Author Topic: Dwilight losing its saltiness?  (Read 37586 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight losing its saltiness?
« Reply #30: January 07, 2012, 05:16:26 AM »
Could it be...*gasp* that the point was for Dwilight NOT to be in the least bit settled much? You know...large map, one character per family (minus the adventurer thing. btw no one has fixed that 3 characters on one continent thing that I found last year for some odd reason)...the hint I'm scrying in my crystal ball and star chart combo is basically saying "Dude, this continent is gonna be really rogue...and that's in vogue." /me ducks a flying squirrel assault.

I had assumed that was the point from the beginning.

I just think it's kind of lame to have the agent of maintaining that disorder on an SMA continent to be arbitrary and ultimately quite uninteresting daimons who have no discernible plot despite, literally, years of living alongside them.

Dwilight becoming settled would be fine with me. Dwilight being returned to a state of comparative disorder and many realms being destroyed, even Terran, would be fine by me. Having the Zuma around in an active way or a passive way is fine by me.

I just find the Zuma as they are spectacularly boring. They operate on a plotline entirely separate from the rest of Dwilight, and don't even substantively interact with those plotlines. They seem profoundly Gygaxian in their operation (spontaneous massive hordes arrive with little warning or explanation, responding massively to events which seem minor to the rest of the continent and in all of previous BM precedent). They add nothing to the plot and create stagnation in interesting plots.

Honestly, I'm just bored with the Zuma by now. So they freak out and burn a region or two. Whatever. There's nothing we can do about it. So they want some items occasionally. Whatever. Not very interesting. Sure, destroy Terran if you feel like it; we can't really stop you if you really want to. Dealing with the Zuma is not rewarding as a player and not very interesting.

Especially when you message Haktoo and get the reply summoning you to Nightscree to talk, and, when you arrive, Haktoo still says practically nothing. It's just a frustrating waste of time.

And, in the meantime, it means that conflicts brewing between realms are put on hold. Terran hasn't had such conflict-free foreign policy in months. We're reaching out and making new friends all over the place, and internal conflict is a minimum as we're all in "Hunker down and survive" mode. And every time Hireshmont tries to go and stir something up, the Zuma have another tantrum, and he has to put everything on hold and play peacemaker again.

Whatever the objective of the Zuma is, right now they're accomplishing the result of pushing humanity around them to cooperate, colonize, avoid conflict, and keep politics to a minimum. If the goal of the Zuma is to create pacifist-master, they're close to achieving it in the lands around them.

I'm part of the group that wouldn't mind seeing some realms die on Dwilight.

I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing some realms die; and I honestly don't care which realms. I just would like them to die in some interesting, worthwhile conflict; like how Caerwyn died, maybe. Sudden death by arbitrary Zuma whim doesn't sound very interesting, nor the slow agony of monster spawns. Let human realms solidify, and we will tear each other apart.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 07, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »
I wouldn't be opposed to the monster spawn rates being turned back up. I wasn't pleased that they were ever turned down in the first place. Though, I don't know for sure if they were turned down or if Tom simply manually removed large numbers of existing groups in order to sort of reset things on a couple of occasions. Well, I know Tom did that, I'm just saying I don't know if the actual spawn rates were adjusted at the same time. Dwilight first engaged me because of the challenge of colonization; it was genuinely difficult to colonize in the face of the kind of monsters hordes we had to deal with. I'd actually be happier if the monsters were never adjusted and everyone still had to struggle mightily just to keep their colony efforts alive. There might conceivably still be a lot of wilderness around.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 07, 2012, 05:54:02 AM »
I agree with Vellos, the Zuma are not fun, they are interesting and I do like having them around etc but they are kind of faceless and without substance, just a huge horde that could wipe out every realm around them in 5 minutes, we already have to deal with massive monsters hordes in the west that the east havent seen in well... probably years. Then on top of that we have the Zuma bullying us around. Basically just join a realm in the east and you can beat any realm in the west in a few minutes because the western continent has no time for anything beyond constantly losing regions to the monsters or marching back to the capital to recruit.

I would like more room to breath and get down to realm on realm conflict or see the monster spawn tweaked or at least make the Zuma a bit more less ultra-super.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 07, 2012, 06:46:01 AM »
I think the Zuma are annoying because there is no clear purpose for them being there unlike on Beluaterra where the point of those groups in general is complete destruction.

I though BM is supposed to be player against player unless you are on Beluaterra. I haven't heard a concrete reason yet, why there is Dwilight has an exception also on a small part of the continent.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 07, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »
I wouldn't be opposed to the monster spawn rates being turned back up. I wasn't pleased that they were ever turned down in the first place. Though, I don't know for sure if they were turned down or if Tom simply manually removed large numbers of existing groups in order to sort of reset things on a couple of occasions. Well, I know Tom did that, I'm just saying I don't know if the actual spawn rates were adjusted at the same time. Dwilight first engaged me because of the challenge of colonization; it was genuinely difficult to colonize in the face of the kind of monsters hordes we had to deal with. I'd actually be happier if the monsters were never adjusted and everyone still had to struggle mightily just to keep their colony efforts alive. There might conceivably still be a lot of wilderness around.

I also wouldn't be fundamentally opposed to turning back up spawn rates; but I would prefer to leave them as they are and let Dwilight develop into a place where PvP conflict can really occur on a large scale. Having it constantly be a non-PvP environment is frustrating. I like colonizing and settling, yes, but I'd like to actually fight someone at some point.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 07, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
I also wouldn't be fundamentally opposed to turning back up spawn rates; but I would prefer to leave them as they are and let Dwilight develop into a place where PvP conflict can really occur on a large scale. Having it constantly be a non-PvP environment is frustrating. I like colonizing and settling, yes, but I'd like to actually fight someone at some point.

So why not play in Atamara?

Isn't it exactly that 'frontier feeling' you get on Dwilight that makes it one of the only continents with a stable/increasing noble population?

I'd like to see rogue spawns take a surge as well. Even if we're not ready for it.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 07, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »

Isn't it exactly that 'frontier feeling' you get on Dwilight that makes it one of the only continents with a stable/increasing noble population?

I'd like to see rogue spawns take a surge as well. Even if we're not ready for it.
I think the reason we have so many nobles is because of the frontier feeling, yes. But for different reasons- mostly that opportunities more easily arise, and because it gives a chance to develop something out of that frontier. Speaking only from personal experience, SMA is also one of the reasons I stuck with it. But I certainly didn't come here for mindless attrition against npcs.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 07, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
I think the Zuma are annoying because there is no clear purpose for them being there unlike on Beluaterra where the point of those groups in general is complete destruction.

I though BM is supposed to be player against player unless you are on Beluaterra. I haven't heard a concrete reason yet, why there is Dwilight has an exception also on a small part of the continent.

They do have a purpose though, and I hear there are even some nobles getting close to really working it out. The problem has always been that the Zuma are meant to be completely alien. Their thought process is nothing even close to human, which does lead to all sorts of issues. Just remember even among human cultures things that seem like a minor transgression to one group is a major affront to honour in another.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zuma GM

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 07, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
I had assumed that was the point from the beginning.

I just think it's kind of lame to have the agent of maintaining that disorder on an SMA continent to be arbitrary and ultimately quite uninteresting daimons who have no discernible plot despite, literally, years of living alongside them.

How much have you tried interacting with them? The Zuma could say the same about Terran. Also, who has said that the Zuma are there to maintain disorder? (please do read this response as a whole and not take individual comments on their own as they do relate to other points later on as well)

Dwilight becoming settled would be fine with me. Dwilight being returned to a state of comparative disorder and many realms being destroyed, even Terran, would be fine by me. Having the Zuma around in an active way or a passive way is fine by me.

I just find the Zuma as they are spectacularly boring. They operate on a plotline entirely separate from the rest of Dwilight, and don't even substantively interact with those plotlines. They seem profoundly Gygaxian in their operation (spontaneous massive hordes arrive with little warning or explanation, responding massively to events which seem minor to the rest of the continent and in all of previous BM precedent). They add nothing to the plot and create stagnation in interesting plots.

There is always a reason why the Zuma have done what they have done - it is not spontaneous. As to how they respond to things, you do need to remember that they are not human, are not noble. Why should they be behaving as if they are?

Honestly, I'm just bored with the Zuma by now. So they freak out and burn a region or two. Whatever. There's nothing we can do about it. So they want some items occasionally. Whatever. Not very interesting. Sure, destroy Terran if you feel like it; we can't really stop you if you really want to. Dealing with the Zuma is not rewarding as a player and not very interesting.

Dealing with the Zuma is not going to be easy. Enough hints have been given over the years and some players certainly have understood and have gained through their interactions. Please do not make sweeping statements just because things have not gone how you wanted them to.

Especially when you message Haktoo and get the reply summoning you to Nightscree to talk, and, when you arrive, Haktoo still says practically nothing. It's just a frustrating waste of time.

You weren't summoned, you were told if you wanted to speak you would have to do so in person. Then, when you did get there, you'd clearly already decided it was a waste of your time, had a couple of messages then went into an OOC rant because you didn't like the responses, then left. Seriously, you never even tried to do anything. The whole torture thing was to attempt to get the characters to think about having to torture one of their own for no reason but to appease someone else. Moral conflict and all that. Instead, you did nothing until the day before the deadline when you then decided to complain and talk about meta gaming. If you'd tried interaction at the start, you might have actually got somewhere. Their does need to be some effort on the part of the players you know.

And, in the meantime, it means that conflicts brewing between realms are put on hold. Terran hasn't had such conflict-free foreign policy in months. We're reaching out and making new friends all over the place, and internal conflict is a minimum as we're all in "Hunker down and survive" mode. And every time Hireshmont tries to go and stir something up, the Zuma have another tantrum, and he has to put everything on hold and play peacemaker again.

Whatever the objective of the Zuma is, right now they're accomplishing the result of pushing humanity around them to cooperate, colonize, avoid conflict, and keep politics to a minimum. If the goal of the Zuma is to create pacifist-master, they're close to achieving it in the lands around them.

I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing some realms die; and I honestly don't care which realms. I just would like them to die in some interesting, worthwhile conflict; like how Caerwyn died, maybe. Sudden death by arbitrary Zuma whim doesn't sound very interesting, nor the slow agony of monster spawns. Let human realms solidify, and we will tear each other apart.

As I have said many times, everything the Zuma do is based upon interaction with characters. Nothing has been done on a 'whim'. Your attitude, and shouting it loudly to get everyone else to listen, gets people to make views on the Zuma based on speculation and inaccuracy.

Some players successfully understand them, as is demonstrated by some things that are currently going on (and no, I won't go into any of that as it is all IC things that people will become aware of if they find out about it in game). You clearly don't understand them, and because they haven't done things the way you want them to, have gone into a big negativity campaign.

It's not Beluaterra, I'm not there to just wipe out the players, but I am there. Some people get it, others, such as yourself, so far don't.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 07, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
How much have you tried interacting with them? The Zuma could say the same about Terran. Also, who has said that the Zuma are there to maintain disorder? (please do read this response as a whole and not take individual comments on their own as they do relate to other points later on as well)

There is always a reason why the Zuma have done what they have done - it is not spontaneous. As to how they respond to things, you do need to remember that they are not human, are not noble. Why should they be behaving as if they are?

Dealing with the Zuma is not going to be easy. Enough hints have been given over the years and some players certainly have understood and have gained through their interactions. Please do not make sweeping statements just because things have not gone how you wanted them to.

You weren't summoned, you were told if you wanted to speak you would have to do so in person. Then, when you did get there, you'd clearly already decided it was a waste of your time, had a couple of messages then went into an OOC rant because you didn't like the responses, then left. Seriously, you never even tried to do anything. The whole torture thing was to attempt to get the characters to think about having to torture one of their own for no reason but to appease someone else. Moral conflict and all that. Instead, you did nothing until the day before the deadline when you then decided to complain and talk about meta gaming. If you'd tried interaction at the start, you might have actually got somewhere. Their does need to be some effort on the part of the players you know.

As I have said many times, everything the Zuma do is based upon interaction with characters. Nothing has been done on a 'whim'. Your attitude, and shouting it loudly to get everyone else to listen, gets people to make views on the Zuma based on speculation and inaccuracy.

Some players successfully understand them, as is demonstrated by some things that are currently going on (and no, I won't go into any of that as it is all IC things that people will become aware of if they find out about it in game). You clearly don't understand them, and because they haven't done things the way you want them to, have gone into a big negativity campaign.

It's not Beluaterra, I'm not there to just wipe out the players, but I am there. Some people get it, others, such as yourself, so far don't.

Nonsense after all HIS character is the Zuma expert.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 07, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
I don't like the Zuma either. I didn't like them when I first heard about them and I still don't like them now. If I want to deal with Daimons, I'll go to Beluaterra. They add nothing to the Dwilight experience IMO. And the speech about "it's not going to be easy dealing with them" just puts me off more. I don't want to have to do a bunch of effort trying to understand something that's been - pardon the phrase - stuffed down my throat for no apparent reason. Again, if I want vague hints and spend my nights deciphering messages from Daimons, I'll go to Beluaterra.

To me, they're nothing but a giant sword of Damocles, precariously hanging over the heads of the Dwilight nobles, ready to fall on them the moment they slip up.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 07, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »
I don't like the Zuma either. I didn't like them when I first heard about them and I still don't like them now. If I want to deal with Daimons, I'll go to Beluaterra. They add nothing to the Dwilight experience IMO. And the speech about "it's not going to be easy dealing with them" just puts me off more. I don't want to have to do a bunch of effort trying to understand something that's been - pardon the phrase - stuffed down my throat for no apparent reason. Again, if I want vague hints and spend my nights deciphering messages from Daimons, I'll go to Beluaterra.

To me, they're nothing but a giant sword of Damocles, precariously hanging over the heads of the Dwilight nobles, ready to fall on them the moment they slip up.

The fact that they have been on Dwilight since its creation kind of hints that they are meant to be there, and are probably VERY important to the vision of Dwilight as Tom saw it. Having had some dealing with the Zuma I can say they aren't just sitting around waiting to smash any nobles silly enough to cross them. A little common sense is required here, Tom didn't go to the effort of adding them to the game for such a trivial purpose, nor has the GM spent his time over YEARS if all he needed to do was click the travel button on his massive units every now and then.

The Zuma can be vague, but they aren't necessarily so. There is no need to spend hours deciphering stuff, but like all things, some players will happen upon the right path quickly ( either due to inspiration, luck or a perhaps they just have a different mindset/outlook) while others will take longer. It does appear to me that those characters that HAVE the preconceived idea about the Zuma being some unstoppable force that exist to threaten the realms of Dwilight, seem to have greater difficultly getting to the core of the Zuma purpose.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #42: January 07, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
When did this turn into a post about the Zuma?

Anyway there is as much player attitude in this as mechanics, whoever said my argument was void.

You think you're really supposed to just keep expanding like some cancer until you stretch to your logical boundary? Yeah, mechanics, sure. In the short time I've been playing I've found a bunch of things about how this game works and how many things are really possible. I know as well as anyone else who doesn't have access to the code how stuff works in this game, and for some things, how they break.

But are you supposed to do it? For bugs and exploits, no. But what about the less clear stuff like logging in right before turn change, or playing two adventurers on the same continent trading and hunting together? Those are also mechanically permitted, and not actually things you should not do. And? Well, most people just don't do it.

In this case, there aren't as many monsters, and people also figured out that claiming regions makes them spawn less. This is the result of their own choices and actions. Now they are turning around and complaining of the consequences of their deeds like little kids (Mentally I don't doubt they are)

Make up your minds. Either you do your little empire fantasy and then deal with how that works, meaning less wilderness, more human political mindgames, a bunch of colonization ideas that involve stealing land from other humans. Or you can cut down on your little "take ovah da world!" scheme and try to keep your realm stable and your characters and their players satisfied. You don't HAVE to go out and civilize everything. But if you do, don't complain about it. That's just being childish.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 07, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »

Dwilight is big enough and the frontier mentality entrenched enough that PvP conflict would result in enough realms being destroyed regularly enough that wilderness would always remain somewhere.

My records of the last 30 days (which does not include the actual height of the fiasco) show that I've sent almost 10,000 words of letters to Garret and Haktoo. My correspondence has diminished during these 30 days from previously. If you're seriously saying I haven't tried interacting, then I'm going to go ahead and make the similarly ludicrous statement that you're not actually the Zuma GM. I've gone and sat in Nightscree/Nightmarch a half dozen times over the last 8 months for days on end, with almost nothing to come of it.

And Garret as much as said, both IC and OOC (though he's so "mysterious" he'll probably weasel out of it) that the Zuma are there to maintain disorder.

I'm getting really tired of that line. It's stupid. It's an SMA continent. Cool, not human, not noble, whatever. My character is human, and is noble. How you expect me to come up with any kind of plausible RP that involves interesting interaction between the characters while still being SMA is perplexing.

Dealing with the Zuma is not going to be easy.

Really? What a surprise.

Enough hints have been given over the years and some players certainly have understood and have gained through their interactions. Please do not make sweeping statements just because things have not gone how you wanted them to.

No, you don't get it. Things basically have gone as I wanted them to. From my perspective OOCly and Hireshmont's perspective ICly, things are going swimmingly. There has not yet been a point where the Zuma meaningfully interfered with my plans. Rather, they're just annoying. They create peace and stability, which is exactly what Hireshmont wants. But what I as a player want is some kind of conflict, when all the Zuma do is create the perfect conditions for kum-bay-ya diplomacy.

You weren't summoned, you were told if you wanted to speak you would have to do so in person. Then, when you did get there, you'd clearly already decided it was a waste of your time, had a couple of messages then went into an OOC rant because you didn't like the responses, then left.

I no longer have the messages I sent prior to my OOC "Rant," but I don't remember it as a "couple." I remember sitting in Nightmarch and Nightscree for over a week, sending messages and RPs every single day, and getting no response. And I left after Haktoo stopped responding.

Seriously, you never even tried to do anything. The whole torture thing was to attempt to get the characters to think about having to torture one of their own for no reason but to appease someone else. Moral conflict and all that.

So you admit that you as a GM just had some pre-defined and basically arbitrary thing that you wanted us to do for reasons our characters could not hope to understand? "Why does Haktoo want us to torture one of our own?" "Don't you know, Hireshmont? Haktoo thrives on moral dilemmas!" Once again a case where Haktoo has a shocking understanding that characters have players behind them.

And that's the problem. You as a GM seem to have just come up with what you want to happen without reference to what is already happening, and without reference to the RPs of most characters. Maybe that's only a semblance that isn't the case. Which doesn't make me particularly angry, it's just uninteresting, and not worth interacting with. You say we should interact: cool. I've tried. It was boring. Maybe if my trying wasn't enough you should write up a manual, because I'm honestly not sure what more I could have done.

If you'd tried interaction at the start, you might have actually got somewhere. Their does need to be some effort on the part of the players you know.

Again, I'm curious about your apparent selective perception. I have repeatedly interacted with Haktoo. I'm perplexed what constitutes "interaction" if multiple visits, diplomatic agreements, and thousands of words of letters isn't interaction. Is there an "Interact with the GM" button I'm missing somewhere?

Yeah; Haktoo got one forgery that everyone knew was a forgery, and so went to war with two realms without even telling them why. That is indeed based upon interaction with characters. You're right. It is. It is also a wee bit asymmetric, and has a chilling effect. If I wanted to scheme against the Zuma, frankly, I wouldn't. Too much chance of a message being forwarded. Or I would do it on IRC or something. I don't sent private messages anymore to almost any characters; I always make sure to have multiple recipients, at least one or two of which who I am pretty sure would vouch for me. I do this because of interactions I've had with characters; namely, discovering that there is a character known to command an army somewhere in the range of 5-10 times the size of Terran's who will attack a realm, any realm apparently in Iashalur's case, based, literally, on obviously forged hearsay or one idle comment.

No, this isn't a big negativity campaign. This is pretty mild by my standards. I'm happy for the people who are successfully understanding whatever it is the Zuma are doing. Neat for them. I hope they have fun playing ZumaBM.

I'd rather you did wipe out players, personally. That would at least be interesting.

The fact that they have been on Dwilight since its creation kind of hints that they are meant to be there, and are probably VERY important to the vision of Dwilight as Tom saw it.

And Tom's vision of Dwilight now is that it was a mistake. Which means maybe I'm disagreeing with Tom's vision of Dwilight; I think maybe it's become something very much different and probably quite a bit better than he imagined.

Having had some dealing with the Zuma I can say they aren't just sitting around waiting to smash any nobles silly enough to cross them. A little common sense is required here, Tom didn't go to the effort of adding them to the game for such a trivial purpose, nor has the GM spent his time over YEARS if all he needed to do was click the travel button on his massive units every now and then.

I agree with you entirely on every point, and have not said anything against any of that. My point is that I would rather they were just rampaging around killing everything instead of having the chilling effect they have now of basically making sure nothing happens. Want to know why Terran is cozying up with Kabrinskia? The Zuma. Want to know why the Moot has stopped arguing about Madina vs. Aurvandil? The Zuma. Want to know why we've decided to help out Asylon with settling their lands, instead of competing for lands we could take? The Zuma. They shut down conflict at every turn, then harp on the most uninteresting conflicts of all.

The Zuma can be vague, but they aren't necessarily so. There is no need to spend hours deciphering stuff, but like all things, some players will happen upon the right path quickly ( either due to inspiration, luck or a perhaps they just have a different mindset/outlook) while others will take longer. It does appear to me that those characters that HAVE the preconceived idea about the Zuma being some unstoppable force that exist to threaten the realms of Dwilight, seem to have greater difficultly getting to the core of the Zuma purpose.

I don't spend hours deciphering things. I take most interactions with the Zuma at face value. That's how I got to where I am.

Again, I don't think the Zuma are necessarily unstoppable. I think that from all appearances their combat mechanics appear identical to those of the daimons on Beluaterra, and that the armies necessary to contain them do not yet exist on Dwilight. I don't think they exist solely to threaten the realms of Dwilight. For all I know they might exist to encourage BM players to create an entire continent where daimons are normalized like Sirionite Elves on EC, making some kind of great ideological rift in humanity between those who are friendly with daimons on Dwilight or hate daimons on Beluaterra. Maybe.

But the point is that I don't much care about the Zuma's core purpose; I care that all of the behavior they have exhibited ultimately stifles the most enjoyable gameplay aspects for myself, most of the players in the realm of which my character is the ruler, and many other players of characters with whom my characters frequently interact. Yes, I am complaining. I am giving very negative feedback: Zuma GM-- maybe some people are interacting with you and having a great time. But for the several dozen nobles who could be out imperializing Aurvandil or Madina, or harassing Kabrinskia, or invading Luria, or founding a colony in Sallowtown, or who knows what.... they are now sitting around hoarding gold, never going far from home, always ready to respond to whatever next week's Zuma crisis could be. That has been the result of the Zuma's recent decisions in their "near abroad." Maybe the response has been very different elsewhere; could be, I don't know.

And.... I don't understand how Artemesia's post is relevant. He seems to be implying that the proper way to play on Dwilight is not colonize, not wage war, hunker down, and play a maintenance game. I will be very discouraged if that is actually the case. No, I will be discouraged if there is a "proper way to play on Dwilight."

Edit: Accidentally misattributed a quote through copy-pasting; fixed now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:44:41 PM by Vellos »

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: January 07, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »

That didn't work for the Third Invasion, it didn't work for the Fourth Invasion, and I don't particularly see it working here.  And by "working" I mean "making things more fun for more players than it makes less fun" because this is a game, and that's kinda the point.

It's stupid. It's an SMA continent. Cool, not human, not noble, whatever. My character is human, and is noble. How you expect me to come up with any kind of plausible RP that involves interesting interaction between the characters while still being SMA is perplexing.

SMA doesn't mean "pretend you are in Europe in the Middle Ages despite all evidence to the contrary" it means "pretend you are a person living in this world starting from that perspective rather than a guy playing a game".
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"