Author Topic: Banks Charging/Stealing Gold?  (Read 6527 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Banks Charging/Stealing Gold?
« Topic Start: January 17, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »
How many people have noticed that it now costs gold to convert gold to bonds? It just cost me two gold to convert my 50 gold to bonds.

Firstly, I think it  is rather poor that one is not informed about this hidden cost (not that I was looking for it, but if there it should be obvious), and secondly, the words "arrest this man who is stealing from the Duke" come to mind.

Any thoughts on this? (do please excuse me if I have missed this/something associated with this). I did make a comment about this earlier in the "Large Update Bugs and Breaks" thread, but it didn't seem garner any attention. (http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1674.msg37545.html#msg37545)

At least now I only lost 2 gold compared to then...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Banks Charging/Stealing Gold?
« Reply #1: January 17, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »
I do not think this is the intended behavior. If you really are being charged for converting 50 gold to bonds, then it is certainly a bug.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 17, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Firstly, I think it  is rather poor that one is not informed about this hidden cost (not that I was looking for it, but if there it should be obvious), and secondly, the words "arrest this man who is stealing from the Duke" come to mind.

No one was informed about it because it's not true. Or if it is, it's definitely a bug.

Can you provide some proof? As in, not just "I swear I remember having X bonds and Y gold, but when I converted them I ended up with X + Y - 2", but actual before and after screenshots?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: January 18, 2012, 01:53:06 AM »
Just attempted on Dwilight. Converting 50 gold to 50 bonds does not decrease your total.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 18, 2012, 03:07:41 AM »
Are you sure you didn't use up the gold when you sent out caravans?

Caravans cost 1 gold to send right now, as far as I can tell.
------
qui audet vincit

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 18, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I've been mulling this over, and I believe I was targetting the wrong action. It was rather the sending of the bonds that subtracted the gold. I converted the gold to bonds, then sent 25 bonds to someone (shouldn't cost anything) and was 2 bonds shorter (total 27 shorter) after sending 25 bonds.

Regrettably I cannot give screenshots, however, I will argue my case by logic, and given the argument, I feel it should suffice...

The smallest amount that one can convert to bonds is 50.

I had Exactly 50 gold (not provable, but bear with me).

I converted all my gold to bonds (50). I then sent off 25 immediately, without doing anything inbetween. I then had 23 bonds.

So: how could I possibly reach 23 bonds from 50 when when I sent exactly 25, and couldn't have had more otherwise I would have more than 23?

From the bank now:

Banking
You don't carry any bonds at the moment. However, you have 26 gold coins with you.

You cannot get any more bonds because the bank will only issue them in multiples of 50 gold

I currently have 26 bonds/gold (received 3 bonds from tax today). It seems like a fairly solid argument to me, lacking only screenshots...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 18, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »
I am unable to duplicate this on Dwilight in Astrum:

10563 gold, 0 bonds
deposit 50 gold
10513 gold (50 bonds)
Send 25 gold
10513 gold (25 bonds)

Are you sure you didn't try to send someone 5 or 10 bonds? There *are* bank fees for those small transfers, and they are clearly defined on the bank page.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 20, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
I am unable to duplicate this on Dwilight in Astrum:

Are you sure you didn't try to send someone 5 or 10 bonds? There *are* bank fees for those small transfers, and they are clearly defined on the bank page.

Yep, 100%. I'm going to get someone to send me some 25 bonds, then try again. It might have something to do with having a low amount of gold/bonds overall? (don't know how it works).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 20, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
The amount you have on hand should not be relevant. The charge is for sending small amounts, not having small amounts on hand.

Next time you get a chance to bank, record the numbers *before* you do anything, then again at each step in the process, along with the actions taken. If you do notice anything missing, then that should show us where to start looking.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 20, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »
I will be at a bank in a few days, then I can test it out again. I am rather curious to see what happens, considering that this is the second time that I have noted an apparently anomalous deduction when dealing with bonds...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 21, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »
I will be at a bank in a few days, then I can test it out again. I am rather curious to see what happens, considering that this is the second time that I have noted an apparently anomalous deduction when dealing with bonds...

Damn, I think someone is on to my bond skimming scheme.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 23, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
Heh, so I finally got it figured out. I must have had negative bonds when I converted to bonds. That would be the problem   :o

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 23, 2012, 07:13:06 PM »
Negative bonds is itself a bug. Any idea how that happened?

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 23, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »
Negative bonds is itself a bug. Any idea how that happened?

I have a city with one small unit of militia, and the city does not produce enough gold to support them. Hence negative bonds  ???

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 23, 2012, 08:26:57 PM »
I have a city with one small unit of militia, and the city does not produce enough gold to support them. Hence negative bonds  ???

That should result in a city with no militia.

Nothing should ever result in negative bonds.

That always is, always was, and always will be a bug.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan