Author Topic: Secularism?  (Read 24604 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Secularism?
« Reply #45: December 22, 2011, 07:09:53 AM »
Convert... to tMP?

That seems..... improbable.

Oddly enough, I'm not certain that it's impossible (that tMP could be twisted in a fashion to allow that).  If you suggested it now Koli would laugh.  But there's a wide pragmatic streak in the religion, and I think an alliance with the lesser evil is possible.

Or he is also the King.

Or, what, he's wandering around the Lurias and Fissoa right now, right? Southeastern Dwilight has no local dominant faith akin to SA, VE, or Triunism. I expect Koli may find success in Barca too, but probably not in Terran or D'Hara.

He was also invited to Fissoa by one of the converts, who has been helping prepare the way, and this trip has been under discussion for months.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: December 22, 2011, 08:29:35 PM »
Yeah, everyone knows they are already Astroists. :P

I didn't bother to look when I was there. In know that Triunism and Astroism both have strong presences in Zuma lands; not sure who's dominant right now.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #47: December 22, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »
In know that Triunism and Astroism both have strong presences in Zuma lands; not sure who's dominant right now.

Triunism. Then Verdis Elementum. Sanguis Astroism is a distant third.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: December 23, 2011, 12:22:53 AM »
Any and all faiths are welcome to Asylon its our grand experiment.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: December 23, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »
Any and all faiths are welcome to Asylon its our grand experiment.

There is a difference between allowing religious freedom and Secularism though.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: December 23, 2011, 02:47:31 AM »
I do not understand how Asylon doesnt fit the definition of secular/ism ... Explain?

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: December 23, 2011, 03:51:54 AM »
Pluralism/diversity is not the same as secularism.

Do you have atheists? Does your government have "separation of church and state"? Last I checked your government actively promoted several religions, and ya'll brag about your religious diversity quite a bit.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: December 23, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
Bah now your grasping for straws.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: December 24, 2011, 02:16:51 AM »

No he isn't, he just read the definition

Secularism is the principle of separation between government institutions and the persons mandated to represent the State from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. In one sense, secularism may assert the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, and the right to freedom from governmental imposition of religion upon the people within a state that is neutral on matters of belief. (See also Separation of church and state and Laïcité.) In another sense, it refers to the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be unbiased by religious influence.[1] (See also public reason.) Some scholars are now arguing that the very idea of secularism will change.[2]

You can easily have a country, with a state religion, that also allows minority religions to exist. Such a country would do things like, have a standard prayer for the sitting of parliament, require mandatory lessons on the state religion in government schools. Perhaps the Clergy of the state religion would form the bulk of the public service or have special ministry roles. So long as the other religions are protected from persecution by law, its still religious freedom.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: December 24, 2011, 02:53:23 AM »

Lol, he's grasping at straws by stating the simple, and quite clear, difference between secularism in government and just having some religious diversity?

You can easily have a country, with a state religion, that also allows minority religions to exist. Such a country would do things like, have a standard prayer for the sitting of parliament, require mandatory lessons on the state religion in government schools. Perhaps the Clergy of the state religion would form the bulk of the public service or have special ministry roles. So long as the other religions are protected from persecution by law, its still religious freedom.

Indeed, this especially even applies to Medieval kingdoms. Look at Spain, a Christian Kingdom that had plenty of Muslims and Jews living in it for a long time, and even had special laws surrounding them/their behavior, etc. (I believe).
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: December 24, 2011, 03:01:34 AM »
Indeed, this especially even applies to Medieval kingdoms. Look at Spain, a Christian Kingdom that had plenty of Muslims and Jews living in it for a long time, and even had special laws surrounding them/their behavior, etc. (I believe).

And which eventually booted most of them out in a remarkably good historical example of what religious repression looks like.

I would have said Moorish Spain for an example, or maybe Sicily, or the treatment of Catholics in the Byzantine Empire.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: December 24, 2011, 03:16:10 AM »
Asylon has  no state endorsed religion, it has 3 religions and truinism within its borders. How is that not secular? The Kingdom does not place one above the other, its sounds like how it is in the states or even Canada to me, both secular states. Its even written in our laws that no religion is above another etc, I even recently tried to hold a religious census and was kindly told to go fly a kite. Sounds secular to me.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: December 24, 2011, 03:21:36 AM »
Asylon has  no state endorsed religion, it has 3 religions and truinism within its borders. How is that not secular? The Kingdom does not place one above the other, its sounds like how it is in the states or even Canada to me, both secular states. Its even written in our laws that no religion is above another etc, I even recently tried to hold a religious census and was kindly told to go fly a kite. Sounds secular to me.

Which if you recall was the initial complaint. Secularism doesn't really fit well in a SMA environment.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: December 24, 2011, 03:25:39 AM »
Yeah, well in order to survive we needed to become what we are now. If we played by true SMA we'd be dead long ago. We adapted and used our culture and environment to make our kingdom survive. Our kingdom is made of Thulsomans, Caerwynians and natural born Asylonians. There are very few kingdoms in Dwilight with such a mishmash of peoples and cultures from completely different places. Plus, Asylon was a small poor and isolated kingdom for much of its existence, we had to be more tolerant to keep our nobles and keep cohesion. So basically take the rigid-SMA and toss it out the window, this is Dwilight...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: December 24, 2011, 03:28:03 AM »
Yeah, well in order to survive we needed to become what we are now. If we played by true SMA we'd be dead long ago. We adapted and used our culture and environment to make our kingdom survive. Our kingdom is made of Thulsomans, Caerwynians and natural born Asylonians. There are very few kingdoms in Dwilight with such a mishmash of peoples and cultures from completely different places. Plus, Asylon was a small poor and isolated kingdom for much of its existence, we had to be more tolerant to keep our nobles and keep cohesion. So basically take the rigid-SMA and toss it out the window, this is Dwilight...

Since the whole CONCEPT of SMA was create for and exist only for Dwilight, it would be rather hard to throw it out the window for the only continent it has relevance to. SMA is not something we borrowed from another source.

Secular though did exist in the medieval age, though the word was created later. I'm not sure it was ever embraced in a meaningful way in Western Europe during the age though.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:32:12 AM by De-Legro »