BattleMaster > Magistrates Case Archive

Inalienable Rights Violation

<< < (2/15) > >>

De-Legro:

--- Quote from: Ramiel on January 18, 2012, 12:32:34 PM ---the ironic thing is, he didnt even give us a day.

--- End quote ---

How is that ironic?

songqu88@gmail.com:
Er...a foreign ruler making demands that have a deadline that may or may not actually exist...

Pick a name out of a hat of all the rulers in BM history who have done the same thing.

If refused, what can he do to those foreign nobles anyway? Go declare war? Meh, wars have been started over lesser and dumber things.

But hey, I'm not a Magistrate.

Solari:
Is the plaintiff willing to go on record as saying that all of the named individuals would have killed their characters, per Malus' request, if he had simply given them more time to do so?  Because that's the only outcome which will satisfy Malus. That's how the demand is worded.  It's also worth mentioning that several (and I mean over 50) letters were exchanged after this demand was issued, and all of them took on an increasingly belligerent and defiant tone.  Why would Malus give the full day if it wasn't going to accomplish anything?

Anaris:
Well, I'm not a Magistrate, either, but I have an opinion ;)

My view is that one must separate things that are obviously impossible IC from things that are unreasonable OOC.

In this case, the demand was something that any character could have told you was impossible.  Because of that, it is my position that this is not an IR violation.

I'm sure there are edge cases, where someone might think that they could (and must) achieve something that was, in fact, impossible IC, and thus their inalienable rights were violated.  However, I do not believe that to be true here.

Indirik:
Just a couple quick points:

* This is a very PvP game. Players make plans, and those plans upset other people's plans. The fact that the plans Malus made and put into action disturb or completely derail someone else's plans is irrelevant. The actions we take will impact other players, and change or invalidate other people's plans. And the plans they make will change or invalidate our plans as well. It is the nature of a PvP game. Complaining that your plans were disturbed by someone else is a bit ... I don't know ... selfish? (Maybe that's not quite the right term, but I can't think of a better one right now.) You're saying that your plans are more important than another player's plans. That's not multi-player game thinking, that's single-player game thinking. That your character and your story is the central focus of the game, and that everyone else must cooperate with you and write your story. In an MMOG like BattleMaster, that's just not true. Everyone else is just as much entitled to write their story as you are to write yours.
* The game is not deterministic. You cannot set out to write a specific story, and then refuse to accept the fact that the actions other players will take may alter or completely destroy that story. The game, and the path it takes, and the stories that are told, are not determined by one person. Just as in real life, you don't get to predetermine the entire course of events from beginning to end. You need to accept the events as declared by others, and then adapt your story to them, just as they must adapt their story to yours.
* You are complaining that a 24-hour deadline does not allow you to interact and defend themselves adequately. Clearly, if Malus had declared war immediately instead of grandstanding and giving his 24-hour deadline, that would have been OK. And you state in your post that giving a three-day deadline would have been OK, too. So immediate war declaration is OK, and a three day wait is OK, but a 1-day wait is not OK? But it seems to me that an immediate war declaration would have been at least as damaging to your plans as a one-day deadline. So... a long deadline is OK, and no deadline is OK, but a semi-short deadline is not OK?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version