Author Topic: SMA...but with Standards!  (Read 11015 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: SMA...but with Standards!
« Reply #15: December 20, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »
I base bm off of Shardik by Richard Adams of watership down fame. Read it
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #16: December 20, 2011, 12:59:27 AM »
Personally, I highly doubt most people who play this also study Shakespeare in any significant way, and if they have, that's probably not what they base their characters on. *comment removed at the request of Tom*
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:32:30 AM by Gustav Kuriga »

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 20, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »
There are two main differences:

-Tolkien is high fantasy at its highest. BM actually tries to be low fantasy, despite some magical elements (e.g. daimons).

-The characters in BM are noblemen, which also happens to be the characters in most of Shakespeare's plays. Conan is also low fantasy, but a noble character based on Conan would be out of place in BM (as an adventurer, maybe). Macbeth, however, is perfect.

King Lear, Henry VI, and Richard III are all perfect examples as well from Shakespeare, in terms of SMA. Personally, I would suggest A Man for All Seasons, by Robert Bolt in 1960; based around Henry VIII's time. Fantastic play and present inspiration for my characters .
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 20, 2011, 01:22:57 AM »
Personally, I highly doubt most people who play this also study Shakespeare in any significant way, and if they have, that's probably not what they base their characters on. And I, too, am tired of Anaris being a condescending jerk.

You just haven't learnt to see his charms :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #19: December 20, 2011, 01:55:57 AM »
Personally, I highly doubt most people who play this also study Shakespeare in any significant way, and if they have, that's probably not what they base their characters on. And I, too, am tired of Anaris being a condescending jerk.

It would be nice if you could phrase that differently. Whatever your personal opinion of him, I'm happy to have him, aside from myself nobody is doing as much coding as he does.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 20, 2011, 02:23:40 AM »
I have no formal credentials of any kind on any subject. Am working on my undergraduate degree in economics, so not medieval history. I just read a lot.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #21: December 20, 2011, 02:31:58 AM »
I appreciate his coding, and am thankful that he is part of the dev team. That doesn't mean he has to have such a condescending attitude when answering a response on the forums. I removed the comment relating to him, by the way.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 20, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »
That doesn't mean he has to have such a condescending attitude when answering a response on the forums.

It was intended to be humorous.  Indeed, Vaylon seems to have an uncanny ability to read condescension into my posts where none exists. I generally try to simply ignore this.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: December 20, 2011, 03:26:54 AM »
It was intended to be humorous.  Indeed, Vaylon seems to have an uncanny ability to read condescension into my posts where none exists. I generally try to simply ignore this.

A problem with all forms of communication, but especially prevalent with with written English. Once you have a preconception about the behaviour of the other party, it is very easy to see evidence of it in nearly everything that is written
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #24: December 20, 2011, 04:06:24 AM »
A problem with all forms of communication, but especially prevalent with with written English. Once you have a preconception about the behaviour of the other party, it is very easy to see evidence of it in nearly everything that is written

That's what a racist would say!

(I kid, I kid...leaving now)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: December 20, 2011, 11:17:42 PM »

Indeed.

I would also say that though it is more easy to misinterpret written messages, preconceived notions can have a significant effect on your perceptions of people in almost all social situations.

A good rule that I try to follow, online and in real life, is to always assume that the people interacting with me are not purposefully trying to be !@#$%^&s. This way people don't feel like they're stepping on eggshells when having a conversation with me out of fear that I may misinterpret something they said. Because let's face, trying to have a "politically correct" conversation all the time is !@#$ing boring.

Was Anaris being short? Yeah probably, but that doesn't mean he was purposefully being "condescending". I can't say that Anaris' no nonsense response to some questions haven't irked me on occasion, but if you assume that fundamentally he's a nice guy, his personality (or at least the online aspect of it) actually seems quite colorful, and in most cases very appropriate.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: December 21, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »
Was Anaris being short? Yeah probably, but that doesn't mean he was purposefully being "condescending". I can't say that Anaris' no nonsense response to some questions haven't irked me on occasion, but if you assume that fundamentally he's a nice guy, his personality (or at least the online aspect of it) actually seems quite colorful, and in most cases very appropriate.

He's generally a very nice guy, and you also have to remember that he answers (and has answered for years) lots of questions, and has seen many many many discussions about the game both here and on the d-list.  Lord of the Rings and Battlemaster has come up a lot, and been shot down many a time (although personally, I think with the way the Invasions have been developed, it's a lot more reasonable comparison these days.  Picture BT as Gondor/Mordor, Dwilight as Rohan, and everywhere else as the Shire...)
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: December 21, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
Picture BT as Gondor/Mordor, Dwilight as Rohan, and everywhere else as the Shire...)

I always picture Terran (the 'Moot) as Gondor.

Asylon as Rohan.

And the rest of the oblivious dwilight continent unawares of what it is like living day in and day out in the shadow of Dragon's Roost (Mt. Doom).  :P
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: December 21, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »
I always picture Terran (the 'Moot) as Gondor.

Asylon as Rohan.

And the rest of the oblivious dwilight continent unawares of what it is like living day in and day out in the shadow of Dragon's Roost (Mt. Doom).  :P

That makes the eastern island Numenor... and Madina the Umbar pirates. As appropriate.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

egamma

« Reply #29: December 21, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
That makes the eastern island Numenor... and Madina the Umbar pirates. As appropriate.

And the D'Harans are hobbits. that makes sense, 6 meals a day explains all the starvation.