Poll

I have not bought "Beyond the Blight", because...

not interested
29 (31.9%)
too expensive
6 (6.6%)
waiting for the iTunes/Nook release
4 (4.4%)
don't have an e-reader
20 (22%)
purchase doesn't work / no credit card / not available in my country / etc.
8 (8.8%)
other (please detail in comment)
24 (26.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Beyond the Blight - not selling well ?  (Read 39525 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Beyond the Blight - not selling well ?
« Topic Start: January 13, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
The e-book "Beyond the Blight" isn't selling well. To be honest, sales are so far below my expectations, that I'm wondering if something is broken or what's going on.

Please help me find out what's going on by answering this short poll. It takes less than 30 seconds.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond the Blight - not selling well ?
« Reply #1: January 13, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
Haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting until I'll actually have time to read it.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 13, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
When I saw that there was an e-book, I was honestly disappointed there wasn't an actual physical book I could buy instead--this was actually the first thing I looked for. Call me old-fashioned, but I like reading to be with an actual book. That and it looks cool on the shelf, and then people can wonder what it is, and pick it up and read it, and ask questions, and I can recruit them :D

That and I don't really own an e-reader. I'm sure my cell is large enough with it's 4.3 inch (10.92 cm) screen, and I could read it on my computer but... Still like books to be actual books.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 13, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
^exactly what he said :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 13, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
To even get a modest production run of a physical book would likely cost Tom $2-5k, all upfront. This would not be with any distribution mind you, that is just the average cost of what they call vanity publishers. He would then either need to find a distribution group willing to take him on, or would have to do it all himself, have us put the money into paypal, work out postage cost himself and send it all off. It would be nice, but unless there is a service out there that I'm unaware of, its just not practical. Of course there might well be some new services, I haven't looked into publishing since I helped a friend self publish a book on meditation a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:10:23 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

allanon

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 13, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
personally it doesn't catch my interest too well, but for those claiming they don't have an e-reader, there is software out there that you can use for free for e-books you've purchased.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows is the one I use, but others include Lexcycle Stanza, coolreader, etc. Some will support ebooks with DRM, some will not.

Hope this helps improve things :)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 13, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
Oh, I know this. I've gather about all the same information from the various webcomics I read, and their occasional posts about how much it actually costs to run so many. Which is why a lot of those same webcomics do preorders, to find out how many people are actually interested in getting it. Or, they simply ask. Generally, people will say whether or not they are interested or not. True, not everyone who says they'll buy something will buy it, but on the flipside, some will.

And if it's 2-5k up front, well, set the prices accordingly. I once paid $39 for the signed hardcover of a $15 paperback because I really liked the webcomic. And it was 72 pages long. Albeit, full color, but still point stands. I've played BM for a lot longer than it took me to read that webcomic.

Not to mention, with physical books, you can charge extra for random things, like getting so-and-so's signature in the book, or you can number so many of them, or say "I'm only signing the first 50", or whatever creative thing you come up with.

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 13, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
I have not bought the book (yet) as I do not have an e-reader (and do not plan to buy one in the near to medium future). Reading about the software emulating an e-book reader did decide the issue for me - will download that and buy the e-book later today.

I would suggest adding a link to downloadable e-book reader software on the sale/notification page.

Am looking forward to the book!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 13, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
Oh, I know this. I've gather about all the same information from the various webcomics I read, and their occasional posts about how much it actually costs to run so many. Which is why a lot of those same webcomics do preorders, to find out how many people are actually interested in getting it. Or, they simply ask. Generally, people will say whether or not they are interested or not. True, not everyone who says they'll buy something will buy it, but on the flipside, some will.

And if it's 2-5k up front, well, set the prices accordingly. I once paid $39 for the signed hardcover of a $15 paperback because I really liked the webcomic. And it was 72 pages long. Albeit, full color, but still point stands. I've played BM for a lot longer than it took me to read that webcomic.

Not to mention, with physical books, you can charge extra for random things, like getting so-and-so's signature in the book, or you can number so many of them, or say "I'm only signing the first 50", or whatever creative thing you come up with.

The difference is, since it is a web comic you already KNOW you will like it, you already know how you value the content. With Toms offering you are taking a bit of a gamble on just what the value of the content will end up being. So we are left with Tom needing to spend time establishing his story telling credentials just so he can take a shot a publishing a series of short stories? Guys that do web comics tend to dedicate hours upon hours a week to get things up and running, for months or years before publishing a collection is a practical reality.

Carnes

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 13, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
I'm waiting for the iTunes release. Simply because I have a gift voucher there I'd like to use. :)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 13, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
The difference is, since it is a web comic you already KNOW you will like it, you already know how you value the content. With Toms offering you are taking a bit of a gamble on just what the value of the content will end up being. So we are left with Tom needing to spend time establishing his story telling credentials just so he can take a shot a publishing a series of short stories? Guys that do web comics tend to dedicate hours upon hours a week to get things up and running, for months or years before publishing a collection is a practical reality.

How do you know people won't buy it? In the last 30 days people donated € 152. That's not much, but it's something. And no, I'm not saying spend that. I'm saying that at the minimum there are people who probably wouldn't mind buying a book to support the game. I know I've donated before, and rather than a title that lasts for a bit and an extra drone, I'd actually have a physical, tangible object. That'd be awesometastical. Even better if there was a signed copy (yes, I'd prolly splurge and buy that instead of the regular one).

You could always just ask people if they'd like it. There are ~400 active daily players of BM (pulled from BM stats), another ~300 on top of that that consistently log in atleast every few days. That's ~700 people you can ask whether or not they'd like something. You could even ask them how much they'd expect to pay for something.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 13, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
How do you know people won't buy it? In the last 30 days people donated € 152. That's not much, but it's something. And no, I'm not saying spend that. I'm saying that at the minimum there are people who probably wouldn't mind buying a book to support the game. I know I've donated before, and rather than a title that lasts for a bit and an extra drone, I'd actually have a physical, tangible object. That'd be awesometastical. Even better if there was a signed copy (yes, I'd prolly splurge and buy that instead of the regular one).

You could always just ask people if they'd like it. There are ~400 active daily players of BM (pulled from BM stats), another ~300 on top of that that consistently log in atleast every few days. That's ~700 people you can ask whether or not they'd like something. You could even ask them how much they'd expect to pay for something.

If people aren't willing to spend less then $10 on the digital version and count it as a donation, the chances that a substantial amount of player base would pay more to get the physical version is unlikely. Sure there will be some, but enough to make it worth Toms time and effort?

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 13, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »
Why not just ask?

I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying, there's no harm is asking.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 13, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
Why not just ask?

I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying, there's no harm is asking.

Because asking would imply that Tom has an interesting in doing it, which he may not.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: January 13, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
The way I see it (Which is totally just a personal opinion that matters nothing, but hey, you asked for me to explain in Other) is that this is paying for information.

I understand that it might not actually provide any real advantage to people who read the book. But, the opposition I have is not the actual contents or the actual consequences, but rather the perception.

As far as I was ever concerned, BM was a game where I could get everything anyone else could get without paying. I just needed to have the smarts, the willpower, and to be in the right place at the right time. Donating would only give another character, but even that was balanced in the limits placed on characters per continent anyway.

But a book, a potential OOC aid that would, in fact, mean that those who pay receive an advantage over those who either do not or cannot pay? Again, don't go on about how this point isn't true. I'm well aware that this might not have been Tom's intent. I am also aware that the stories might not have any material that is actually helpful for this Invasion. But the perception remains that it has weight in the current Invasion. If this was written after the 5th was over, and it was absolutely certain that there would be no further invasions, or at least, that the Blight would not factor into future invasions, then there would be no perception that the book is a potential OOC advantage given to those who want to pay for it.

I joined BM originally because I wanted to play a free online competitive game where your own skills, actions, and words, made the difference, not how much you could pay. And now that there's a book called "Beyond the Blight" when there is Blight all around in-game on BT, then, regardless of what is actually true, there is a compelling gut feeling that doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, it's unfair. But I'm just explaining a reason I have (other than just "I'm cheap").