Author Topic: Calm before the storm on FEI  (Read 70490 times)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Re: Calm before the storm on FEI
« Reply #15: February 01, 2012, 04:42:05 AM »
Update from OW: Our judge has gone mad and banned Lord Bart Simpson! For apparently not being a noble...
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 02, 2012, 12:44:17 AM »
That's nothing new. I OOC-banned a few people with names like that back in Lasanar's day.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 02, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »
That's nothing new. I OOC-banned a few people with names like that back in Lasanar's day.

I kind of wish MORE judges would do this. Especially on Dwilight.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 02, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »

Got OOC banned for cussing in Astrum a few years back. By the very same person who introduced me to the game - the Addonwy family. Anyways, we protested her out of office since our Prime Minister has been wounded after our first inter-realm tournament wounded about  half of our nobles  :P

I really wish training matches were online on FEI, this guild would be the perfect place to test out all of the nook and crannies of this feature. We have about 11 active members so far, I'm doing all I can to get the whole realm in one guild, though  :D
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 02, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
Got OOC banned for cussing in Astrum a few years back. By the very same person who introduced me to the game - the Addonwy family. Anyways, we protested her out of office since our Prime Minister has been wounded after our first inter-realm tournament wounded about  half of our nobles  :P

I really wish training matches were online on FEI, this guild would be the perfect place to test out all of the nook and crannies of this feature. We have about 11 active members so far, I'm doing all I can to get the whole realm in one guild, though  :D

What did you do, use regular duel to first wound instead?

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: February 02, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
What did you do, use regular duel to first wound instead?

Duel to surrender. There's only that and to the death which won't be had

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 03, 2012, 03:45:35 AM »

Thank you!

I'm moving that former judge to that continent where there can be no Bart Simpson, who is by the way related to Homer and Lisanna Simpson.  Also, where nobles don't duel to surrender when there is no insult or offense involved, just because they are bored.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 03, 2012, 03:59:08 AM »
Duel to surrender. There's only that and to the death which won't be had

I know that training duels haven't made it to stable, but using the other duelling options for sport is still not generally acceptable. Tom relented enough to create training duels specifically for duelling guilds and the like, but I don't think it appropriate to use duel to surrender on stable islands still.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: February 03, 2012, 05:03:55 AM »
I know that training duels haven't made it to stable, but using the other duelling options for sport is still not generally acceptable. Tom relented enough to create training duels specifically for duelling guilds and the like, but I don't think it appropriate to use duel to surrender on stable islands still.

First time I've heard of this. I suppose it's because the loser usually gets wounded and when nobles with positions are involved, they lose the positions and sometime really screw up the realm.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: February 03, 2012, 05:14:37 AM »
Actually, it was because dueling was not supposed to be taken lightly.  It was meant to resolve matters like offenses or insults, to restore honour.
Dueling for a sport was only to be done at tournaments.

Zakilevo

« Reply #25: February 03, 2012, 05:22:21 AM »
I settle things with a death duel. I challenge people with a surrender duel to find out who is a better swordsman~

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: February 03, 2012, 05:32:37 AM »
I settle things with a death duel. I challenge people with a surrender duel to find out who is a better swordsman~

Obviously this is slightly out of date, since duelling guilds can now use the training option on testing islands. But rules from the wiki

"Duels serious affairs meant to be used to defend one's honor, and may result in character death. They are not for sport or fun. As such, dueling guilds are prohibited if they use game-mechanic duels. Dueling guilds using roleplayed duels are acceptable."

I'm not 100% sure where we stand with duelling on stable right now. It is annoying that a option exists on testing that allows for things like duelling guilds or duelling to determine the best swordsmen, but not on stable. Might be something to bring up with the magistrates I don't know.

My feeling is duelling to surrender should still only be used to sort out slights against ones honour.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: February 03, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »
That statement on the wiki is ridiculous if you ask me. How can you justify saying something is perfectly fine if you RP it, but goes against the medieval atmosphere of the game If you use the game mechanic for it? That makes no sense.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: February 03, 2012, 05:48:59 AM »
That statement on the wiki is ridiculous if you ask me. How can you justify saying something is perfectly fine if you RP it, but goes against the medieval atmosphere of the game If you use the game mechanic for it? That makes no sense.

It is possible to hold a "fake" duel while making certain that no one actually gets hurt - see LARPing for example. You can RP that.

However, that is not what the game mechanic duel does. Game mechanic duels are to hurt people. When you press that button, you are trying to kill your opponent. You can't press the button and then argue in a RP that you didn't really mean it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Zakilevo

« Reply #29: February 03, 2012, 06:06:03 AM »
I thought you can't improve your skill through a training match. That is why I use duel to surrender as a way to improve swordfighting.