Author Topic: New Editor  (Read 19875 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: New Editor
« Reply #15: January 12, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
i prefer plain text... hate copy/pasting stuff and having it end up with strange font/color, etc in those fancy editors.

Yeah. Would be nice if the editor could default to copy & pasted text being just plain text. Right now it's just a huge step back in usability for that.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 12, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
i'm aware there's such a button.. but what's the keyboard shortcut for that?

i'll take crtl-v in plain txt every day.. and being able to type a message without using a bunch of mouse moves. nvm the ff security thing.

imagine copy/pasting scout report.. with plain text, it's a simple copy (mouse+kb), then you can do all the paste, delete the fresh/delete rubbish.. with the mouse.. before clicking send.

with editors, you copy, use mouse to paste, etc, go back to kb to delete crap, then click to send...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:42:43 PM by fodder »
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 12, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »
Plain text pasting has advantages and disadvantages. Like trying to paste some text that has italics/bold/lists/etc. If you only had plain text pasting, then you'd have to hand remark that text. But it also does remove things like colored backgrounds, graphics, and other stuff that the editor is just going to strip out anyway. The ideal solution would be two separate keyboard shortcuts, one for plain text and one for styled.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #18: January 13, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Please give us the option to default to the old system.  I dislike this new input method already.  Seems more like a step back than a step forward, especially as so many of us can't spell check!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #19: January 13, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »
We will fix specific problems - we are already working on re-enabling spell checking.

But the old system won't come back right now. I need people to use the new editor, so we can find any problems with it. When we've fixed any issues and you are still unhappy, then we can discuss alternative preferences.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 13, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »
One thing that may help: Pressing the CTRL or META key when right-clicking will give you the browser's right-click menu, and not the editor's menu. This will give you access to any browser-specific options, such as pasting in plain text. We have found some direction on how to re-enable the browser's built-in spell-check-as-you-type feature. It still may take some time for us to find the right combination of config options, though.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 13, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
um...

copy multiple lines of reports from the scribe notes page.
paste it as is (not stripped)

you'll get a sort of nice looking table in the editor. (edit.png) except it's never sent out like that... (not that you would want to send it out like that.. way too many fresh/delete junk)

click preview and you'll get to see what it looks like when you sent it - all colors, etc, stripped... including the line breaks   (edit2.png)

which makes it worse than pasting it as plain text... because if you paste it as plain text.. the line breaks are kept. (editplain.png)
firefox

egamma

« Reply #22: January 13, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
I had the same problem as fodder--pasting a table (recruiting centers) look great in the editor...and then when it's sent, it looks like this:

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: January 13, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
I might actually make it possible to send tables - if only for the cut/paste cases. The new editor has a ton of options and features. Some of which I will probably put to good use over time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 13, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
Spell checking in Firefox works, but you have to tell it to check. CTRL+Right-Click > Check Spelling. This will enable the built-in check-as-you-type feature of FireFox for that dialog. But you have to do this again for every message you send. Also, you need to use CTRL+Right-Click to bypass the CKeditor context menu and access the browser's context menu with the word choices.

I haven't been able to get it to work by default yet, or to work with Chrome. Not sure about other browsers.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #25: January 13, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »
Are there still character limits?  I ask, because I don't see it listed anymore.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 14, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Please give us the option to default to the old system.  I dislike this new input method already.  Seems more like a step back than a step forward, especially as so many of us can't spell check!

People could learn to spell. It seems to be a skill that is dead these days.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #27: January 14, 2012, 02:53:35 AM »
I know how to spell. But often I will put the e and i in words like believe the wrong way without realizing it, which is where spell check comes in handy. I know how to spell believe, but sometimes I type it wrong and wouldn't see it without the red line underneath the word.

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 14, 2012, 04:58:04 AM »
As for alternatives to this... thing, I'm working on a Greasemonkey script to destroy instances of the editor after they load. It should work fine in both Firefox and Chrome.

It is unfortunate that the choice to disable the editor has been taken from us. I'm perfectly fine with formatting my messages with HTML code tags myself, I don't need a WYSIWYG editor to do it for me. I'm certainly not ecstatic about having to run my own Javascript on the game to cleanse it because the only other alternative is to turn off Javascript for the entire site.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: January 14, 2012, 05:06:02 AM »
People could learn to spell. It seems to be a skill that is dead these days.

Yeah! Hey all you people who misspell words or make typos, go sit around for a few months and study the dictionary. Maybe when you learn how to spell you can come back to our game! Sheesh!

Oh, and let's not get started on all of those "But English isn't my first language" cry babies. How dare you ask for a spell checker? Too bad! Suck it up! Learn to spell!

::)
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)