Author Topic: Population movement (that is.. the automatic stuff)  (Read 12304 times)

egamma

Um... why fix it? It's neat, realistic, and contributes to the fun of the game.

I'm almost 100% sure that the regions around Terran have enjoyed migration from our regions. Thysan in particular comes to mind. Maeotis before D'Hara retook it was growing way too fast for it to be endogenous growth. When Asylon took Shoka, it already had over 1,000 peasants, despite being often attacked and pillaged by monsters.

And are you sure migration doesn't bring religion with it? Because there's no way Triunist temples are causing 99% conversion rates across 5-6 regions of low population full of monsters and undead. Plus, I noticed rogue rurals seem to grow quickly in population until they equal the population of their neighbors, then they slow down.

What he means by "fix" is make is so that when peasants migrate, they take their own religion with them.

As for the rogue rurals, I think that they benefit from a military force that prevents the monsters from invading from quite as many directions.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
What he means by "fix" is make is so that when peasants migrate, they take their own religion with them.

As for the rogue rurals, I think that they benefit from a military force that prevents the monsters from invading from quite as many directions.

No, what I mean by "fix" is prevent peasants from moving into lawless regions, frequently plagued by monsters, undead, and brigands, with no infrastructure set up to ensure they are properly fed there.

No one with two brain cells to rub together would willingly go into a rogue region to try and live.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
And are you sure migration doesn't bring religion with it? Because there's no way Triunist temples are causing 99% conversion rates across 5-6 regions of low population full of monsters and undead.

I'm quite sure ;-)

I wrote that code myself, not long ago, and considered trying to model the characteristics of the peasants moving, but decided it was way too much work for the desired effect.

I want to properly model population movement, with all their opinions and attributes, but it'll have to wait until we've got things reorganized quite a bit.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I'm quite sure ;-)

I wrote that code myself, not long ago, and considered trying to model the characteristics of the peasants moving, but decided it was way too much work for the desired effect.

I want to properly model population movement, with all their opinions and attributes, but it'll have to wait until we've got things reorganized quite a bit.

So, what you're telling me is that a level 1 temple is causing 99% conversion rates 5 regions away.... conversion rates that only began after the migration code was implemented?

How on earth is the spread from a small temple that big?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
will this tie in with the new trade/region hierarchy stuff?

as in... farmers more likely to move to farms woodsman to woods, etc... (because the duke stuffed a good farmer elsewhere to run a bigger farm, etc)...

how much freedom of movement did they have back when? or for that matter... career changing ability
firefox

egamma

These are "age of empires" peasants, who are equally adept at building, fishing, mining, and farming.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So, what you're telling me is that a level 1 temple is causing 99% conversion rates 5 regions away.... conversion rates that only began after the migration code was implemented?

How on earth is the spread from a small temple that big?

I don't know offhand.

But I guarantee you, 100%, there is no mention of religion in the new migration code.  I just double-checked it, and I'm absolutely certain.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

I thought peasants did not have the right to move around in the Medieval age. But still this population movement does help less populated regions.

Gustav Kuriga

serfs did not have the right to move. peasants includes freemen and the like as well.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I thought peasants did not have the right to move around in the Medieval age. But still this population movement does help less populated regions.

Serfs had virtually no mobility between manors. They had some mobility in regards to cities; a serf who went urban could often escape serfdom. But that probably was not a "demographically significant" number.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
So does this mean we're going to start tracking disease movement among the peasants?  (Wouldn't an outbreak be a fun invasion?)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So does this mean we're going to start tracking disease movement among the peasants?  (Wouldn't an outbreak be a fun invasion?)

How about a zombie-disease outbreak? ;)
Timothy Collett

egamma

How about a zombie-disease outbreak? ;)

How's that different than undead? Just that the undead increase as the population decreases, at a 1:1 ratio?

songqu88@gmail.com

If we are to believe the lies of the invaders, that kind of already was the case...

Monsters were sometimes described as infecting humans, sort of like lycans. Ha, werethings.

Undead weren't zombies, but meh, there could be zombies, I guess?

Squirrels and badgers can spread rabies.

Filthy conditions like sewage on the streets can lead to all sorts of disease.

Bubonic plague! Cut the entire continent's population by two-thirds!

This sounds sort of like BT right now...

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
And are you sure migration doesn't bring religion with it? Because there's no way Triunist temples are causing 99% conversion rates across 5-6 regions of low population full of monsters and undead. Plus, I noticed rogue rurals seem to grow quickly in population until they equal the population of their neighbors, then they slow down.

Rogue regions bordering Astrum have had 99 or 98% conversion rates without any temples, shrines or even priests preaching. The good word builds up a momentum of its own after a while...