Author Topic: New Characters randomly offering oaths  (Read 7953 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: New Characters randomly offering oaths
« Reply #15: December 14, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
I hate it too, and it sucks to have to do. But what can you do? Sit around and let your regions all slowly drop in stats or have Lords sit in them and constantly hold court? Maybe possible during peace time, but if you're at war forget it. If you don't reassign Knights where needed, might as well hang your hat and go home.

Thankfully, however, the New Estate System largely fixes this problem (still waiting on Atamara and FEI!), just not the Take-Oaths-Seriously problem.

Actually yes, if a Lord cannot secure the faithful service of a knight, without the realm making noise about "estate coverage" I have no problem with the Lord losing the region due to poor stats, or the realm having to put in a massive effort to retain it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 14, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
...or the realm having to put in a massive effort to retain it.

They do. By hounding the Lord and any excess Knights to transfer to the region in need.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #17: December 15, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
I honestly don't see what the problem is. New players don't want to be sitting waiting for their Lord to go through all the proper procedures as if they were doing a Let's Play Bureaucracy. That's boring, and keeps them from doing the things they want to, like fighting battles or political intrigue.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 16, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »
They do. By hounding the Lord and any excess Knights to transfer to the region in need.

I always do my best to help with the initial match-up. Last thing I want is for a noble of the realm to be stuck without an oath/estate for too long. That's no good.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 28, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
I honestly don't see what the problem is. New players don't want to be sitting waiting for their Lord to go through all the proper procedures as if they were doing a Let's Play Bureaucracy. That's boring, and keeps them from doing the things they want to, like fighting battles or political intrigue.

The problem is: my character (only this one) would never accept an oath from someone that doesn't even introduce themselves. I think that it is very little to ask for a simple message to be sent. Even if they are "flying under the radar" until they "understand the game better".

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 28, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
Then start a conversation with them. Perfect opportunity to get to know the new guy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #21: December 29, 2011, 02:08:52 AM »
Yes, even if you just welcome him with an ooc message just to get him started in the game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 29, 2011, 06:41:05 AM »
not much point getting worked up about something that's essentially outdated. though plenty of scope for rp oaths with new estates.
firefox

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 01, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
Then start a conversation with them. Perfect opportunity to get to know the new guy.

Done. No result. Next?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 01, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
Kick him out? or wait for him to auto-pause?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.