Author Topic: SMA...but with Standards!  (Read 11006 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

SMA...but with Standards!
« Topic Start: December 19, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
Let's talk SMA, and what are the aspects. But this time...If you are going to post anything of substance regarding what is SMA or what is not, tell us your credentials too.

Why?

Well, it's a bit like anything else. We can claim we know all about something like stem cell research, but unless we've got some sort of advanced degree in some sort of medical research field, any claims are naturally suspect. Likewise you wouldn't want someone without a Ph.D in chemistry or at least an MPH telling you that the new chemical plant some company built in your backyard is safe. Or at least you'd be less likely to trust their word.

Same here. Yeah, you got freedom of opinion. How much it's worth depends on a little piece of paper with some initials on it. Yeah, pretty weird, but hey, we do it all the time. I mean, if you had appendicitis and needed surgery, would YOU want someone without an MD performing surgery on you? Would YOU want to go to school to learn and be graded in a course by someone who doesn't even hold a degree in said field?

So I'll just put it out right now that I have no qualifications in terms of Medieval history, culture, whatever related to that time period. I'm not even qualified in history or anthropology. But this isn't about me. It's about YOU. Let's see if we have anyone among us who actually went to school to study Medieval Europe, or has done research, maybe even written scholarly articles on various topics.

egamma

Re: SMA...but with Standards!
« Reply #1: December 19, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
Probably Longmange over in the Background thread.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #2: December 19, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »
I have written scholarly articles on Shakespeare. I have noted that much of the simulated culture on Dwilight and in BM in general is derived from Shakespeare -- or at least from Elizabethan England.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 19, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »
I have written scholarly articles on Shakespeare. I have noted that much of the simulated culture on Dwilight and in BM in general is derived from Shakespeare -- or at least from Elizabethan England.

This can hardly be seen as surprising, given that this is by far the most exposure most people have to anything close to medieval European culture.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #4: December 19, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
This can hardly be seen as surprising, given that this is by far the most exposure most people have to anything close to medieval European culture.

I'm not as sure about that as you are. What about Tolkien?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 19, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »

I hate to break it to you, but Tolkien's work is, by and large, fantasy, not historical.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 19, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »

... I can't tell if you're being serious, or just joking.

So, I guess that's kind of like British humour. Therefore, I must laugh.  ;D ;D
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 19, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »

There are two main differences:

-Tolkien is high fantasy at its highest. BM actually tries to be low fantasy, despite some magical elements (e.g. daimons).

-The characters in BM are noblemen, which also happens to be the characters in most of Shakespeare's plays. Conan is also low fantasy, but a noble character based on Conan would be out of place in BM (as an adventurer, maybe). Macbeth, however, is perfect.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 19, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure he meant that Indirik claiming exposure to (pseudo-)medieval settings mainly comes from Shakespeare is wrong. I concur; popular fiction has probably shaped most of our minds way more than William did. Then again, BM might be attracting a fanbase of WS-junkies?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 19, 2011, 07:13:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure he meant that Indirik claiming exposure to (pseudo-)medieval settings mainly comes from Shakespeare is wrong. I concur; popular fiction has probably shaped most of our minds way more than William did. Then again, BM might be attracting a fanbase of WS-junkies?

It was me, not Indirik.

And I meant that our exposure to actual Renaissance culture comes from there—which I think is likely closer to actual Medieval culture than many (if not most) modern fictional portrayals of Medieval culture.
Timothy Collett

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #10: December 19, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
I hate to break it to you, but Tolkien's work is, by and large, fantasy, not historical.

I'm tired of your condescending bull!@#$. You think I don't know Tolkien is fantasy?

YES, this is what I meant. Thank you for understanding me, Shizzle, and not being a condescending jerk.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 19, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
It was me, not Indirik.

And I meant that our exposure to actual Renaissance culture comes from there—which I think is likely closer to actual Medieval culture than many (if not most) modern fictional portrayals of Medieval culture.
Having read or seen Shakespeare by itself doesn't really give much understanding of Renaissance culture . . . which is part of why you see so much bad Shakespeare performed.

And it really depends which fictional portrayal, I think.  And regardless of what is closer, I think there are probably people who are influenced by either . . . even though neither really gives the perfect picture.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 19, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
Having read or seen Shakespeare by itself doesn't really give much understanding of Renaissance culture . . . which is part of why you see so much bad Shakespeare performed.

Reading the plays themselves gives you some idea, but I think that most people study at least some about Shakespeare himself, and the time in which he lived, as part of learning about his plays.

And it really depends which fictional portrayal, I think.  And regardless of what is closer, I think there are probably people who are influenced by either . . . even though neither really gives the perfect picture.

That's certainly true.  There's going to be a wide variation in accuracy and usefulness between different portrayals :)
Timothy Collett

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 19, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »
There are plenty of characters that appear to model their interpretation of SMA on the Three Musketeers, and plenty that bring some of their favourite (insert fantasy series here). I study Christian History as part of my theology masters, so most of what I post is going to be based on the bits and pieces of medieval life that I pick up from that.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 19, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
-The characters in BM are noblemen, which also happens to be the characters in most of Shakespeare's plays. Conan is also low fantasy, but a noble character based on Conan would be out of place in BM (as an adventurer, maybe). Macbeth, however, is perfect.

Conan is practically the epitome of the adventurer class in BM.