Author Topic: Population movement (that is.. the automatic stuff)  (Read 12173 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It's all very strange, ever since the BT invasion ended, I noticed lots of peasants left the region my character rules. Almost everyday.

"X people are leaving the region for the open lands nearby"

What I don't get is where they are going. Is it literally the region next door? Does anyone notice it happening on other islands?
firefox

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
This is a new population code yes. They are literally leaving for neighbouring unpopulated regions and is a way to repopulate regions quicker. If you look at Daily Region Reports of neighbouring regions you should see your peasants show up again :)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
but how does it work? (roughly)

city->town->rural?

town->city?

is it 1 way traffic (mostly?) or is it 2 way? eg... consider a insulated 2 region system... will they both have people coming and going at the same time because they both have room?

say you have a city with 10000/50000 and a town (or even rural) with 5000/6000, will they all leg it to the city even though the city can't feed itself and the town gives surplus? remarkably short sighted if that's the case... then again.. peasants being peasants...
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
They move from areas of high population to areas of low population. The idea is if your region is maxed in pop, or close to it, and the region next door is low, the total population between the two regions will grow faster if some of your peasants move next door. I don't think it takes into account food supply, though I haven't seen peasants move into a region that was already starving.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
They move from regions that have a high percentage of max population to a region with a low percentage of max pop. So you should never seen them going both A>B and B>A at the same time.

The type of regions involved is not relevant. (I think...) I have seen them go from rurals to mountains, and from townslands to cities.

This should really help repopulate a depleted region or group of regions.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I don't think it takes into account food supply, though I haven't seen peasants move into a region that was already starving.

If you see that, please report it as a bug.  They're only supposed to move into areas that look like they're able to support them.

(If the region starts starving after they arrive, that's another matter; peasants aren't necessarily all that smart, and certainly have no access to the information about food storage levels—but they can tell when a place is already starving.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
fair enough.

though i have to say in the case mentioned above, it doesn't help for the 5k town to lose pop to the 10k city as any increase is negligible to the rate of growth of the city, but any loss to the town (let alone rural) will be significant, especially if it goes on for a while. in those kind of cases, it might make sense for a region to stop losing pop to cities... after dropping below some sort of threshold. (highish)..

the region my character rules neighbours 4 regions.. so it's very difficult to tell where they are legging it off to. it's a town between 2 cities and 2 rurals. all of which have lower % pop, i think. (but the cities obviously have higher pop number) it's lost at least 2k pop in the last 2 months (or since whenever the code was implemented)
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Don't worry, there are thresholds.  If you have any specific concerns, record some solid stats about all the regions' stat reports that you have access to (preferably your neighbours and more) and put that on the bugtracker.  By the way, was this implemented recently?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

It looked like it started right around the time 4th Inv ended.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
*casts resurrection*

14th of January to be exact.

The only really worrying thing I've found is that people seem to emigrate into rogue regions. Anyone else noticed that?
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
*casts resurrection*

14th of January to be exact.

The only really worrying thing I've found is that people seem to emigrate into rogue regions. Anyone else noticed that?

No, and there are plenty of rogue regions around us. I guess if the region only recently went rogue, and still had reasonable stats they might immigrate.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
No, and there are plenty of rogue regions around us. I guess if the region only recently went rogue, and still had reasonable stats they might immigrate.

No one emigrates to rogue regions.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
No one emigrates to rogue regions.

Bologna.

Take a look at the spread of Triunism and population patterns in southwestern Dwilight. Peasants emigrate from Terran and D'Hara by the thousands, heading for unsettled lands. It's actually quite a neat RP climate, IMHO.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Bologna.

Take a look at the spread of Triunism and population patterns in southwestern Dwilight. Peasants emigrate from Terran and D'Hara by the thousands, heading for unsettled lands. It's actually quite a neat RP climate, IMHO.

This is unrelated to religion spread.  That happens not only by migration, but by communication.

If you can demonstrate to me that there is an instance of peasants leaving a region for the open lands nearby, and those open lands being rogue, I will find and fix the bug that allows it.

And yes, it would be better if all this migration stuff were handled together, and a proper model of the characteristics of the peasants who move developed, but there isn't one right now.
Timothy Collett

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
If you can demonstrate to me that there is an instance of peasants leaving a region for the open lands nearby, and those open lands being rogue, I will find and fix the bug that allows it.

Um... why fix it? It's neat, realistic, and contributes to the fun of the game.

I'm almost 100% sure that the regions around Terran have enjoyed migration from our regions. Thysan in particular comes to mind. Maeotis before D'Hara retook it was growing way too fast for it to be endogenous growth. When Asylon took Shoka, it already had over 1,000 peasants, despite being often attacked and pillaged by monsters.

And are you sure migration doesn't bring religion with it? Because there's no way Triunist temples are causing 99% conversion rates across 5-6 regions of low population full of monsters and undead. Plus, I noticed rogue rurals seem to grow quickly in population until they equal the population of their neighbors, then they slow down.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner