Author Topic: How to: Never have to retype a letter again  (Read 6865 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
How to: Never have to retype a letter again
« Topic Start: March 12, 2011, 05:54:55 AM »
So, I installed this a good long while back, and it's never failed me yet.  I try to spread word around every time someone cries about losing that giant post, as I remember the pain.

Lazarus add-on stores forms (which includes all battlemaster messages) even if you crash out, turn starts running after you hit send, or anything else causes your letter to fail.  I've only used it for Firefox, but they've got Chrome and Safari versions as well.  Saved me so many times I lost count after only a month (I'm a forgetful kind of guy).

http://lazarus.interclue.com/download
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: How to: Never have to retype a letter again
« Reply #1: March 12, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »
After Matt told me about this, I've used it many, many times, especially since my internet connection's been a little unstable these past few weeks.  I use it for chrome, so I can say that it works *extremely* well.  Of course, if you have sensitive information typed into forms, you should consider not using this, but for the majority of the users out there, TRY IT!!! TRYIT Now. :D
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 12, 2011, 02:16:47 PM »
completely agree. It's a must have add on for every bm player that wants to be taken seriously!

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 12, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Before Lazarus, the puppies and kittens in my street feared me, because I would rush in and kick them every time BM timed out on me in the middle of a long message. Now, Lazarus saves my messages so I can bring them back up if needed. The puppies and kittens love me again. Thank you Lazarus!

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: March 12, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Before Lazarus, the puppies and kittens in my street feared me, because I would rush in and kick them every time BM timed out on me in the middle of a long message. Now, Lazarus saves my messages so I can bring them back up if needed. The puppies and kittens love me again. Thank you Lazarus!
This sounds like an advertisement.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 12, 2011, 06:53:01 PM »
Have to say that the vanilla Opera browser is supreme for this. Just hit back and you're good to go. Might not cover a browser crash, but the most common eventualities, sure.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: March 12, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
The problem for me was that internet would fail, and then when I hit back it would take me to the "confirm submission?" but I didn't finish the letter yet, so I click back again and it fails again and then back takes me back to message screen.  (It sometimes works, but not often).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 13, 2011, 03:17:34 AM »
Lazarus is definitely one of two "must have" browser addons. The other being adblock, of course.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Oszero

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 15, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
I know it's a bit of a long shot, but do you guys know of any similar thing for Opera?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 15, 2011, 05:50:11 PM »
I don't ever use Opera, so I can't help with that.

Oszero

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 15, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
Damn, ok. Thanks anyway Rob.

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 17, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Have to say that the vanilla Opera browser is supreme for this. Just hit back and you're good to go. Might not cover a browser crash, but the most common eventualities, sure.

Agreed...

I used to have this problem years ago with BM and other games, back when I used either IE or Firefox.

Now I use normal Opera and have never had this issue since - because you do indeed just click "Back" and then it's all there where you left it.  Unless the entire browser crashes, I imagine, but that hasn't happened to me for years.  I just stick with Opera and don't need any add-ons :)  And it can cope with multiple "back"s if required.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 17, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
The nice thing about Lazarus is that it also copes with things like accidentally closed tabs, crashed browsers, and other such incidents that cause the page to be closed without hope of a Back button reviving it. (Like you closing the window/tab intentionally, then changing your mind.) Also, it saves the text for reuse even after you have submitted the message. A click or two and the text is there in the window.

I've heard that a lot of people are fanatical about Opera. I've tried it a few times, and just never got the hang of it. Maybe I've just grown too used to Chrome by now that switching to something else would just throw me off my stride too much to feel comfortable. But, hey, there are multiple browsers because not everyone likes the same thing.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 17, 2011, 11:33:36 PM »
Firefox seems to handle crashes very well now, saving the typed text even in those cases. Doesn't do that with closed tabs of course :P

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: August 18, 2011, 02:25:32 AM »
When I write long letters, I just copy them first before I send them just in case something bad happens. Don't need some add ons to fix my problem :D