Poll

Do you enjoy having the Zuma/Daimons on Dwilight?

Yes, I love them.
No, I hate them.
I'm not sure.
I don't know anything about them.

Author Topic: Zuma/Daimons  (Read 170416 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Zuma/Daimons
« Topic Start: January 07, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »
I mean, seriously? You come in here, proclaim that you know all about what the Zuma are doing (and you hate it), and you're accusing them of acting without reference to your RP?

I loathe Gygaxian GMs/DMs. The job of a GM is not to force players through any means necessary to obey their plot plans.

Did you ever stop to consider, Lyman, that maybe you're the one who's not acting with reference to their RP? They were there first, after all.

In an open-ended game like BM, I personally don't think the GM's RP plans should be considered. They were there first--- by, like, 3 days or something because I was on vacation. And, even then... is it the same GM? I honestly don't know. If it's not, then I promise you: I was there first. But that's actually not relevant. "I was there first!" is a remarkably silly argument. And it's funny that I hear it repeated both ICly and OOCly.

You have had so many opportunities to go to the Zuma and learn more about them firsthand, but no: you've got them pegged, and you know exactly what they're all about, and you don't want any part of it.

And I have used those opportunities and learned a fairly small amount. And no, I don't have the Zuma pegged. I don't know what they're about. I just know that they have not yet exhibited any interesting behavior, and have actively and passively prevented most players in the area from doing the things those players found rewarding (personally, the Zuma have not interfered in that many of Hireshmont's plans for himself or Terran, though they may be starting to, but I've gotten many complaints from Terran's military types).

Heaven forbid you should actually consider what other people—regular players or GMs—have as their RP rather than deciding it for them.

I do consider what other people have as their RP. But I don't see GMs as having a right to an independent story. They should be facilitators for the players. Again, I have always understand BM (with an exception of Beluaterra during invasions) as a basically player-generated and open-ended game. And Dwilight was the apex of this, IMHO. If that is not the case; if, in fact, Dwilight actually has some plot we're all actually supposed to follow... I'll actually be very disappointed.

(And to be honest, I'm really very surprised about this, because in general, you've always seemed to be pretty reasonable about that sort of thing. You never bitched OOC on the rare occasions when Delvin managed to spoil Hireshmont's plans. Is it really so hard to just think of them as another player—just one with different resources at their disposal?)

Rare occasions? You were spoiler #1. And yes, I do take these things well. I reiterate: I'm not complaing that the Zuma GM has ruined Hireshmont's plans! He hasn't! Hireshmont's plans involve the Moot staying out of the war in Madina, having friendly relations with Astroism, and keeping the Lurias at a safe distance, and everybody having plenty of food. The Zuma have helped Hireshmont achieve all of these things. Hireshmont's plans were closest to failing the day before the Zuma attacked. Since then, they have handed him victory after victory. They're not doing it intentionally, of course. But, ultimately, I as a player don't want Hireshmont to "win," because his ideal means a few largish stable states with stable governments that never go to war and all get along. And the Zuma have basically rescued that vision from the jaws of defeat.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner