Author Topic: Dwilight losing its saltiness?  (Read 37585 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Dwilight losing its saltiness?
« Topic Start: December 23, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Now that much more of Dwilight has been conquered, I feel it has lost a lot of potential. There are now only two potential new colony sites, and neither are that viable (for different reasons). No more the vast expanses of land to be conquered, nor the dreams of new realms in the wilds.

Add to this the fact that it is overrun with adventurers (fewer spawns), and could almost be any other map. Sure, you got your SMA (so what?) and the occasional Zuma invasion, but eh...  :-\

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight losing its saltiness?
« Reply #1: December 23, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
Now that much more of Dwilight has been conquered, I feel it has lost a lot of potential. There are now only two potential new colony sites, and neither are that viable (for different reasons). No more the vast expanses of land to be conquered, nor the dreams of new realms in the wilds.

Add to this the fact that it is overrun with adventurers (fewer spawns), and could almost be any other map. Sure, you got your SMA (so what?) and the occasional Zuma invasion, but eh...  :-\

Maybe the island will finally start to see some players vs. players action. Not that I'd hold my breath for it since much of the north is just a huge monolithic alliance formed around their faith. Boring times ahead in those parts unless things somehow shake up(well, boring already in Morek at least).

Honestly, where ever I have been on Dwilight it has been a boring battle of attrition against rogues with no personality and no reasons. That's not what BM is or should be about. It should be about playing with and against other players. I've never understood what's so great about a vast expanse of empty lands. Sure, growing and founding a realm is fun, but that really can't go on forever. The islands grows up some time. Hopefully the players vs. players aspect will pick up.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 23, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »
PvP has been ongoing politically for a long time, and the frontier-mentality has created large blocs (Lurias, Astroism, Moot). As the frontier vanishes, that unity will break apart. If the struggles in the Moot with Madina/Aurvandil are any implication, it could really start happening soon.

It would already be happening, but the Zuma crisis has kind of put everything on hold.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 24, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »
Oh ye of little faith, its just getting good. There is plenty of surprises ahead.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 24, 2011, 02:27:23 AM »

I don't think that's true at all.  I know of serious efforts to colonize all remaining territory on the continent.  And the Zuma change things a great deal, so even if all those are successful I think you'll still see a very different continent.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 24, 2011, 03:11:23 AM »
It's fun though. My character has battled the harsh frontier his entire adult life; almost 25 years now. He's suddenly found himself upon the precipice of a changing landscape. The frontier is closing. His realm has "filled out" much of its logically envisioned space. The monsters are still coming, but are fewer and they certainly are not the cause for alarm they once were.

It's like the closing of the American Frontier, last of the Old West. A transition period over the next calendar year or so will likely see the end of an era, but the birth of a new one.

Dwilight has been awesome so far. To me it's culture, atmosphere and experience are unrivaled in Battlemaster. And I'm excited for what the continent has in store in the future.   
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 24, 2011, 03:13:42 AM »
Indeed.

Especially given that we have a continent spanning religion that, from the outside, shows no signs of collapsing, but is still growing.

I know that, for example, my next character, though still in Terran, will be an Astroist. I doubt I'm the only person who wants to play an Astroist character at least partially for the novelty.

Dwilight has tons of potential left in it for entirely new styles of play; just because the frontiersman style is drawing to a close doesn't mean Dwilight will get boring.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 24, 2011, 03:22:19 AM »
I highly doubt Astroism will be rule in perpetuity. It will like all empires rise, dominate and then reach a point of stagnation or outright revolt or fall to the barbarian hordes.

People seem to think that the settling of the westlands is the endgame, its not. This is where things become interesting, where cultures begin to influence, where the dance of politics and intrigue is a tangled web of deception and skullduggery, this is where it begins.

Glaumring is also getting quite old, he is 50 and a hero, I will play him until he dies of either natural or battle causes.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 24, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »
I highly doubt Astroism will be rule in perpetuity. It will like all empires rise, dominate and then reach a point of stagnation or outright revolt or fall to the barbarian hordes.

People seem to think that the settling of the westlands is the endgame, its not. This is where things become interesting, where cultures begin to influence, where the dance of politics and intrigue is a tangled web of deception and skullduggery, this is where it begins.

Glaumring is also getting quite old, he is 50 and a hero, I will play him until he dies of either natural or battle causes.

People don't think it is the end game. People who were attracted to Dwilight because it wasn't full of realms however will now look at the continent and think hard if it offers them anything the other islands don't. For many the vast empty spaces was the allure of Dwilight, I mean how many nobles joined the continent just because they thought it would be easier to set up a colony here then anywhere else. As the wild spaces are slowly drying up, we may well lose those characters. Of course Dwilight will go on, it will just be different, both in how it plays and it the type of character it attracts.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 24, 2011, 04:42:45 AM »
People don't think it is the end game. People who were attracted to Dwilight because it wasn't full of realms however will now look at the continent and think hard if it offers them anything the other islands don't. For many the vast empty spaces was the allure of Dwilight, I mean how many nobles joined the continent just because they thought it would be easier to set up a colony here then anywhere else. As the wild spaces are slowly drying up, we may well lose those characters. Of course Dwilight will go on, it will just be different, both in how it plays and it the type of character it attracts.

More opportunities for Dukes to go A.W.O.L with entire cities when I look at the map. ;D

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 25, 2011, 01:23:41 AM »
Just wait until there is a decent size war between multiple realms on both sides. It'll be the new Atamara with such long travel times.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: December 25, 2011, 04:15:18 AM »
Doubtful. SA dominates the north. PeL/LN/whatever doesn't seem like the type with the guts to take on SA. Which is interesting because apparently Bedwyr is crazy enough to try taking on "abominations" that are potentially several times stronger than all of SA combined (Feel free to argue this, but...eh...just you know...Ah, forget it. Feel free to argue however you want.)

Well, they do say that the pen is mightier than the sword, so maybe what PeL/stuff fear isn't necessarily a bunch of daimons messing up their happy pile of happiness, but rather a bunch of SA dudes saying their happy pile of happiness is actually a sad pile of sadness.

Oh, and there are the Madina/Aurvandil guys who are more or less fated to be enemies for a long time, and that realm we all love to forget called GDoF (Kudos if you actually know what that stands for)

Then there's the midwest, which is...no clue. Asylon, Terran, and D'hara all seem to have some sort of SA presence, to some extent. They also probably don't want to tangle with the daimons anytime soon because unlike PeL/stuff they would be first on the chopping block if they did fight them, and most of the time, people don't like being shields for others who can sit comfortably far away.

And finally, there's no "CE power" that everyone else can hate. SA really isn't specific enough to target.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 25, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
Doubtful. SA dominates the north. PeL/LN/whatever doesn't seem like the type with the guts to take on SA. Which is interesting because apparently Bedwyr is crazy enough to try taking on "abominations" that are potentially several times stronger than all of SA combined (Feel free to argue this, but...eh...just you know...Ah, forget it. Feel free to argue however you want.)

It's quite crazy.  It's also a keystone in his religion.  And possibly may be the only way to save the world.  Or might destroy it, depending.  So, either crazy or genius, we'll have to see.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 06, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »

Late reply, but oh well..

I find this a very interesting post. My interpretation of it is this: "Dwilight was great, but only so long as no one played on it."

What good is all that potential if it is never used? The "vast expanses of land to be conquered" exist for the entire purpose of *being* conquered. But if someone actually goes out and conquers them, then the island is somehow diminished or ruined? I don't think the island has lost any potential at all. Rather, that potential has shifted from "potential for exploration and founding of new realms" to "potential for direct conflict and warfare". Yes, the island's flavor will change. But that doesn't ruin it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: January 06, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
Oh ho ho~ Indirik has actually said something good that I like for once.

And possibly what he said is more significant than we think at first.