Author Topic: Abuse of religion  (Read 8856 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Abuse of religion
« Reply #15: January 14, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
The first organization of Oritolon, we are not what you might call a true religion.
The path of chivalry offers protection from enemy religions while supporting the beliefs of power and goodness in Oritolon

It seems so easy to replace this by "The Path of chivalry professes worship of the state and its Divine Ruler."
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 14, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
the difference of doing the same thing with and without spin
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 14, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »
the difference of doing the same thing with and without spin

Or, y'know, instead of "spin" you could call it "Roleplay".

But that's just crazy-talk.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Barthalomeus

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 14, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
Yeah, making it state worship would be pretty legitimate. Kind of like the Papal States or the Roman cult of the imperator.

As long as it can be roleplayed legitimately and not solely used as a tool of the players to powergame, It's ok in my book.

egamma

« Reply #19: January 14, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
It seems so easy to replace this by "The Path of chivalry professes worship of the state and its Divine Ruler."

And I would be fine with that. But the bulletin has it currently reads is a mixture of IC and OOC. I guess I'll write the elders.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 15, 2012, 04:32:08 AM »
Hmm, let me reply as my character May Ketchum, 1 of the elder member and a priestess of Path of Chivalry religion, as in OOC.

Nope, I think you do not get the complete picture of Path of Chivalry. Have you known the true history of how Path of Chivalry was founded, you wont say such thing here. Yes, maybe there are part of the Member Rank need to be changed, but I choose to leave that for later.

Allow me to give you a short brief history of Path of Chivalry and why its description was there.

Do you know Erisha Da Hadez? The founder of Path of Chivalry religion in Oritolon. The religion was formed to combat and mitigate the effects from former priests of 2 fallen realms of Alebad realm and Alowca realm.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

egamma

« Reply #21: January 15, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »
The religion was formed to combat and mitigate the effects from former priests of 2 fallen realms of Alebad realm and Alowca realm.

That's fine, just don't state it that way in the game.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 15, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »
just change a few words and everyones happy? i think i'll start a religion called facadism dedicated to applying veneers in order to sate the try-hard die-hards.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:04:10 PM by Kai »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 15, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
just change a few words and everyones happy? i think i'll start a religion called facadism dedicated to applying veneers in order to sate the try-hard die-hards.

I sure hope no one actually believes any of the in-game religions. They're all made up. However, when you make one up, it is worth it to make it up well.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

egamma

« Reply #24: January 15, 2012, 04:57:12 PM »
I sure hope no one actually believes any of the in-game religions. They're all made up. However, when you make one up, it is worth it to make it up well.

Yes, or at least make it fully IC.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: February 08, 2012, 12:34:34 AM »
Religion for self-defense is how quite a few religions got formed. It is still very common, if not so blatantly advertised.

They are just openly admitting what everyone is doing. If you want to punish them, then punish the others' extremely thinly veiled non-religion religion.

I'd rather action be taken against all hollow religions, instead of those that lack the hypocrisy to claim they aren't one.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: February 08, 2012, 01:35:32 AM »
Not only is the Path of Chivalry a rubbish religion, it's even a rubbish state religion. There's a joining fee of 25 gold for any new members. It has the same feeling as the Valentic Order on it's last legs - it's the personal fiefdom of one or two players who just sit back and use it as a gold farm. I agree that the Colonies is not exactly bursting at the seams with dynamic, intra-realm faiths, but at least faiths like 'Shadowism' have a bit of character and a little RP behind them. The potential to succeed beyond the borders of the realm where it was born.

The Path of Chivalry

This description is still not great, but on the wiki Da Hadez did make at least some effort to dress it up a little more nicely. But yeah, I find it sad that in response to the developed religions of Alowca and Alebad - which had been RPed even before religions were introduced as a mechanic - this was all Oritolon could come up with :-\