Author Topic: Monsters and undead chosing sides in battle?  (Read 5516 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Monsters and undead chosing sides in battle?
« Topic Start: December 24, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
I've thishapen.In a region where there hapens to be a unit of monsters or undead two realms do a battle.Sudenly I look at the battle report and notice the monster or undead unit joing one of the two armies and fighting alongside that army.
Is that supose to hapen or is it a bug?

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Re: Monsters and undead chosing sides in battle?
« Reply #1: December 24, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
Rogue monster and undead will always join the attackers.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 24, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
Well, that's not strictly true.

In a region where there has been no battle has taken place, if it is a rogue region, any rogues will be defenders. If it is not a rogue region, they will be the attackers.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 25, 2011, 01:00:20 AM »
Well, that's not strictly true.

In a region where there has been no battle has taken place, if it is a rogue region, any rogues will be defenders. If it is not a rogue region, they will be the attackers.

Forgot about the rogue region condition :)
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 25, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »
What happens if there is a battle between two realms, and in the first one there are rogue units joining the attackers, and the attackers win? Will the rogues join the victorious side and defend the next turn, or will the still join the attacking side?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 25, 2011, 03:42:08 AM »
What happens if there is a battle between two realms, and in the first one there are rogue units joining the attackers, and the attackers win? Will the rogues join the victorious side and defend the next turn, or will the still join the attacking side?

Rogues aren't special when it comes to combat (with one minor exception).

Just look at what the answer would be if instead of "rogues" you had "some realm at war with the other 2 realms in the region," and that'll be your answer.

(The minor exception, by the way, is when you have human rogues and nonhuman rogues in the same region, and no other troops. In that case, they will fight each other.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 28, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »
I believe that if two human armies enter a region that should both side to defeat the monsters before going on to fight eachother, I think its silly that the monsters aid one side or the other.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 28, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
I believe that if two human armies enter a region that should both side to defeat the monsters before going on to fight eachother, I think its silly that the monsters aid one side or the other.

This sometimes happens, sometimes it doesn't. Think of it this way if it helps. The two human armies form up opposing each other. The trumpets sounds, the battle is joined and then some damn monsters come out of nowhere and attack one of the armies. Its not a "co-ordinated" assistance, one army doesn't some how control the monsters, they just show up and do their thing.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 28, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
I may not want my army to intercede and help out my enemy, if they were fighting monsters. Depends on the situation. But I can see plenty of times where I wouldn't.

It's just a consequence of the way battles work. The behavior is predictable, so you should be able to plan for it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 28, 2011, 08:51:13 PM »
Think of it this way if it helps. The two human armies form up opposing each other. The trumpets sounds, the battle is joined and then some damn monsters come out of nowhere and attack one of the armies. Its not a "co-ordinated" assistance, one army doesn't some how control the monsters, they just show up and do their thing.

It would be easier to think of it this way if that behaviour was not, in fact, predictable, and sometimes used by marshals and generals.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 28, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »
It would be easier to think of it this way if that behaviour was not, in fact, predictable, and sometimes used by marshals and generals.

Then you can think about it in terms of one side herding the rogue unit towards the enemy.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 29, 2011, 04:20:18 AM »
Then you can think about it in terms of one side herding the rogue unit towards the enemy.

Yes, that works nicely!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 29, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »
Accuse a realm of siding with abominations=evil-Or even a character.

egamma

« Reply #13: December 29, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »

Or better yet--cowardly and dishonorable.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 30, 2011, 12:35:27 AM »

I've seen this done a few times.  The difficulty is that it then leaves you open to similar charges when, for instance, an undead horde spawns in the middle of your multi-turn battle and you have to either pull out or become a hypocrite.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"