Author Topic: On archer range  (Read 13891 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
On archer range
« Topic Start: March 11, 2011, 06:40:59 PM »
How, exactly, is it determined when a range 4 archer unit will fire? I was recently involved in a battle with other range 4 archers. Those units fired, but my unit "moved forward for better shots" My unit fired at range 2.

All units in the same line. Monsters 4 lines away. Battle occurred on a "quite windy day."
-=Mayen's Archers=- (2) fire on Monsters (1), scoring 38 hits.
McFinks (4) fire on Monsters (1), scoring 58 hits.
Fury of Ortedail (3) move closer to get better shots.
Vert Cloaks (7) fire on Monsters (1), scoring 125 hits.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: On archer range
« Reply #1: March 11, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »
Well, first you disembowel a chicken and spill its entrails on the ground in front of you. Then...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 11, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
Well, first you disembowel a chicken and spill its entrails on the ground in front of you. Then...

All out of chickens, are crow entrails as accurate?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #3: March 11, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Well, since it's quite windy, it's normal to assume that your range 4 archers were actually, as it states, "moving closer to get better shots". :)  That doesn't mean they cannot shoot at range 4 on a good day.  You can't expect all units to perform equally in every battle, right? ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: March 12, 2011, 01:03:08 AM »
And sometimes they seem to think they're awesome masters of the sword.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #5: March 12, 2011, 02:06:22 AM »
And sometimes they seem to think they're awesome masters of the sword.

Exactly, that's why the infantry has to keep the other line from reaching the archers, right? :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #6: March 12, 2011, 02:16:26 AM »
Depends on how strapped for gold you are.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 30, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »
... I got me a slightly different question.

let's assume you have 2 identical archery units with the only exception being range. let's say 3 and 4.

how does that affect their damage output? ignoring the fact that one can shoot further and thus one can shoot certain enemies that the other can't.

let's say they are both 2 squares away from an enemy. will the 4 range do more damage than the 3? (on average anyway)
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #8: March 30, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »
... I got me a slightly different question.

let's assume you have 2 identical archery units with the only exception being range. let's say 3 and 4.

how does that affect their damage output? ignoring the fact that one can shoot further and thus one can shoot certain enemies that the other can't.

let's say they are both 2 squares away from an enemy. will the 4 range do more damage than the 3? (on average anyway)

No, they will do the same damage.  Range is just that, the maximum distance at which they can engage enemies.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: March 30, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »
If range is the only difference, then sometimes R4 would get an extra round of shots due to the extra range. That depends on a great many other factors as well though, as I've sometimes had an R5 unit advance when they were deployed in the middle against a front deployed enemy.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 30, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »
I've noticed Archers getting more hits as the enemy gets closer though. Could just be the random accuracy factor, but if it is a significant trend it is likely R4 archers will do more damage at range 3 then R3 archers.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #11: March 31, 2011, 12:58:27 AM »
I've noticed Archers getting more hits as the enemy gets closer though. Could just be the random accuracy factor, but if it is a significant trend it is likely R4 archers will do more damage at range 3 then R3 archers.

Again, I reiterate.  Archer range is just that, range.  All things held equal, R3 and R4 archers will do the same damage to enemies equidistant from them.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: March 31, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »
Is there any wind direction factor which might influence which side's archer will get an advantage?

Like if the wind is blowing behind attackers, they might gain a range while defenders will suffer losing a range (a column)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: March 31, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
At this time, no battles observed have shown any preference for either side.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 04, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
On a related note, in a battle this recent turn my archer unit made a very stupid move. On the first turn, with a range of four and enemies only three lines away, my archers moved closer to "get better shots". My unit were the only archers that moved forward. So not only did they waste a turn, they were then sitting out alone in front of the archer group and was targeted by every enemy archer unit for two turns (814 hits received first turn after the move, 1037 on the second) until my unit resembled a mound of porcupine corpses. I ask you, why did they move forward? That's just about the stupidest move they could possibly have chosen. My line settings were the same as every one else's.