Author Topic: New Editor  (Read 19925 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
New Editor
« Topic Start: January 11, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »
I'm replacing the WYSIWYG editor in BattleMaster with the more advanced CKEditor. It has been in a few remote places for a few weeks already and caused no problems, so I'm now rolling it out to most of the game (on testing, at least).

The new editor has a couple really nice features. But if you notice anything that got lost, let me know.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: New Editor
« Reply #1: January 11, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
Is it intentional that it over rides the fact you've set the editor to be used to Plain/HTML in your account options?

Also, this new editor does insane line spacings if you use enter to change lines(which most people will).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:21:34 PM by LilWolf »
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 11, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »
Can it be skinned to blend into the interface? It's really "in your face" right now.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 11, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »
Also, this new editor does insane line spacings if you use enter to change lines(which most people will).

This is a bit of an understatement... it's inserting four lines for every time you press enter.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: January 11, 2012, 08:46:57 PM »
Is it intentional that it over rides the fact you've set the editor to be used to Plain/HTML in your account options?

Hm, that is strange. I'm fairly sure that it isn't due to the editor but the processing we do on the backend.

And yes, the override is intentional. If you don't have javascript enabled, this editor will gracefully degrade to a regular textbox. I don't see any other reasons not to use it.

Can it be skinned to blend into the interface? It's really "in your face" right now.
Yes, it has very nice skinning options. Want to give it a try? The ckeditor website has documentation on how to create your own skin.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 11, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
Also, I noticed some ugly things happening when pasting in text?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: January 11, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »
several input problems are fixed now. They were due to the old code overzelously cleaning the input. Twice. And then again for good measure. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 11, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
One major problem for me, and I assume others as well: The browser's built-in spell checker does not run inside the new editor. I *really* counted on that feature....

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: January 11, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
yeah. I need put google on all the time!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: January 11, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
It's a matter of config options, as it supports both browser-internal and its own spellchecker. I'll have to read the docs and test some settings.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 12, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
i prefer plain text... hate copy/pasting stuff and having it end up with strange font/color, etc in those fancy editors.
firefox

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 12, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »
i prefer plain text... hate copy/pasting stuff and having it end up with strange font/color, etc in those fancy editors.

Paste as plain text.  Any operating system can do this.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 12, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »
The editor has a built-in "paste as plain text" option. It's one of the toolbar buttons.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 12, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
Paste as plain text.  Any operating system can do this.

Orly?

Perhaps you'd like to educate us all by describing how it is done on every operating system?

Or, if you object to my being overly literal, every current version of a major operating system?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 12, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »
Chrome on Windows has a right-click "Paste as plain text" option. However... CKEditor  intercepts that right-click and pops up its own context menu instead, which only has a "
Paste" option. For me, that option then causes CKEditor to complain that my security settings have blocked the editor from accessing the clipboard, and requiring me to paste the text into another pop-up dialog and hit the OK button. Quite the ridiculous process for a simple paste task.

The new editor seems to work OK, but the interface is definitely rough in some spots.