Author Topic: Noble Houses - I mean, actual houses.  (Read 5654 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Noble Houses - I mean, actual houses.
« Topic Start: January 06, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »
Reading the other topic, called Noble Houses, I got an idea.

What if, when you're in a certain region, you could visit the local estates?

There would be a link under Actions, "Visit local estates" (like there's Visit the Temples", etc.). This would bring you to a drop-down menu of people based in the region. Visiting the home would have no consequences on the level of game mechanics. You would simply get a special messaging screen (similar to the message field you get when transferring funds?) (also adding the person to your contact list? -interesting for diplomats).

Messaging someone using this channel would basically let the person know you're asking them to roleplay with you. This could be the visit itself, or another activity. Basically, it would be the medieval equivalent of poking someone on facebook :) it would also flesh out first encounters, as the receiving persons can easily present themselves.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Houses - I mean, actual houses.
« Reply #1: January 06, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »
Oftentimes people aren't in their estate region. Would you still be able to "poke" someone who isn't in their home region? Nonetheless, this is a pretty awesome idea.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 06, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
And for god's sake, I'm not advocating houses like you see them in RPGs, where you can 'decorate' and expand them buying certain goodies, or get an automated butler or something :P

When not at home, a text provided by the owner could be displayed. Something like: "You are warmly welcomed by a servant presenting herself as Lucilla. She has to apologise for her Lord's absence, but invites you to visit the estate and stay for coffee if you would like to." Or: "The house is in bad shape. Your servant knocks the door several times, but nobody approaches to welcome you. Either you are not wanted here, or the residents have been long gone."

In this way, the house could present itself as some sort of 'profile page' for the characters involved.

(my apologies for the facebook references :P)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 06, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
Oftentimes people aren't in their estate region. Would you still be able to "poke" someone who isn't in their home region? Nonetheless, this is a pretty awesome idea.

Yeah, I adressed that issue in my post above. I came up with that issue as well :P I'm glad you like it!

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 06, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »
When not at home, a text provided by the owner could be displayed. Something like: "You are warmly welcomed by a servant presenting herself as Lucilla. She has to apologise for her Lord's absence, but invites you to visit the estate and stay for coffee if you would like to." Or: "The house is in bad shape. Your servant knocks the door several times, but nobody approaches to welcome you. Either you are not wanted here, or the residents have been long gone."
The estate owner should still be messaged if someone visits, so the whole "hey, I want to talk" thing still happens.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 06, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »
The estate owner should still be messaged if someone visits, so the whole "hey, I want to talk" thing still happens.

Yes. :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: January 06, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
And for god's sake, I'm not advocating houses like you see them in RPGs, where you can 'decorate' and expand them buying certain goodies, or get an automated butler or something :P

Well, I am. And have for several years. There was even a prototype in 2008...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 06, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »

I will name mine: Housecarl Lydia!
Then I'll start shouting at people as a battle technique.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 06, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »
I will name mine: Housecarl Lydia!
Then I'll start shouting at people as a battle technique.

"I'll be glad to carry your burden, Thane" :P

egamma

« Reply #9: January 07, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
House Home!
House Trailerpark!
House Lupus!
House Anthrax!

combat feature request--set a standard 'battlecry' that shows up in the battle report.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: January 07, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
"I'll be glad to carry your burden, Thane" :P

Fus Ro Dah from the top of Throat of the world?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 07, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
Fus Ro Dah from the top of Throat of the world?

I like the Whirlwind Sprint better, in that situation :P too bad the screen fades so quickly after you die, so you can't see yourself bounce all the way down.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: January 07, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
I like the Whirlwind Sprint better, in that situation :P too bad the screen fades so quickly after you die, so you can't see yourself bounce all the way down.
LOL jump down with a horse. It won't be as epic as the Whirlwind Sprint but you can see how your character falls.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 07, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
It's pretty easy to roleplay a meeting in the current system. Still lodging at a friend or even stranger's estate was a common practice in medieval society.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: January 07, 2012, 10:13:21 PM »
You can see that there are estates inhabited by some knights. You can't talk to them unless they're in the region or you have other means. Meh, in short, this is some little bell and whistle that doesn't really hurt anything.