Author Topic: So I am interested in the balancing issue here  (Read 6258 times)

Alessar

• Peasant
    • View Profile
So I am interested in the balancing issue here
« Topic Start: January 16, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »
I noticed that once i "Commited Action" it gave me points and all but...What does it record it anywhere? I mean...I can spam spells for no reason in parses commit and never post it in the rp which will give me boost in skills. So I was thinking is there actually a way to make sure that parses after commiting and action that this has been used in actaul RP? I mean I know that you can rely on player's honesty but....I bet someone would just abuse that. Iono if there is a code for checking that or not. But I was thinkingif not there could a way to link the forum account and spell master parser or maybe assign a code to the parses that is required for the post to be accepted in the forum which then will communicate with the parser letting it know that this post has been used and there for the exp thats been given is not just a power play. I mean I know very little about this sort of programming as I am jsut starting to learn about it but you must see the issue here. If not Ill just try to restated it simpler.

1) You use parser to write the RP.
2) after you commit the action it give you exp and text for forum to post in proper format
3) If you post it its all fair but if not
4) You get exp without using actual post
5) You keep spaming spells as long as you can untill you out of energy what not in the same post with no actual RP
6) You commit and you gain EXP but you dont use the post
7) You get OP character with no actual posts

Now iono if that is easy to understand at all but I tried

P.S. forgive the typos keybord is wonky lately and I am getting tired of retyping most stuff

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: So I am interested in the balancing issue here
« Reply #1: January 16, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
I presume the GM's can see all the committed actions and check that RP's are being written for them.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 17, 2012, 02:35:09 AM »
I noticed that once i "Commited Action" it gave me points and all but...What does it record it anywhere? I mean...I can spam spells for no reason in parses commit and never post it in the rp which will give me boost in skills. So I was thinking is there actually a way to make sure that parses after commiting and action that this has been used in actaul RP? I mean I know that you can rely on player's honesty but....I bet someone would just abuse that. Iono if there is a code for checking that or not. But I was thinkingif not there could a way to link the forum account and spell master parser or maybe assign a code to the parses that is required for the post to be accepted in the forum which then will communicate with the parser letting it know that this post has been used and there for the exp thats been given is not just a power play. I mean I know very little about this sort of programming as I am jsut starting to learn about it but you must see the issue here. If not Ill just try to restated it simpler.

1) You use parser to write the RP.
2) after you commit the action it give you exp and text for forum to post in proper format
3) If you post it its all fair but if not
4) You get exp without using actual post
5) You keep spaming spells as long as you can untill you out of energy what not in the same post with no actual RP
6) You commit and you gain EXP but you dont use the post
7) You get OP character with no actual posts

Several problems with this.   You at most gain 50% more than someone else and that assumes you are always at maximum xp potential.  Which you won't be due to spell scarcity.  This was explicitly a problem before that was identified and fixed.

Private guild specific boards will end up having the same sort of effect.  However, anything that should be public will eventually get out.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 17, 2012, 02:46:27 AM »
Besides which, when you go to actually use your new overpowered character that has never posted a single RP, people will be suspicious.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Alessar

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 17, 2012, 06:29:01 AM »
Besides which, when you go to actually use your new overpowered character that has never posted a single RP, people will be suspicious.

Suspicious but how do you prove it? Innocent untill prven guilty yes? But yeah i see the point. Dont gang up on me like that lol. I was just wondering lol. But sounds like its not really a big problem.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 17, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
Why is it an issue at all?  I mean my character will not be telling all the long and boring details about how the used magic to clean his house or how I used air to blow up Elle Mae's skirt.   :o

The RP is for interesting communication and action taking place...  The rest of the time I could be cheating at marbles for all its worth... does not change that I have a certain amount of energy to use just like everyone else.

IMO if we use our energy and not put it in an RP then we are continuing our practice in the background of the stories.

Some one will try to mini/max his character I am sure.  But that sort of attitude will be seen in the writing and can be dealt with there.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 17, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »
The continual practice that all characters do is the basis for your free 1xp per hour gain. If you are actively casting spells in the parser, you should be posting them as RP.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 17, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
Ok then there needs to be some complected time consuming fix to prevent it like mentioned above?

:P  I like the easy lets just roll with it way of thinking myself.

Anarki_Hunter

• Knight
  • Gra'd Arbitrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 19, 2012, 01:36:07 PM »
A kind of balancing I would know of is, randomness (rather pseudo randomness) for gaining experience casually.