Author Topic: Inter-realm Armies  (Read 3717 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Inter-realm Armies
« Topic Start: December 14, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »
So, it turns out that a city just seceded from Pian en Luries (go figure right? who would have thought?)

Anyway, this has presented the situation where my character on Dwilight is a member of Pian en Luries but is also a member of the army of the new realm created by the seceded city. This has presented what I would consider an interesting and possibly good situation where you can have an army that includes members from multiple realms. Now, I am unsure if this is a frequently requested (and denied) feature request but it seems to me that my Duke on Atamara could certainly find a use for an army that can have members from multiple realms. As well as some religions that like to field "militant groups" would be able to do so with this feature.

I realize it is currently a bug and that is already being looked into but was just wondering if this was possible and I would consider it a desirable feature.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Inter-realm Armies
« Reply #1: December 14, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
I don't think this is something that is ever likely to happen. I'm also not sure that it is something that is at all desirable.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 14, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
Highly unrealistic as well. What King would ever agree to lend out his knights/lords to another realm?

Sure, coalition armies exist. But only under the informal leadership of 1 man, if leadership is at all centralised. Like it is now in BM :)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 14, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
Highly unrealistic as well. What King would ever agree to lend out his knights/lords to another realm?

Sure, coalition armies exist. But only under the informal leadership of 1 man, if leadership is at all centralised. Like it is now in BM :)

Until the Lurians and the Enweili make their proper multi-realm empires, at least. Mind you, I don't think BT will survive long enough to ever see the Holy Enweili Empire rise.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 14, 2011, 09:34:26 PM »
Until the Lurians and the Enweili make their proper multi-realm empires, at least. Mind you, I don't think BT will survive long enough to ever see the Holy Enweili Empire rise.

True, dat :)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 14, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »

Yes, but Dwilight just might last long enough for the Lurians to pull it off. Unfortunately, the only one who has tried is hated by most of her realm, and everyone else is too power hungry to let a multi-realm empire be established.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 14, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »
I *think* this was possible when armies were first created. But it might have been a bug then too. :)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: December 14, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »
Those with a state religion on a Crusade or similar holy war.  In the early Crusades at least, they tended to accept a foreign national as the head of the Crusader forces.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #8: December 15, 2011, 01:21:19 AM »
I've actually been half kicking around a feature request on this idea...allowing a knight to join an army, and having armies align to a particular "banner", then having war diplomacy built around "banners" rather than the diplomacy chart.

and yes, I know how much work that would be  :D

but think of how many options people have asked for - and some are even seriously being considered, such as Duchy Armies and Duchy warfare - if this type of coding were put into place. think it is worth discussing a little more

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 15, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »
I am still completely against any form of intra-realm armed conflict. Or duchy-based diplomacy. If you want to fight the other duchies, or run your own diplomacy, then just secede and create your own realm.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 15, 2011, 04:28:04 AM »
I am still completely against any form of intra-realm armed conflict. Or duchy-based diplomacy. If you want to fight the other duchies, or run your own diplomacy, then just secede and create your own realm.

As much as I would love having intra-realm conflict and duchy-based diplomacy (I do think they'd be fun)...

I think they would ultimately get very, very confusing, be burdensome on players, and detract more from the game than they would add. Intra-realm armies would be interesting but, even in the historical crusades, it wasn't ONE army under ONE man. Most of the crusades were several separate armies under a conglomeration of leaders from different countries.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 15, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »

That's not what the thread is about, though. It's not about duchies fighting each other within the same realm, it's about realms fighting as one (people of many realms being put in the same army with the same marshal).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 15, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
Yeas, that is what the thread is about overall. But the suggestion of duchy armies, duchy diplomacy, and duchy-v-duchy warfare was brought up. That is what I was replying to.