Poll

I have not bought "Beyond the Blight", because...

not interested
29 (31.9%)
too expensive
6 (6.6%)
waiting for the iTunes/Nook release
4 (4.4%)
don't have an e-reader
20 (22%)
purchase doesn't work / no credit card / not available in my country / etc.
8 (8.8%)
other (please detail in comment)
24 (26.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Beyond the Blight - not selling well ?  (Read 39537 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Beyond the Blight - not selling well ?
« Reply #15: January 13, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
Can we move the discussion to a seperate topic, please?

I am really interested in feedback first and foremost. People might be too intimidated to post their short reasons if they see a huge discussion.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: January 13, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »
The way I see it (Which is totally just a personal opinion that matters nothing, but hey, you asked for me to explain in Other) is that this is paying for information.

Thanks, that was very valuable to me.

Be assured that the book contains flavour material and some background information on what's going on inside the Blight, but none of that is relevant towards surviving the 5th invasion. You can - and are welcome to do so - consider all the material IC knowledge if your character can explain how he got those letters, reports, etc. - and that is why I've published it now and not after the invasion. First, it was finished now and I didn't want it gathering dust and two you can if you want incorporate it into the current game. But that only gives you stories and atmosphere, it doesn't give you strategically important clues.(*)

(*) unless "Daimons are evil" is something that for some reason is news to your character.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 13, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
I don't have a credit card and at least Amazon doesn't seem to accept Paypal / iDEAL or anything like that. I'm pretty busy IRL right now though, so I haven't properly looked yet at the possibilities. But if I can find some way to buy it without using a credit card, I'll go for it :) I'll just have to look into after next week, as then I'll be done with things.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 13, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
lulu.com accepts paypal.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Absolon

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 13, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
OK I so I picked I don't have an e-reader before I read the comments that you can download one for a PC. But I have to say I would prefer the idea of a real physical book. Yeah I understand the impracticalities of it, but I just like the physical feel of a book. A signed copy is also an awesome idea. The it could go next to my signed Robert Rankin books.
That being said I think a book is an awesome idea and I might even bite the bullet, download teh e-reader and buy the book.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 13, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
lulu.com accepts paypal.

Sweet. I'll look into lulu.com then :)

Kiltan

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 13, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »
Two reasons, the first is that I already maxed out my card for this month buying lab equipment I needed.
The second is that I don't really have a lot to judge the quality of this book on. I know Tom's ability as a game designer, but that doesn't lend much credence to his ability as an author. The main trouble is that there is no clear and obvious way to form an opinion on his writing without buying the book. From skimming the forum announcement I found that there were some free chapters floating around in the wiki?  Why not link those? Why not put up a page for the first few stories, hell even one if it's good enough, to give the people an example?

I put up a free E-book a month or so ago. It was a collection of previous pieces and fragments, including a few short stories, that I had earlier posted on my writing blog. They were slightly better edited, and some had drawings of my own making to accompany them.
Now, my blog tracks between 70 to 200 readers every month, depending on how active I am, so I expected at the very least around 30 downloads. At the VERY LEAST. But after leaving the post announcing the book for about two weeks, I only had 15 downloads. I gave up trying to get folks to download it, and just got back to writing as per the usual, letting a few new posts knock the announcement off the front page (keeping a link to the post on the side of the blog). Then an unexpected thing happened: after a few weeks off the front page, downloads had more than tripled for the Ebook.

This was because new readers (and old ones who needed reminding) stumbled upon the blog, were impressed by the writing (English is a third language for me, but in my native tongue, I am truly very talented) and noticed the ever so pitiful tiny link on the side. Now, of course, this is was a free product, but still, interest tripled once people knew what they were in for.

So yeah, free samples. That's my suggestion here. Let us know what we're buying

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #22: January 13, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »
So yeah, free samples. That's my suggestion here. Let us know what we're buying

You can read the prologue and the first page of the first story right on amazon, it's part of the "look inside" feature.

Fury

« Reply #23: January 13, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
I would love to support in any way (time, effort, abilities, etc.) but cash.  :(

Kiltan

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 13, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
You can read the prologue and the first page of the first story right on amazon, it's part of the "look inside" feature.

Yes, but how many people remember/know of this, or even get to the Amazon page?  I still say a link for a sample should be right up there with the main link on the game page, or in the official wiki page. Humans are lazy and lethargic creatures, unless you peak their interest right away.

egamma

« Reply #25: January 13, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
I think you left off a choice--I actually purchased it! It helped a lot that I had some Amazon credit already, that I'd gotten for free.

I think you should also make it clear that all you need to read the digital Amazon copy is your web browser, you don't need a Kindle or any special software.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 13, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
Payday is next friday. Although I also have no e-reader and most likely will never get one, prefer a good solid book.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 13, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
The truth is... these books are not easy to sell at first.  You do have a good group of us here who share an interest in your creation (Game, book, story, etc) but it will still take time to get sales going.

I am sure you have information and second hand stories of other people who have done books so I will not write my own second hand tale...but know that its not a big sell right out of the gate.

Will I get the book?  Perhaps.  The economy blows... Family and Work must come first... Inheritance Cycle book 4 came out just before Christmas... Skyrim is draining our player base energy and time...

Lastly... Until I saw today's message... I thought you had started April fools day early.

One more thing.  Remember that books are art.  Continue to promote it but do not judge your work based on sales.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: January 13, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »
I would love to support in any way (time, effort, abilities, etc.) but cash.  :(

It's not a question of support - that's what donations are for. I would've earned more money in less time flipping burgers at McD.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: January 13, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »
I am also a bigger fan of a book that I can hold in my hands compared to a e-book. But as I am a fan of the background story I will most likely buy a copy one day.

Why not at this time? That awnser is very simple. It's januari, the month that is always accompanied by a lack of funds on my bank account. (might have something to do with the holidays and stuff like that) Next month, if it is still available by then, I will buy it for sure. Good reason to see if my smart phone works as a e-reader.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.