Author Topic: To RP or not to RP...  (Read 14443 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: To RP or not to RP...
« Reply #30: January 15, 2012, 03:42:06 AM »
I just don't see how what I did was wrong though.
IMO you didn't do anything wrong at all. But you should be aware of the possibility that some people may use the information in inappropriate ways. Having posted it the information, anyone can make up an RP that gives them the information IC. It could be as simple as sending a trusted lackey to go bribe some criminal for the information.

I play by the simple rule: If you don't want people to know, then don't tell them. By telling them, you are inviting them to know, one way or the other.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 15, 2012, 03:58:53 AM »
IMO you didn't do anything wrong at all. But you should be aware of the possibility that some people may use the information in inappropriate ways. Having posted it the information, anyone can make up an RP that gives them the information IC. It could be as simple as sending a trusted lackey to go bribe some criminal for the information.

I play by the simple rule: If you don't want people to know, then don't tell them. By telling them, you are inviting them to know, one way or the other.

Exactly. Its not about doing something wrong or right with regards to RP. Its about knowing how others may use that RP and exactly what rules etc apply.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 15, 2012, 07:11:55 AM »
He's being attacked for being upset for IC information that he is sending to other players could be used against his character. After all, he placed a bounty--anyone can claim to have seen him do so.

He needs to accept the consequences of his own decision to send the RP. Nothing more, nothing less.

No.  He's upset because people told him, OOC, not to make his RP's public.  He's confused by people who would then use that RP without bothering to come up with an RP of their own to justify how they found it out, and doesn't think that is good for the game.  I concur with him on both points.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 15, 2012, 08:15:33 AM »
No.  He's upset because people told him, OOC, not to make his RP's public.  He's confused by people who would then use that RP without bothering to come up with an RP of their own to justify how they found it out, and doesn't think that is good for the game.  I concur with him on both points.

Thank you for this statement, as it says exactly my feelings in a clear and concise manner.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 15, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
Thank you for this statement, as it says exactly my feelings in a clear and concise manner.

I think the statement makes most people's, who have done extensive roleplays or otherwise are used to roleplaying where such actions just would not take place, feelings on the matter are.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 15, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »

Happy to help, and I'm glad that I was right.  On occasion I do one of those summaries and find out I was completely wrong, which always makes me feel stupid...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 15, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »

The majority of us agree with the statement, we just realise what the reality is going to be. Dwilight struggles to even maintain the sensible naming convention at times, there is no reason to expect that the community will be more successful in controlling OOC information.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 15, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »
BM is a game, and as with every other game in history, most people will play fair, but some will try anything, including cheating, to win. There's no way around that, so it's up to us to make it difficult for them. One of those things is keeping secret information secret.

egamma

« Reply #38: January 16, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
I think I may post an RP about my guards reporting to me about Jenred coming out of a certain house in Remton on the arm of a young woman.

Of course, what I won't put in the RP is the fact that I instructed my guards to tell this lie to me while I was in the presence of several members of my household staff, leaving an opportunity for someone else to pick up the rumor...

*dun dun dun*

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 17, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »
I think I may post an RP about my guards reporting to me about Jenred coming out of a certain house in Remton on the arm of a young woman.

Of course, what I won't put in the RP is the fact that I instructed my guards to tell this lie to me while I was in the presence of several members of my household staff, leaving an opportunity for someone else to pick up the rumor...

*dun dun dun*

And the secret is...The young woman is his niece!  Though, given my knowledge of crazy historical rulers, that may be just as bad...

egamma

« Reply #40: January 17, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
yeah, I was going to use a temple, but your family page does not mention your faith.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 17, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »

*dun dun dun*

This is such a good idea! I've been needing a way to ruin a marriage... ;)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 18, 2012, 02:45:49 AM »
This is such a good idea! I've been needing a way to ruin a marriage... ;)

If Jenred's last name is Bedwyre, I certainly could have used such information for my own gains :D

If not... gossip is gossip.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 18, 2012, 02:59:21 AM »
If Jenred's last name is Bedwyre, I certainly could have used such information for my own gains :D

If not... gossip is gossip.

Yes it is. That was the point of the statement.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: January 19, 2012, 07:15:43 AM »
yeah, I was going to use a temple, but your family page does not mention your faith.

Jenred is a devout believer in the Aenil, and specifically follows Amriel.  He's a Paladin, in point of fact.  Think he's the only living Paladin in the MAE...