Author Topic: Calm before the storm on FEI  (Read 71434 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Calm before the storm on FEI
« Reply #30: February 03, 2012, 06:18:40 AM »
I thought you can't improve your skill through a training match. That is why I use duel to surrender as a way to improve swordfighting.

That is ONE of the reasons that training matches DON'T improve swordfighting. Duels are for honour, not for for a cheap way to increase your sword fighting skill. If you are duelling for fun and skills using duel to surrender, I suggest you are abusing the system.

That statement on the wiki is ridiculous if you ask me. How can you justify saying something is perfectly fine if you RP it, but goes against the medieval atmosphere of the game If you use the game mechanic for it? That makes no sense.

Only because the mechanics for a fun or training match didn't exist at the time. The mechanics represented a serious duel over insults. If you wanted to have "fun" duelling or sport duelling, the RP's were the answer. Note this has changed at least on testing with the implementation of training matches. The rule also existed to prevent people from constantly duelling each other for skill gain
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: February 03, 2012, 07:32:17 AM »
That is ONE of the reasons that training matches DON'T improve swordfighting. Duels are for honour, not for for a cheap way to increase your sword fighting skill. If you are duelling for fun and skills using duel to surrender, I suggest you are abusing the system.

I suggest maybe the more sensible change is that simply change duels to not improve skill at all, rather than telling people not to use it for that.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: February 03, 2012, 09:33:06 AM »

Only because the mechanics for a fun or training match didn't exist at the time. The mechanics represented a serious duel over insults. If you wanted to have "fun" duelling or sport duelling, the RP's were the answer. Note this has changed at least on testing with the implementation of training matches. The rule also existed to prevent people from constantly duelling each other for skill gain

The dueling guild is set up to be held like a tournament, with a 250 gold prize, "champion of the duel" status, and each round nobles are eliminated. It does display honor and is not an abuse of the system. We also have a noble fro PoZ dominating the first tournament, Sir Moses. In a few weeks, Sasrhas will also be hosting her own tournament to invite other nobles to join our guild and share the opportunity. We are most certainly not abusing the system this way
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: February 03, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »

There is a reason they are called "training matches", and have a completely separate page from duels.

They are not duels. They are a friendly bout of sword-sparring.

A duel is inherently over honour, and should not ever be treated as just a fun way to pass the time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: February 03, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
The dueling guild is set up to be held like a tournament, with a 250 gold prize, "champion of the duel" status, and each round nobles are eliminated. It does display honor and is not an abuse of the system. We also have a noble fro PoZ dominating the first tournament, Sir Moses. In a few weeks, Sasrhas will also be hosting her own tournament to invite other nobles to join our guild and share the opportunity. We are most certainly not abusing the system this way

And, um...this is supposed to make it better how, exactly?

Tom has made it perfectly clear: Duels are not for sport. They are not for fun. They are not for finding out who's better. They are for resolving insults and matters of honour.

Why is this something Tom is adamant about? Because that's how duels were treated by medieval nobles.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: February 03, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »
Anaris is spot on here. There was miles of difference between a duel and a tournament. 'A dueling guild set up like a tournament' is a contradiction -- if it's a tournament then it's a tournament, and duels have nothing to do with tournaments.

The point of a tournament is sport. The point of a duel is satisfaction.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: February 03, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
In a few weeks, Sasrhas will also be hosting her own tournament to invite other nobles to join our guild and share the opportunity. We are most certainly not abusing the system this way

I hope Far East doesn't get engulfed by a storm of tournaments, like EC did.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: February 03, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »
The dueling guild is set up to be held like a tournament, with a 250 gold prize, "champion of the duel" status, and each round nobles are eliminated. It does display honor and is not an abuse of the system.
Yeah, it really is an abuse of the dueling system.

However, the large desire for a "swords for sport" option drove the implementation of the Training Match system. I highly recommend that you delay your "dueling guild" until the training match feature is implemented on stable islands. Using the dueling feature for sport is, without any doubt, an abuse of the feature. This type of abuse is why the "First Blood" option was removed.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #38: February 03, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »
Why dont they...you know...host an actual tournament?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: February 03, 2012, 03:32:01 PM »
Why dont they...you know...host an actual tournament?

Because then nasty, dirty people they don't like might actually be able to show up and participate.
Timothy Collett

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: February 03, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
Thank you for this discussion about dueling.  This was my point, but it's not exactly a point that could be made in character.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: February 07, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
Maybe now !@#$ can hit the fan. All the rulers of FEI are now fresh faced newbies. Time the status quo was shaken up. Perhaps Kindara now realises how boring playing PeaceMaster can get.

Whoa, just realised I used now thrice....

Now it's five times in all..  ::)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:48:45 PM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: February 07, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »
Maybe now !@#$ can hit the fan. All the rulers of FEI are now fresh faced newbies.

Not...really.  Morgan, ruler of PoZ, has been around for dog's years.

(Don't know much about the others; my PoZ character hasn't yet had much exposure to international politics)
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: February 07, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »
Toupellon's ruler, Claude, is a new account, but a returning player.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: February 07, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »
Not...really.  Morgan, ruler of PoZ, has been around for dog's years.

(Don't know much about the others; my PoZ character hasn't yet had much exposure to international politics)

I meant that it was their first time as ruler of their realm.