Author Topic: Yeomen  (Read 5903 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yeomen
« Topic Start: December 24, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
After studying a bit of medieval history I came up with an idea for a new rank for adventurers, the Yeomen.

After becoming a Freemen an adventurer can turn in one recommendation to become a yeomen (afterwards they'd still need three more to become nobles). Being a Yeomen would ad the ability to own land, not great estates like a noble, but something like a small farm or inn. A Yeomen's land would account for 1-3% of a region's production. A lord or knight is free to sell or lease this parcel to a Yeomen for an agreed upon amount of gold. A Yeomen can have as many of these small estates as he or she can afford to buy in as many different regions as there are sellers.

The Yeomen gets two advantages from owning this property. First he/she can sleep there for free, in a rural or wilderness region it counts as a "primitive room". In a city it counts as a "private room". Second he/she profits from the region's production. This represents whatever productivity occurs on said land, be it rooms rented at an inn, goods made in a factory or food harvested. The exact amount might vary and various taxes by the knight, lord or ruler might apply.

Either way this gives the Adventurer more to do and creates new opportunities for in game economics and roleplay.

Also with the new economic system it's common for people to have 1 or 2% estates lieing around that aren't worth resizing estates to deal with.

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Yeomen
« Reply #1: December 25, 2011, 04:08:08 AM »
I thought the common saying thusfar has been something along the lines of: Screw adventurers we don't give a damn.

Well, the "official" stance might be a bit nicer, but for the most part, goodies are given priority to the nobles. Er...I can imagine a response by one of the dev team might take the following form: You want to own land and reap rewards from it? Play a noble.

It's also not that hard to get 3 recommendations and change to a noble. Often the cap isn't your recommendations but your H/P.

egamma

« Reply #2: December 25, 2011, 04:37:51 AM »
This strikes me as a "maybe, MAYBE, after the New Economy is put in place" type of thing.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 25, 2011, 04:56:47 AM »
The dev team has added new options for adventurers in the past. The equipment for example is an entirely new feature.

1% of an estate would hardly give them the same benefits as a noble.

1% of a region income is 7 gold a week in most cases. And if additional taxes are in play that can be cut down as much as seems reasonable. 7 gold a week hardly gives you the same resources as a noble. This by no means will mean you can start fielding a unit and fighting in battles. At the very least I don't think it's unreasonable to have the option to buy a cottage and be able to sleep for free in a given region.

Yeomen were a key part of Medieval society and their presence had a huge impact on how the nobility did business. This alteration wouldn't just give adventurers more to do, it would give nobles more to do. Suppose you're 30 gold short on your unit's upkeep, instead of having to beg your lord for more gold you can lease 1% of your land to an adventurer.

Of course this creates new role-play opportunities. The local knights might get a bit annoyed when they learn there's a commoner on their land earning as much gold as they do through several savy business actions. They could go out of their way to attack this man, or maybe even ask the judge to seize his lands. This would give realm judges more to do (I've always thought that position would suffer from too small a case load).

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: December 25, 2011, 01:09:39 PM »
Uh...it sounds like a crappy existence if you are able to be arrested anywhere, anytime. Even more so when you attract attention, as most of the time people only leave adventurers alone because they're doing a job for them, or they just aren't worth paying attention to.

The way this would go, the commoner would attract more negative attention. And the glacial rate of adventurer changes means that I wouldn't hold my breath. There have been a bunch of other suggestions about adventurers. But you know, you can really play your adventurer more creatively than you might think at first.

He can be an archaeologist searching for the lost unique items of the past like Indiana Jones, Medieval style with a Medieval style fedora (Which didn't exist but go ahead and roleplay that you are wearing a fedora. Some anachronisms that don't detract too much are fine. Besides, who said you couldn't be avant garde in BM?)

He can be a researcher of magic, traveling the world to seek the legendary wizards of old to gain their secrets written in their scrolls and one day become a magician himself. Not happening, but you could theoretically accumulate a bunch of scrolls and...do nothing with them because of the glacial rate at which scrolls become active.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 26, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
I like this, mainly because of the tie to the land it creates for the advy and the opportunities for RP. When I get to the three recommendations threshold, I tend to choose which realm to become a noble in randomly or for OOC reasons, since I have no real in-game ties to any realm beforehand. This would create some.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 26, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
eh.. equipment is a gold sink to nerf advies..
firefox

egamma

« Reply #7: December 26, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »
eh.. equipment is a gold sink to nerf advies..

it is a gold sink, but its useful.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: December 27, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »
it is a gold sink, but its useful.

Both of these are true. :-)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 27, 2011, 02:03:10 AM »
It would be nice to have more options to the common ones and interact them with the game as a whole.  I played several adventurers, and after getting 3 recommendations or selling high an item, you don't have much to do. The hunt of rogue become odd and boring, and I just deleted them after 2-3 months of play.

For me, this Yeomen can be something useful (but only if they do not get too much gold - they should get silver, instead). Something linked with religions can be useful, too, as both, the commons and the religious games need boosts. We could have several changes, as a warrior man-at-arms class, a thief, etc, but we just can't forget that BM is a game for nobles, and the peasants only do the low colors of the acts.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 27, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
It would be nice to have more options to the common ones and interact them with the game as a whole.  I played several adventurers, and after getting 3 recommendations or selling high an item, you don't have much to do. The hunt of rogue become odd and boring, and I just deleted them after 2-3 months of play.

For me, this Yeomen can be something useful (but only if they do not get too much gold - they should get silver, instead). Something linked with religions can be useful, too, as both, the commons and the religious games need boosts. We could have several changes, as a warrior man-at-arms class, a thief, etc, but we just can't forget that BM is a game for nobles, and the peasants only do the low colors of the acts.

True, although some of the things that nobles do in game were actually considered unfitting for a noble. Being a Merchant, at least initially was beneath them, it was very much the domain of the Yeomen. In their time real wealth wasn't in gold it was in land, Merchants were upsetting the status quo.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 27, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
Uh...it sounds like a crappy existence if you are able to be arrested anywhere, anytime. Even more so when you attract attention, as most of the time people only leave adventurers alone because they're doing a job for them, or they just aren't worth paying attention to.

Crappy in real life, great for roleplaying. Unlike a normal adventurer who can get away with being ignored a Yeoman will HAVE to be doing jobs for other nobles and be valuable to them unless he wants to suffer the wrath of some jealous knights.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 27, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
Another way to do this might be to make it so the Yeomen's land only profits from other adventurers. Maybe it can be made to sell items like tents and bandages.

egamma

« Reply #13: December 27, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »
Another way to do this might be to make it so the Yeomen's land only profits from other adventurers. Maybe it can be made to sell items like tents and bandages.

There have been "market stall" ideas before--not rejected, just not a high priority.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: December 27, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
Crappy in real life, great for roleplaying. Unlike a normal adventurer who can get away with being ignored a Yeoman will HAVE to be doing jobs for other nobles and be valuable to them unless he wants to suffer the wrath of some jealous knights.

Some dudes are just jerks and would like to mess up your poo poo for no reason because it's a game with no real consequences.