Author Topic: New Editor  (Read 19941 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: New Editor
« Reply #45: January 16, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
Two helpful hints for dealing with pasting formatted text, such as scout reports copied form the scribe notes list:
  • FireFox and Chrome both support CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste plain text instead of styled text. If you have the Adblock Plus extension installed in FireFox, this conflicts with the Adblock Plus "Open blockable items" shortcut. You can change the AdBlock Plus keyboard shortcut as follows:
    • In the browser address bar, type about:config and hit enter. Yes, you will be voiding your warranty. Promise FireFox you'll be careful, and continue on.
    • In the Filter bar, type "sidebar".
    • There will probably be only two keys listed. Maybe more if you have a lot of addons installed. Double-click on the entry "extensions.adblockplus.sidebar_key". This is the keyboard shortcut for the "open blockable items" action.
    • The default value for the shortcut is "Accel Shift V", which on Windows corresponds to "CTRL+SHIFT+V", and on Macs: "COMMAND+SHIFT+V". Change this to something else. Note that it may take some searching to find one that works. A lot of combinations with ALT won't work, as they activate menus. Some just plain don't seem to work at all for no discernible reason. "Accel Shift S" works for me. From the Adblock Plus site: Recognized modifiers are: Shift, Accel (default accelerator key, e.g. Ctrl on Windows, Command on Mac OS X), Ctrl/Control, Alt, Meta.
    • Restart your browser and test it. If it worked, you should have CTRL+SHIFT+V for pasting plain text, and CTRL+SHIFT+S (or whatever you picked) for opening the blockable items.
  • For those of you who use Chrome as your browser, you can access the "Past as plain text" option of the browser's context menu with a CTRL+RightClick in the edit box. This should let you paste plain text into the editor, an avoid the formatted scout report table problem.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: January 18, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
I use opera. Whenever I try to end writing something in italics (by clicking on the "i" button or by using ctrl+i) my text marker just jumps back to the front of the line without doing what it's supposed to do...
The same goes for bold and underline.
Then there's also the "enter leaves a blank space" thing and the copy paste and right-mouse button problems that have already been mentioned.

Now I don't want to be a little crybaby about all the changes, but the text editor is pretty much the most essential part of the game... to have the plain one simply replaced with a buggy rich one is just... irritating to say the least. I've been willing to give it a shot but in all honesty it is starting to severely piss me off that in game communication is bugged.
I've tried turning off the java script but the simple editor box is just too small now to be able to really work with.

I know you're working on this and want us to test it but if you'd just put it as optional, maybe replace the rich editor with it, I sure wouldn't mind testing things... Right now though I would just like to be able to communicate in an easy and comfortable way.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #47: January 18, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
I use opera. Whenever I try to end writing something in italics (by clicking on the "i" button or by using ctrl+i) my text marker just jumps back to the front of the line without doing what it's supposed to do...
The same goes for bold and underline.

Can you tell which version of Opera on what OS so we can try and reproduce it?

Then there's also the "enter leaves a blank space" thing and the copy paste and right-mouse button problems that have already been mentioned.

Enter should be much better now, I just uploaded a new version.

I've tried turning off the java script but the simple editor box is just too small now to be able to really work with.

Can't you resize it? I thought all current browsers make textarea fields resizeable.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 18, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
Can you tell which version of Opera on what OS so we can try and reproduce it?

Opera 11.60 (newest version) on Windows 7.

Enter should be much better now, I just uploaded a new version.

Yup. Thanks. :)

Can't you resize it? I thought all current browsers make textarea fields resizeable.

I know this was possible in firefox but it doesn't seem to be possible in Opera, guess that's my fault for using this browser then. :P

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: January 20, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
I tried to write a Roleplay yesterday in Dwilight and I discovered that now is simple impossible to do a good RP with a much more limited number of characters.

Now we write notes, not letters. It's simply impossible to write a RP. Sometimes I had to split into two parts... now a relatively good PR has to be divided into ten parts. Just impossible.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: January 20, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
I tried to write a Roleplay yesterday in Dwilight and I discovered that now is simple impossible to do a good RP with a much more limited number of characters.

Now we write notes, not letters. It's simply impossible to write a RP. Sometimes I had to split into two parts... now a relatively good PR has to be divided into ten parts. Just impossible.

The character limit hasn't changed. It's been 5000 for as long as I can remember.

I sent an RP that I had to divide into two parts yesterday.

If you have to divide an RP into ten parts, then honestly, I'd have to say it's too long. 50,000 characters is just way too much for most people to want to read all at once.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: January 20, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
This is not what happened. I can send the same RP in the last editor in Sirion (East Continent), but in Dwilight it was cut in the second paragraph.

I said I will have to divide it in ten parts because of it, not because I wrote an entire book.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: January 20, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
This is not what happened. I can send the same RP in the last editor in Sirion (East Continent), but in Dwilight it was cut in the second paragraph.

I said I will have to divide it in ten parts because of it, not because I wrote an entire book.

That's very odd, because I was definitely able to send my 6000+ character RP on Dwilight yesterday in just 2 pieces.

I don't suppose you were using any odd characters, like < or >, in your roleplay...?  :-\
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #53: January 20, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »

I have no freaking idea what you are talking about. Can you be more specific, please?

egamma

« Reply #54: January 20, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
Are any formatting tags in use, like bold or underline? You could have the characters specifying all that special coding using up your character limit.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: January 20, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
Are any formatting tags in use, like bold or underline? You could have the characters specifying all that special coding using up your character limit.

Not to that extent, though.
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: January 22, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
I think that a lot of the problems with the new editor have been worked out. The major problem I still see is with pasting scribe notes. copying several scribe notes and pasting them into the editor still gets you a single long line with all the reports on it. It would be nice if the table>plain text conversion added a line break at the end of every table row.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: January 23, 2012, 06:44:26 AM »
btw... crtl-shift-v is already used by adblock plus in firefox (to open block list)
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: January 23, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Yes, in Firefox it is. I posted instructions on how to change the Adblock shortcut:

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1811.msg39378.html#msg39378

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: January 23, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
just saw those bits above XD

i'll stick to paste icon for now...
firefox