. Bigger realms are already strong as they are. No need for more advantages.

Titles.  Your realm is at the top, and everyone in it is a baronet rather than a knight, for instance.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #43: December 09, 2011, 05:16:20 AM »
That is pretty cool. If you look at Chinese Empires, their generals were considered one hierarchy higher than allied generals. Ex) Vice-Marshal being treated equal to Marshal of a smaller allied nation.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: December 09, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »
Titles.  Your realm is at the top, and everyone in it is a baronet rather than a knight, for instance.

It's an interesting idea. Weren't nearly all nobles of britain "barons", if they didn't have a more prestigious title?

Who would get this? The realm with the most glory, or the realm with the most, say, military glory?

As it could be an idea to split up the various glory points into categories, and have the realm who has the most military glory have one perk, the one with the most economic glory another, and so on. As long as the perks don't break the balance, so special titles for unlanded nobles is one interesting idea for that.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron