Author Topic: Dwilight losing its saltiness?  (Read 37675 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight losing its saltiness?
« Reply #15: January 06, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »
Oh ho ho~ Indirik has actually said something good that I like for once.
So there are lots of good things that I say,  but you just don't like them? ;)

And possibly what he said is more significant than we think at first.
Hmm... I wasn't trying to be deep or mysterious. Just making an off-hand observation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: January 06, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
Well, it's on the list of reasons why Dwilight was a mistake - it brought in too many people who are used to expansionist games. BattleMaster isn't one.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #17: January 06, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

I'm not sure I would be be playing right now if not for dwilight. Besides, the main places I see expansionism are in areas besides dwilight. On Atamara we have CE using puppet realms. On the Colonies we have Lukon (is that it's name? I know it's the one that dominates the island). The only reason there is expansion in dwilight is because the new estates system allows realms to hold on to those rogue regions that they could not before.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 06, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »
Well, it's on the list of reasons why Dwilight was a mistake - it brought in too many people who are used to expansionist games. BattleMaster isn't one.

I think that is false on every front.

Battlemaster is definitely a game of conquest. Not absolute and total conquest, but definitely conquest. Maybe not for everyone, but thats an integral part of the game; indeed, its founding purpose was to run battles and provide a functional setting for SpellMaster, wasn't it?

And did you seriously just say "brought in too many people"? I thought we wanted more people?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #19: January 06, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »

And did you seriously just say "brought in too many people"? I thought we wanted more people?

You're deliberately misquoting Tom.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 06, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »

He admits it, too!

As a dedicated ... misquoter myself...

;)  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 06, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
I think that is false on every front.

Battlemaster is definitely a game of conquest. Not absolute and total conquest, but definitely conquest. Maybe not for everyone, but thats an integral part of the game; indeed, its founding purpose was to run battles and provide a functional setting for SpellMaster, wasn't it?

I think perhaps he meant people more focused on 'winning' Battlemaster, but I'm not sure. Either way I love Dwilight. I'm not nearly as active there as I was before Rowan died (back when I played one of the most powerful characters on the island), but I will never leave it. If either it or BT are ever sunk I will be very disappointed. For whatever reason, I find the 'traditional' islands to be far more stale and boring.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 06, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
BM is more than a game of conquest, its a game of diplomacy first.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 06, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »

Absolutely it is. But it's still a game of conquest; it's just not ONLY a game of conquest.

No I'm not. I don't think there is a type of player we can have too many of, except a multi-cheater, and I have a hard time understanding the statement as anything other than saying there are people who joined the game who we would rather not have joined the game at all. I'm now curious who. And I didn't misquote him. Yes, I know there was a dependent clause after that; but it's not relevant. I don't see how attracting people who want to be expansionist and conquer or settle new lands is a bad thing.

"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #24: January 06, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »

Ewwww. If I wanted diplomacy I would have more dinners with my extended family.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #25: January 06, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
Could it be...*gasp* that the point was for Dwilight NOT to be in the least bit settled much? You know...large map, one character per family (minus the adventurer thing. btw no one has fixed that 3 characters on one continent thing that I found last year for some odd reason)...the hint I'm scrying in my crystal ball and star chart combo is basically saying "Dude, this continent is gonna be really rogue...and that's in vogue." /me ducks a flying squirrel assault.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #26: January 07, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »
Could it be...*gasp* that the point was for Dwilight NOT to be in the least bit settled much? You know...large map, one character per family (minus the adventurer thing. btw no one has fixed that 3 characters on one continent thing that I found last year for some odd reason)...the hint I'm scrying in my crystal ball and star chart combo is basically saying "Dude, this continent is gonna be really rogue...and that's in vogue." /me ducks a flying squirrel assault.

Well, the reason why this "unsettled" atmosphere is going away has less to do with player attitudes and more to do with game mechanics. So your argument is void in this discussion.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 07, 2012, 04:19:29 AM »
Well, the reason why this "unsettled" atmosphere is going away has less to do with player attitudes and more to do with game mechanics. So your argument is void in this discussion.

I could always ask Tom to tweak the rogue spawn rates back to what they were. Seems we have gone from struggling to defend established realms to being able to relatively easily establish new realms where ever.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #28: January 07, 2012, 04:44:08 AM »
That would kill several realms lol.

Instead of providing the background for SM, BM became a totally new game in my opinion. SM is dead :(

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: January 07, 2012, 05:06:03 AM »
That would kill several realms lol.

Instead of providing the background for SM, BM became a totally new game in my opinion. SM is dead :(

I'm part of the group that wouldn't mind seeing some realms die on Dwilight.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.