Author Topic: How do you name your unit?  (Read 10133 times)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
How do you name your unit?
« Topic Start: January 05, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
It always takes me a good 5 minutes to search for a sweet unit name and I usually don't use the same name twice unless placing militia. I found this pretty cool site that loads a bunch of WoW guild names which I use a few different guilds pieced together. Great database for creative medieval names, though some of them are rather silly. We like those, too!  :P

http://www.nickyee.com/python/guildname/generator.py
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

egamma

Re: How do you name your unit?
« Reply #1: January 05, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
I would like to start using names like 4th Darka Infantry, 32nd Light Horse Brigade, etc. Unfortunately they aren't very medieval, but they have a nice cohesive army look.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 05, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »
Seventh Sanctum has a myriad of random name generators for all types of uses. A very interesting site.

http://www.seventhsanctum.com
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #3: January 05, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
I don't use random name generators, I prefer to think of them on my own, that way they're mostly unique.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 06, 2012, 01:16:28 AM »
I like checking various random generators for ideas. Sometimes you get stuck and can't think of anything. Running a name generator through 40 or 50 iterations can often give you some inspiration you can build on, even if you don't use one exactly as generated.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 06, 2012, 04:14:16 AM »
I usually name them from where they are from like "Vakreno Vanguard" etc.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 06, 2012, 05:53:30 AM »
I almost always go with "Iltaran Something", with the something being based on the unit and character in question. Cavalry units with high weapon quality and low armour tend to be Iltaran Lancers for instance.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 06, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
Depends on the noble.  Jenred's had the same unit, the Hawk's Vengeance, for years, ever since he named it that after Valgar insulted Edara.  Colin generally had some Knight-y kind of troop, at least when he could afford he beloved cavalry.  Lucator and Rhennthyl tend to go with some Blood theme.  Damian frequently just left his at the default for whatever the troop was, as his head was busy with armies rather than his own unit. 
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: January 06, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
Fred fries chickens as the ancestor of the BM equivalent of the future BM-equivalent KFC's Colonel Sanchez (Is that his name?) Therefore his unit is the heroically mighty Chicken Friars. But recently he has stated that he likes cats, which earned some pointless input from some Himoura in the realm, so now his unit is the almightily heroicatastically mighty Chicken AND Cat Friars (With the exact same capitalization as seen in-game) Dude, no SMA on FEI, so y'all need to learn to chill out a bit. It's a game, and it's not like I'm saying they have KFC hats and sell processed meat. It's all worked into proper Medieval technology.

Monkee is a kung fu monk who is a monkey. As such he leads his fellow kung fu monkeys on a mission to attain bananas, especially the Legendary Banana of Legends. His unit is named Kung Fu Monkeys. Yes, kung fu existed by the time the Middle Ages rolled around. For a couple thousand of years probably. Yes, monkeys existed. And yes, it's Outer Tilog. I'm playing in the realm that has a talking wolf thing as its General/Banker and a hollow skull thing. A literate monkey that knows Chinese martial arts is hardly anything to raise an eyebrow at.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #9: January 07, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
Fred fries chickens as the ancestor of the BM equivalent of the future BM-equivalent KFC's Colonel Sanchez (Is that his name?)

No, I believe a Colonel Sanchez is a sexual act, the details of which I will let you look up for yourself...

You're looking for Colonel Sanders, actually.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: January 07, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
Huh, well. See, I don't really watch TV anymore, and the few times I do, there weren't many KFC commercials. The most KFC I've ever eaten was in London. But I did know that the colonel's name was something that started with San-

So I went with what came to mind first.

egamma

« Reply #11: January 07, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »
No, I believe a Colonel Sanchez is a sexual act, the details of which I will let you look up for yourself...

You're looking for Colonel Sanders, actually.

The sexual act is a 'dirty Sanchez', actually.

And yes, KFC is Colonel Sanders.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: January 07, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
According to urban dictionary, there is an entry for Colonel Sanchez as well.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 07, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »
I just call all my units Personal Guard. If I'm ruler then Royal Guard or some such.

Not big on fancy names :P
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 08, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
My units are all called <Something> Guard or Bodyguard, where "Something" will reflect whatever my position is. Fiduciary Bodyguard for the Banker, Ducal Guard for the Duke, etc. If they have no position, or the name would make no sense, I just go with Personal Bodyguard.