Author Topic: Calm before the storm on FEI  (Read 71365 times)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Calm before the storm on FEI
« Reply #195: May 08, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
What's worse is I guess Galen got sold out by someone in Toupellon for no real reason other than they wanted to "avoid war.

I think you are confusing players' desire for interesting things like war with in-character politics.

You approached Toupellon a month or two ago with an offer to pledge to Toupellon and were turned down. You then approached the now-different group running Toupellon-about-to-be-Cathay with the same offer. In both cases it was transparently self-serving, and in both cases Toupellon's response was 'are we prepared to fight over Haul? Can we win?' and the answer came back: 'No.'

Galiard, at least, has no problem with war. But he won't start one he can't finish, and given how ready Zonasa was to go to war over the terrible, terrible 'interruption of the food supply from Ohnar West' earlier, he's not about to give the entire South a reason to invade just for the sake of a mountain stronghold that comes with an uppity Duke.

From Toupellon's perspective, Galen overplayed his hand. It had nothing to do with 'wanting war' or 'avoiding war' and everything to do with not also overplaying ours.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196: May 08, 2012, 05:40:17 PM »
Galen was not "sold out" by Toupellon. We declined to accept Haul and give you asylum because, as Scarlet says, we could not afford at the time to get involved in a war over it. That would have been suicide. We would have lost Haul and probably more to boot. Look what happened when we tried to fight OW.

There's a big difference between declining to grant asylum and "sold out".
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #197: May 08, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
I think you are confusing players' desire for interesting things like war with in-character politics.

You approached Toupellon a month or two ago with an offer to pledge to Toupellon and were turned down. You then approached the now-different group running Toupellon-about-to-be-Cathay with the same offer. In both cases it was transparently self-serving, and in both cases Toupellon's response was 'are we prepared to fight over Haul? Can we win?' and the answer came back: 'No.'

Galiard, at least, has no problem with war. But he won't start one he can't finish, and given how ready Zonasa was to go to war over the terrible, terrible 'interruption of the food supply from Ohnar West' earlier, he's not about to give the entire South a reason to invade just for the sake of a mountain stronghold that comes with an uppity Duke.

From Toupellon's perspective, Galen overplayed his hand. It had nothing to do with 'wanting war' or 'avoiding war' and everything to do with not also overplaying ours.

It still stands that they turned him over for no reason other than to get him in trouble. It isn't as if he ever came over, and even if he had you could've just exposed his intentions and handed him back over. It just seems needlessly spiteful to expose him ... while he's in prison... with no objective other than to seal what might have been an exile into a death sentence.

I mean, I'm not hating OOC or anything. I understand if they didn't want the war with Zonasa, I was just confused and caught off guard by their desire to expose him, when he had never done anything to cause dislike from Toupellon. *shrug*
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #198: May 08, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
Galen was not "sold out" by Toupellon. We declined to accept Haul and give you asylum because, as Scarlet says, we could not afford at the time to get involved in a war over it. That would have been suicide. We would have lost Haul and probably more to boot. Look what happened when we tried to fight OW.

There's a big difference between declining to grant asylum and "sold out".

Well, someone, in Toupellon told Zonasa's rulers about it with clearly no other objective than to get Galen in trouble. That is what I'm referring too. I don't know who it was, though. Could've been someone Galen had never spoken too considering it seems this stuff was talked about in some councils in Toupellon.

Perhaps someone in Order of the Elders who didn't like Galen?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #199: May 08, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
Galiard had no idea he was in prison. Neither did I, since I didn't start reading about it on this thread until after Galen had been turned in.

Galiard had Regent Evans on one hand whom he doesn't know and whom he thinks is looking for a reason to invade, and Galen on the other ... whom he also doesn't know.

Galen handed Cathay a chance to earn political points with Zonasa at very little cost and by doing the 'honorable' (or at least lawful) thing to boot -- refuse to scheme and plot and turn in the schemer. Maybe those points won't amount to much and maybe Cathay doesn't even need them, but Galiard likes collecting favors. Ask Jenred. :)

Galen certainly didn't give anybody any reason not to like him (or to like him) and that didn't play into it at all. But when you play the game of thrones...

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #200: May 08, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »
Galiard had no idea he was in prison. Neither did I, since I didn't start reading about it on this thread until after Galen had been turned in.

Galiard had Regent Evans on one hand whom he doesn't know and whom he thinks is looking for a reason to invade, and Galen on the other ... whom he also doesn't know.

Galen handed Cathay a chance to earn political points with Zonasa at very little cost and by doing the 'honorable' (or at least lawful) thing to boot -- refuse to scheme and plot and turn in the schemer. Maybe those points won't amount to much and maybe Cathay doesn't even need them, but Galiard likes collecting favors. Ask Jenred. :)

Galen certainly didn't give anybody any reason not to like him (or to like him) and that didn't play into it at all. But when you play the game of thrones...

Ah. I see.

Again, I'm not trying to whine about it. Was more just asking for the bottom of it to get some closure to everything that happened since that part particularly caught me off guard and was only part of everything that I wasn't sure of what happened exactly.

Although now I'm thinking it was just some way for the Scarlett's to get a 'one up' on the Perth's.....  ;)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #201: May 08, 2012, 06:03:36 PM »
Although now I'm thinking it was just some way for the Scarlett's to get a 'one up' on the Perth's.....  ;)

Family feuds! How exciting  :D

What better reason to bring back a character to FEI.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #202: May 08, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »

My characters on different continents don't communicate with each other. I get really tired of 'House' vendettas where the character's name doesn't matter, just the family's.

Galiard had very little idea who Galen is and has no idea who Kale is. Even had he known about Kale, he wouldn't ever do something like that - he'd consider it petty to make such a major political move on the basis of a personal grudge. In fact, if Galiard knew who Kale was, if anything it might have helped Galen rather than hurt him.

Galiard is a political chess-player. He used to win a lot but as he's gotten older and crankier and realms have gotten smaller it's become harder for him to make moves. In his prime he managed as much as he did because he had rulers from all over who owed him one, and if there's one prediction you can make about him it's that he would like to be in that position again!

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #203: May 08, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »
That only leaves the Far East, but I feel like if I made a new Character there it would feel a little... awkward. What do you all think? What's the norm for this kind of thing? I've never had a character executed before, lol.

Come join Arcaea. We won't mind too much that Zonasa executed a relative of your new character. Might even give him bonus points.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #204: May 08, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
Or Cathay. There's not much love between Cathay and Zonasa, at least not yet, and we're small enough that one vocal person can influence things.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #205: May 08, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »
My characters on different continents don't communicate with each other. I get really tired of 'House' vendettas where the character's name doesn't matter, just the family's.

I was just joshin'.

Galen was a bit of a family outcast anyway. He has no real bearing on Kale or Kerwin and knew little about them and vice versa.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #206: May 08, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
What's worse is I guess Galen got sold out by someone in Toupellon for no real reason other than they wanted to "avoid war." I mean, sheesh, in a time when the whole island is just reaching for some reason to fight, to sell out the guy who's going to provide a great reason for it? Religious entanglements and all! Lame. Plus, they didn't even have to do it, because I never switched Haul over. They could've simply revealed the treason then and said, "hey, we want no part of this, take him back." But, for some reason unbeknownst to me they wanted Galen in big trouble, I guess.

I was actually hoping, both OOC and IC, that they would take you up on it.  Part of the reason Morgan was letting you stay in Haul was because he wanted you to take the region to Toupellon, so that Zonasa would have an excuse for war.

But then Toupellon had to go and do the smart thing. . . .

No kidding. I didn't ever really think Galen would get executed for it. SigrĂșn is a hard-ass. Banned I expected; possibly taken Haul to another realm and started a war, etc. Didn't think he would get executed, at least not in Zonasa of all places.

I especially did not foresee how difficult it would be to get out of the realm. I guess I'll know in the future now. In retrospect, I should have just taken Haul to Toupellon much earlier. However, how quiet the realm got and how everyone seemed to lose interest in the Tribunal made me think I was maybe going to get away with it. However, it is now apparent that Toupellon wanted none of that anyways, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered in the end.

Also, I wish the other members of the Church would have been a little more supportive. But, the Church sucks and was mostly why I did what I did because I was bored and was thinking of pausing/deleting Galen anyways. All of Galen's previous relationship and friendship with Rory also made me think I would have an ally in him, but he jumped all over me too. SigrĂșn offered me the option of exile if Galen would "confess" his crimes. I thought about it for a second but it would have obviously not been Galen's character to do so. Also, I'm not sure what I would have done with him somewhere else. It works out in the end, Galen is gone and becomes a martyr for his Church and I've rid myself of a, until then, mostly boring character and religion.

Running earlier probably would have been wiser.

I'm guessing that Rory felt like it was a betrayal -- Morgan took it somewhat personally, the offer of exile if he would confess was his doing.  He really wanted to know why Galen would do such a thing . . . he was really upset at Galen but didn't actually want him dead, but didn't feel like he could save him without Galen confessing.

David would have liked to give a bit more support, but was in a hard situation being the Regent's nephew, and getting leaned on by the family . . . though he did raise belief in Echad in Zonasa to over 60%.  If you had waited a couple weeks before doing the initial auto de fe, Morgan would probably have joined the church, actually.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #207: May 08, 2012, 06:54:40 PM »
David would have liked to give a bit more support, but was in a hard situation being the Regent's nephew, and getting leaned on by the family . . . though he did raise belief in Echad in Zonasa to over 60%.  If you had waited a couple weeks before doing the initial auto de fe, Morgan would probably have joined the church, actually.

Yeah  :-\ That would've been fun.

But... he still can! The religion is pretty much yours now, congrats! lol  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:01:14 PM by Perth »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #208: May 08, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
Yeah  :-\ That would've been fun.

But... he still can! The religion is pretty yours now, congrats! lol  ;D

While it lasts.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #209: May 08, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
While it lasts.

Feel free to join, Anaris.