Author Topic: What to do with all that blight?  (Read 9787 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: What to do with all that blight?
« Reply #15: March 16, 2011, 02:59:15 AM »
At this point it doesn't matter who originally made the blight, does it? They are all rogue blights.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 16, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »
It's our fault the blight is there in the first place. I remember Shae Nosferatus going "Yay undead blighted around Crim, no more daimons!" It gave me quite the hysterics (not really but it was funny nevertheless). In terms of manipulating players to cause their own destruction (myself included) this Invasion was quite successful. I think 3 realms were misled into attacking the Light, and almost every realm except the ones with the Light temples and...Thalmarkin (oh wow they're still alive. lol, Undead phails hard), aligned with some faction. Ergo, the lands lost to the NPCs get lost. Too bad for not "keeping the light of hope" or whatever the heck it was. I personally blame the adventurers.

Heen was pretty much the only realm that didn't make an arrangement of some type with any of the invaders.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 16, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
Heen was pretty much the only realm that didn't make an arrangement of some type with any of the invaders.

I do wonder what might have been had Mesh gone all the way and made an alliance with the Monsters. Instead, she had a short dalliance with the idea and then rejected it as she did not wish to sacrifice her populace. She wanted Monster help without offering them any benefits. To be fair, if I recall rightly they did ask for Mesh to abandon her democratic heritage for a single reliable King the Monsters could work with during invasion, but in the face of annihilation, was it so unreasonable?

At any rate, Mesh couldn't bring herself to support the Monsters proposal. The small contingent of monsters that had gathered around Twillen and the monster lord that brought them disappeared even as the daimons advanced. I think it's interesting that part of the decision, aside from appointing a King, rested on the loss of strength that would go with sacrificing half of Mesh' populace to the monsters, but rejecting monster alliance is essentially what condemned the entire populace of Mesh to blight and destruction.

Did so swiftly swallowing up Heen and Mesh essentially deliver an unassailable daimonic dominance over other factions, human or otherwise? All the factions seem to gain strength from taking human regions and bleeding the local populace dry and almost from the outbreak of Invasion, the Netherworld had most of Western Beluaterra under its thumb. Due, almost entirely, you could argue, to the intransigence and short-sightedness of Heen and Mesh in their respective approaches to the Invasion.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #18: March 17, 2011, 02:50:31 AM »
Even though Netherworld took the most regions away from the humans, we'll probably never see them again on that continent since (rogue) doesn't spawn daimons, only monsters and undead.

Still, those units had quite the interesting mechanics, especially when they basically burned down almost everything during that one phase of the Inv when they had hundreds of daimons in each unit.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 17, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »
I do wonder what might have been had Mesh gone all the way and made an alliance with the Monsters. Instead, she had a short dalliance with the idea and then rejected it as she did not wish to sacrifice her populace. She wanted Monster help without offering them any benefits. To be fair, if I recall rightly they did ask for Mesh to abandon her democratic heritage for a single reliable King the Monsters could work with during invasion, but in the face of annihilation, was it so unreasonable?

At any rate, Mesh couldn't bring herself to support the Monsters proposal. The small contingent of monsters that had gathered around Twillen and the monster lord that brought them disappeared even as the daimons advanced. I think it's interesting that part of the decision, aside from appointing a King, rested on the loss of strength that would go with sacrificing half of Mesh' populace to the monsters, but rejecting monster alliance is essentially what condemned the entire populace of Mesh to blight and destruction.

Did so swiftly swallowing up Heen and Mesh essentially deliver an unassailable daimonic dominance over other factions, human or otherwise? All the factions seem to gain strength from taking human regions and bleeding the local populace dry and almost from the outbreak of Invasion, the Netherworld had most of Western Beluaterra under its thumb. Due, almost entirely, you could argue, to the intransigence and short-sightedness of Heen and Mesh in their respective approaches to the Invasion.

My understanding was that the different factions had different recruitment methods. Granted, the result was the same for undead and monsters. The undead killed to create more undead while the monsters used people as food. Daimons didn't seem to need to depopulate regions to get reinforcements. My impression was more that they had a limited number of troops to draw from and/or a limit on how many at a time. Almost makes me think of Starcraft...(Daimons = Protoss, Undead = Zerg, Monsters = Terran).

If I remember correctly Mesh was destroyed before the blight had appeared or at least after we had already rejected the Monsters. Certainly before we understood what it meant.

As the Daimons tore through Heen, the Monsters had split their forces with most in the south and only a smaller group around Mesh. Those Monsters were defeated quickly by the Daimons.

So, my opinion is that it wouldn't have made a difference in the end. The Daimons were determined to destroy Mesh. Even if the Monsters had sent more troops Mesh was going to be destroyed by the Daimons or by the Monsters using our lands as a feeding ground for their young.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 27, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »

This is basically what Enweil got. The daimons joined in and helped fight off the monsters, asking nothing in return, other than scout reports on said monster regions.

All the PC-NPC agreements shouldn't be put on the same footing. Some were strategic and did not help the NPCs in any way, others were cowardly and served the NPCs more than the PCs.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron