Author Topic: So TMP is gone. Are you enjoying all the new wars?  (Read 58185 times)

egamma

TMP itself was no bad idea, but I think it was inadequately attuned to whatever problems caused the lack of wars.

Surely there must be a way of making people, playing a war-game, want to go to war?

Why not hurt character's honor score for lack of war? Those doing civil work, or fighting occasional monster hordes, should gain enough honor to cancel out a 1-point-per-week hit to their honor. But we should maybe make fighting wars more of a personal benefit.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Why not hurt character's honor score for lack of war? Those doing civil work, or fighting occasional monster hordes, should gain enough honor to cancel out a 1-point-per-week hit to their honor. But we should maybe make fighting wars more of a personal benefit.

If there's one thing we've learned from our attempts to make TMP do what we want it to, without causing widespread pain, it's that simple, punitive measures like this just don't work.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

Why so serious about wars in BM? It be a game.

If it's a team based game, why not have something that makes this team a bit more obvious?

Every single game made right now has these stupid achievement points. We don't have to make ourselves appear above stupid, so why not join in the stupidity?

Me: OMG I got 10 BM points for beating two or more units with my unit! OMG I got the ultradifficult "Berserker's Soul" medal! To do that I need to my unit to wipe out two or more enemy units, and win the field with only one man surviving at the end!

Other dude: Oh yeah? I got the "Capitalist Pig" medal by being the Banker of the realm that has over two times the combined food supply of the other realms on the continent! It's all in the economic warfare!

Third dude: Well I got the "Brainwasher" medal for causing at least three enemy regions to revolt by preaching!

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
well... could have a simple tax decrease. i don't mean tax rate tolerance..

what with the new estates efficiency stuff, could lower the efficiency.

whilst it won't make sense (war is probably best method to hide things) blame it on a lack of vigilance because there's peace.

does that help nudge it towards war? maybe, maybe not.
firefox

egamma

we already have achievement points. They are: Gold, Prestige, Honor, Fame, Titles/Positions. Although not necessarily in that order.

Barthalomeus

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Yeah the medals system is in place already, and I think achievements would detract from the "sandbox" aspect of BM.

What about random, widespread famines? food dries up thus gold dries up, ergo less troops and vulnerability. The realm undergoing a famine would either have to buy food off of a neighbor or go out and loot food/gold from neighboring realms. I know we already have a food system in place (unless its been changed recently, I haven't been around in a couple years), but why not increase the severity associated with a lack of food? That would bring back the importance and fun in being a trader, create a legitimate RP reason to go to war, be completely random and unbiased, and create obvious incentives to go to war.

Think how awesome it would be to see BoM absorb a starving MI, or to watch a weak CE get torn asunder by an opportunistic Talerium. Similar situations could occur in the FEI and Dwilight, but those continents don't matter....  ;)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
TMP mainly punished those who didn't go to war. Has there ever been a system in place that gives incentive to those who war (outside the obvious gains like lands and gold), rather than punish those who don't?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
So it needs to be personal?

Something like - the only way to gain Prestige is war, and (new!) it goes down over time?

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
So it needs to be personal?

Something like - the only way to gain Prestige is war, and (new!) it goes down over time?
Which would completely screw over priest and diplo characters?

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It would need some tinkering for all classes for sure. But considering how Nobles sometimes complain about losing 1 Honour from Vulgarity, it might have an effect if done well.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
How about simply restricting prestige increases to real, pvp combat? After all, being an infiltrator or courtier isn't all that prestigious.
It would cause problems for Priests, though (which can be highly prestigious in my optic), as well as for prestige already gained by various characters.

I don't think prestige should drop at any rate, though. You'd go to war once, or twice, and then see your stats drop again? That would work as a detriment once more. Let's keep it positive :)

Or we could put in a new stat. Something on the side. Or perhaps more active advertisement of those realms that are actively fighting, so they see themselves rewarded with more nobles? That kind of brings us back to realm achievements, though.

Lastly, I very much agree we don't need any more individual achievements. Fame hasn't been mentioned yet, even (I consider it to be at the player's level - cfr. it's severely limited influence in-game [at least for me?])

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
TMP mainly punished those who didn't go to war. Has there ever been a system in place that gives incentive to those who war (outside the obvious gains like lands and gold), rather than punish those who don't?

I'm surprised no one cottoned on to this suggestion. It's novel: Instead of punishing peace, why not reward war? The stick didn't seem to work too well, so maybe it's time to try the carrot? Or maybe a mix of the two, to limit the complaints that seemed to result from the pure stick approach?

One thought: Give realms that have been in a war for a while some type of bonus to their warfighting ability, at either the tactical (i.e. in battles) or strategic (i.e. in tax gold, recruitment rates, etc.) level. For two realms (A and B) who go to war with each other from a position of peace, the bonuses accrue at the same rate and offset. But now the neighbors of A and B must consider how dangerous a fully mobilized (maxed out bonuses) realm A might be if it decides to smite them badly as soon as it is done smiting realm B. Maybe they'll want to start a mobilization of their own and get involved in the war in one way or another to begin accruing offsetting bonuses of their own.

Just a thought, no idea if it's practical or makes sense to anyone else.

squirrel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
we already have achievement points. They are: Gold, Prestige, Honor, Fame, Titles/Positions. Although not necessarily in that order.

They aren't mutually exclusive. Lots of games have traditional scoring systems and also achievements.

Fame is our real achievement system. If we displayed Fame more prominently and listed the individual accomplishments that led to each point, we'd see more people chasing their cheevos.
Never approach a vast undertaking with a half-vast plan.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
They aren't mutually exclusive. Lots of games have traditional scoring systems and also achievements.

Fame is our real achievement system. If we displayed Fame more prominently and listed the individual accomplishments that led to each point, we'd see more people chasing their cheevos.

But the ways of earning fame are not devised to encourage war, are they?

Also, when giving bonuses to one realm, you're basically still punishing the realm not going to war. A problem with TMP was that it kept weak realms weak, where would that suggestion address that issue? The idea that realms would join in on wars for future gain, turned out not to work in-game.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
A problem is this as well, for a war you need active nobles, good marshal and an infrastructure. Okay, you can fight a war without those but you will probably lose. Times of peace are great for building up infrastructure, but it sucks for the first two requirements. To get those you need war, but you dont have war because you dont have them.

circle..