Poll

Do you enjoy having the Zuma/Daimons on Dwilight?

Yes, I love them.
No, I hate them.
I'm not sure.
I don't know anything about them.

Author Topic: Zuma/Daimons  (Read 170731 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Zuma/Daimons
« Reply #210: January 13, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »
Limitation of the system, unfortunately. You'll have to live with it for now. I think that Tim has noted this for a possible future change.

I would approve. I don't understand why the game doesn't just use the standard messaging interface for prisoner communications. I get that the idea is that you're not really writing them a letter, but you can't force people to RP appropriately...

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #211: January 14, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »
That single message posted was one of a number sent whilst Terrence was in the Zuma dungeons. The messages either side of the quoted one set the scene, making it clear what was happening and who was speaking. The message before the one quoted (sent 2 hours earlier) ended as a question, Terrence replied, and then the quoted message was sent. An hour later, after another response from Terrence, another message was sent which also included details about  the surroundings and who was interacting. In all others it was made quite clear that it was not Screamer doing the talking. Apologies if this one caused any confusion, that was certainly not the intention.

Well, fairly obviously it wasn't made clear, else I'd have known. I got one RP from Haktoo RPing the capture (which I didn't actually get until after I'd escaped). I also got five messages saying "Screamer visits you in jail and says..." The first one said five Zuma came into the room and one tortured me. Although it doesn't mention Screamer by name, it certainly seemed like a reasonable assumption. Some of the others referred to "the Zuma" as the one interacting with Terrence, but given every one of those messages was prefaced by "Screamer comes into your cell and says..." it again seems reasonable to assume "the Zuma" was Screamer.

It's all very well to say, "Oh, it's a limitation of the system", but how is either Terrence or I supposed to know that?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #212: January 14, 2012, 02:49:07 AM »
Because it's a game mechanic, maybe...

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #213: January 14, 2012, 03:02:57 AM »
And? So because it's a game mechanic, I should automatically assume the person sending the message actually meant something different, but were unable to express it because of limiting mechanics? And I should be able to read their minds and know exactly what it was they were trying to express? That should be my first assumption upon getting any message from the game, now?

Zuma GM

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #214: January 14, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
It's all very well to say, "Oh, it's a limitation of the system", but how is either Terrence or I supposed to know that?

That is a fair point. Although people that have had any dealings will (hopefully) be aware that when talking about Zuma doing things it is referring to the humans that live with the Daimons rather than the Daimons themselves, it is not something that is clear from the offset. Apologies for any misunderstanding caused.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #215: January 14, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
That is a fair point. Although people that have had any dealings will (hopefully) be aware that when talking about Zuma doing things it is referring to the humans that live with the Daimons rather than the Daimons themselves, it is not something that is clear from the offset. Apologies for any misunderstanding caused.

Hireshmont is very much of the opinion that he has had a face-to-face conversation with Haktoo. Never received any RPs to contradict that, and that's usually how he does diplomacy anywhere else. Is that erroneous? I think I even sent an RP about coming up to the volcano or something, but didn't get a response. I know I sent an RP in Nightmarch that didn't get a response.

And... don't mechanics trump RP? If the game says "Screamer said" then doesn't it necessarily mean "Screamer said"?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #216: January 14, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »
Hireshmont is very much of the opinion that he has had a face-to-face conversation with Haktoo. Never received any RPs to contradict that, and that's usually how he does diplomacy anywhere else. Is that erroneous? I think I even sent an RP about coming up to the volcano or something, but didn't get a response. I know I sent an RP in Nightmarch that didn't get a response.

And... don't mechanics trump RP? If the game says "Screamer said" then doesn't it necessarily mean "Screamer said"?

No, no more then it would if I RP'd my noble as mute.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #217: January 14, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
No, no more then it would if I RP'd my noble as mute.

Hmm...great idea for my next character!

Of course...he'd blend in with half the people in the realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #218: January 15, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »

Mechanics trump RP.

Canned game messages do not trump RP unless there is a clear reason for them to do so.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #219: January 16, 2012, 01:44:24 AM »
Mechanics trump RP.

Canned game messages do not trump RP unless there is a clear reason for them to do so.

That seems a very thin line.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #220: January 16, 2012, 03:06:56 AM »
That seems a very thin line.

Not particularly. Game mechanics and in game messages aren't there to restrict creative RP, but they are there to guide the game. In extreme examples, this rule is there to prevent things like people RPing that they one a battle they didn't, or that they avoided a infiltrator when the game clearly tells us they were stabbed etc.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #221: January 16, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Hireshmont is very much of the opinion that he has had a face-to-face conversation with Haktoo.
I believe that could be possible. The fact that screamer doesn't speak is for your own benefit, his voice is loud.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #222: January 16, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
As far as I've seen, only Vates made it a regular habit of speaking directly to humans. Agri might have to Neel, but that's only according to the wiki page.

As far as Screamer and Haktoo and all the other current daimons, I believe that only Haktoo ever actually "speaks" to humans. And by that I mean she actually makes sounds that can be heard in the normal range of human hearing, that do not cause damage, and that can be deciphered into something that resembles human language.

It's important to pay attention to the initial RP engaging your character. Does it say "the daimon/Haktoo approaches you and says..." or does it say "a Zuma approaches you and says..."

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #223: January 16, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
It's important to pay attention to the initial RP engaging your character. Does it say "the daimon/Haktoo approaches you and says..." or does it say "a Zuma approaches you and says..."

Or does it say neither, and you just receive messages that are part of a conversation?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #224: January 16, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
Or does it say neither, and you just receive messages that are part of a conversation?

So you never got the message that started the conversation?