Author Topic: So TMP is gone. Are you enjoying all the new wars?  (Read 58071 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Peacetime can be quite fun too. Noble vs noble squables are fun and do not require war to ocur.

They don't require peace either. The game isn't designed for CONSTANT peace, but there is no reason to make long periods of peace more desirable, there is more then enough incentive already.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
They don't require peace either. The game isn't designed for CONSTANT peace, but there is no reason to make long periods of peace more desirable, there is more then enough incentive already.

Wars are fertile lands for autocratic dissidence-squashing and information-holding with all the nationalistic manipulation possibilities. It's much easier to brand someone a traitor, during war, and have everyone go with it than it would be during peace time.

That doesn't mean that constant peace is desirable, but I'm just saying that squabbles are much more likely (and much more apt to become significant) during peace than during war.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Unfortunately, many players don't use peacetimes for political power-struggles, so in reality there's not so much difference.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, many players don't use peacetimes for political power-struggles, so in reality there's not so much difference.

Many don't, but that doesn't mean nobody does. Most political power-struggles the game has had could not have happened in war time if you ask me.

Which is why I tend to blame some players for being crappy rather than broadly declaring peace to inevitably be boring.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

I've never really seen political power struggles in wartime, while I've seen them in Luria as well as in Cathay and Toupellon, all in peacetime.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I've never really seen political power struggles in wartime, while I've seen them in Luria as well as in Cathay and Toupellon, all in peacetime.

I find that a lot of roleplay oriented things sometimes fall to the wayside during war, especially on islands not called Dwilight. Realms lock in to very team-oriented play where it is all about doing what is necessary to beat the other team. Things like religion, the ideas of feudal hierarchy, and other roleplay necessary parts of the game often fall to the wayside when the the main concern for everyone is "how much CS are the enemy rallying? Where at? Ok everyone refit and rally to X! How many cavalry do they have? Archers? Okay attack! Nice fight everyone, lets refit quick!"

Most other things get ignored. At least, in my experience.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I've never really seen political power struggles in wartime.
I have. It's always fun when two influential dukes squabble over some minor point, and threaten to pull their sponsored armies back from the front lines, or refuse to allow their armies to defend the other duke's lands.

while I've seen them in Luria as well as in Cathay and Toupellon, all in peacetime.
Toupellon has had some intrigue, and some moderately interesting arguments. We have yet to have a true power struggle between influential nobles.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I've seen about two duels to the death in peace time or wartime. It's hard to tell with how some works. You can end up have a whole week with absolutly no battles.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:17:49 PM by mikm »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I have. It's always fun when two influential dukes squabble over some minor point, and threaten to pull their sponsored armies back from the front lines, or refuse to allow their armies to defend the other duke's lands.

I wouldn't say never as he did. I saw some struggles during war as well, but much much more during peace.

Toupellon has had some intrigue, and some moderately interesting arguments. We have yet to have a true power struggle between influential nobles.

I've personally never seen this happen. I reckon it's a rather rare event.

I've seen about two duels to the death in peace time or wartime. It's hard to tell with how some works. You can end up have a whole week with absolutly no battles.

Death duels are very rare, even when the most serious squabbles occur.