Author Topic: Torture Reports as Message Forwarding  (Read 28664 times)

Zuma GM

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Torture Reports as Message Forwarding
« Reply #30: December 10, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Have patience, remember BattleMaster is played by people all around the world in a variety of timezones so work/sleep/school/etc will mean that people can't respond to things immedietly. This is also true for GM people.
To respond to the initial complaint, which appears to have a fair amount if incorrect information in it. It is unfortunate it comes to this as it also means more information on the way the Zuma think is going to be explained rather than worked out because some people decide there must be OOC reasoning for things that happen that they don't like.

Full Complaint Text:
Summary: 
GM player requested torture of a character, and a forwarded report, for the express purpose of having a 100% reliable copy of the message for viewing, thereby skirting the long-standing lack of a message-forwarding option, a lack which is intentional precisely because 100% certainty ought not be available in such cases.

Details:
An adventurer sent a forged message to Haktoo. The real message was viewable by 42 nobles, including the Zuma Ambassador, Garret Artemesia. He testified to the Zuma concerning the true message. The Zuma withdrew from attacking Terran shortly thereafter, and requested that Terran send someone to talk to Haktoo personally.

The portion of the message which seems concerning is the reference to the "proof letter" and the "torture report."

It is demanded SO THAT the forgery can be INCONTROVERTIBLY proved. That relationship is clear from the letter. I privately sent an OOC complaint to the GM. The reply I received was:

My complaint, and the reason for filing this complaint under 2.4, is that message forwarding has been repeatedly denied as a feature, because the general consensus has been that we should not be able to perfectly validate messages. Torture reports, normally, are not "arranged" issues: we don't organize tortures to prove message validity. We accept them as valid because we, as players, know they are, and because the coding to make them ambiguous seems like it would be quite difficult and complex.

But to demand a torture report for the explicit purpose of getting 100% proof (and it is ONLY 100% proof because of OOC understandings by players) is clearly an attempt to "get around" the game mechanics that prevent message forwarding. Such metagaming is, somewhat to my surprise, not prohibited in the social contract, but seems in violation of fair play, and like an obvious exploitation of a game mechanic in a way it was not intended to be used.

Parts of original message removed as not required for the response.

First thing that needs to be made clear is that OOC I already know the letter was not real. However as the characters do not know this they are demanding more proof. The same characters that have used torture themselves in the past and know very well, to them at least, that torture successfully makes humans tell the truth. This is keeping the way the characters are played IG true to their characters and the knowledge they actually have and based on the way they understand humans. Also, due to the fact that there have been a number of human lies, the Daimons do not trust Garret on his word. Again, there seems to be presumption that because he is an ambassador he is seen by the Daimons the same way humans see their ambassadors so anything he tells me I should just accept. That would not then be keeping the characters in character. He serves a purpose.

So stating that I only asked for this to get 100% proof of the letter for OOC reasons is incorrect

It should also be noted that it was not requested that Terran send someone to talk personally. You were informed that the only way you could talk personally, which you asked, was if you came to us.

Understanding that OOC I am already fully aware of the truth and am making this request from a purely IC perspective, please continue any discussion with that in mind as the 'obvious exploitation' is apparently not that obvious.

Thanks.