Poll

I have not bought "Beyond the Blight", because...

not interested
29 (31.9%)
too expensive
6 (6.6%)
waiting for the iTunes/Nook release
4 (4.4%)
don't have an e-reader
20 (22%)
purchase doesn't work / no credit card / not available in my country / etc.
8 (8.8%)
other (please detail in comment)
24 (26.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Beyond the Blight - not selling well ?  (Read 39529 times)

Stien Family

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond the Blight - not selling well ?
« Reply #45: January 13, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »
I do not like E books until it comes out in paper format I will not get it. 

egamma

« Reply #46: January 14, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »
You realize Lulu(which Tom used for the ebook) offers pretty much the same service? On-demand prints of books.

Both of these still have a bit of cost involved since you need to order a test copy of the book for approval etc. Also time issues since you need to rework the layout from the ebook version a bit and other stuff like that.

Still, I think this would sell a few more copies, and since it's on Lulu already...

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: January 14, 2012, 01:10:10 AM »
I haven't bought this just because I think it would have been such a fantastic Idea to allow people to write short stories about their characters during this exact period, and send them for submission and inclusion into the book.

I love to read, I love history, this would be a top notch sell, but I think a lot more people would be interested in buying stuff that not only has this history, but also has short stories of different characters that live on beluaterra. Either stories of things that are happening now, or stories of things that happened in other invasions.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 14, 2012, 01:40:42 AM »
I haven't bought this just because I think it would have been such a fantastic Idea to allow people to write short stories about their characters during this exact period, and send them for submission and inclusion into the book.

I love to read, I love history, this would be a top notch sell, but I think a lot more people would be interested in buying stuff that not only has this history, but also has short stories of different characters that live on beluaterra. Either stories of things that are happening now, or stories of things that happened in other invasions.

Um, that is what it is. Many of its parts are RP's that Tom wrote for the current invasion.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #49: January 14, 2012, 02:14:08 AM »
(Maybe people are buying books because Tom is not popular enough 8))

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: January 14, 2012, 03:01:26 AM »
not interested in blight not interested in beluterra not interested in dwilight

i dont play there

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: January 14, 2012, 03:11:30 AM »
not interested in blight not interested in beluterra not interested in dwilight

i dont play there

What does the book have to do with Dwilight?

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: January 14, 2012, 04:13:01 AM »
For me it is a simple matter of interest. Since I havent played on BT since maybe the first invasion I have barely any idea what the blight is or what is even going on on the continent right now. I honestly thought the most recent invasion was already over.

If I were in the thick of it, it might be a different story, but since I'm not it kind of falls off my radar.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: January 14, 2012, 07:12:20 AM »
I haven't had any characters on Beluaterra except a three-week old Adventurer, so the Blight and the daimons, etc don't have much significance for me.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: January 14, 2012, 07:52:06 AM »
What does the book have to do with Dwilight?

thought someone mentioned it, so what just remove that from my sentence doesn't change anything

how about not interested in daimons not interested in invasions

falcion

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: January 14, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
Not interested in an e-books and I hate reading books or something in more then 2-3 page format from monitor.
To me e-books are a thing that will start killing books. I dreamed of having a great library, or at least a shelf or two full of books i read and liked.

So not really a product for me.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #56: January 14, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »

That is actually a thought of mine as a follow-up project. But it would need to move enough copies to make the effort worth it. Putting it all together into an e-book is still work and will take hours of my time.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: January 14, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »
I'm not a fan of reading large blocks of text on a screen, really hurts my eyes (inevitable question answer: I take breaks when reading large roleplays). As for e-readers, they do help my eyes but I don't like them - there's just something about them that I don't like, much prefer having a book with me instead of an e-reader. I accept that because of this I'll probably never get to read Tom's stories because of the cost of producing paper versions.

Same reasons why I haven't read LilWolf's book, even though I'd love to :(

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: January 14, 2012, 11:56:26 AM »
I prefer books as well, that is why I printed the e-book.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: January 14, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
The best writing I've ever seen on BM was during a period from around 2006 to 2007 in the Far East when, for whatever reason, there were a lot of medieval roleplayers around.  Lasanar, Ethiala, Nighthelm, SoC,  and early Cathay. They dug the feudal system and intrigue and politics in a way that a lot of players today seem to find boring or secondary.  I would've spent a few bucks to see that arranged in an ebook.  This was when we wrote things like the RP Primer and the wiki entry on Oaths os Fealty. Not everybody agreed with this stuff but those who didn't had alternatives and it was discussed a lot because there was a lot of RP going on.

For better or worse, most of those players moved on. I spoke with about a half-dozen of them during and afterwards and their consensus was that BM itself was forcing them into playing a certain way through vehicles like peasants kicking out lords or Too Much Peace (though TMP wasn't a big problem then). I first heard the term 'PeasantMaster' around this time.

I bring this up not to re-make their point, because I think they already made it with their departure, but to identify one thing that I witnessed that is responsible for the reduction in RP (particularly in good RP). The retention rate isn't very good. Not every realm on every continent has always had much RP, but usually half the realms I played in back then did. Today, none of them do. Some of them have interesting stuff going on and are still fun (for me) but none of them have stories like they used to.

I'd pick up Beyond the Blight and read through it if I saw it in a store (since I haven't played much on BT to know what things are like there) but I wouldn't pay to read what passes for the RP scene today.