Author Topic: Why fixed sea routes?  (Read 5196 times)

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
Why fixed sea routes?
« Topic Start: January 21, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
One of the few thing I don't like of Dwi is how the inner sea travels are managed. In the BM world there are ships capable to do trans-oceanic routes between continents so why there are  so few below coast routes in the inner sea? I think it'd be better to have free routes meaning you can travel from one port to any other in the inner sea or at least much more than now (for instance now from Aegir you can just go to Freke, it'd be more realistic and fun if you can reach also Mimer, Eidulb and Libidzedd directly).
What do you think?

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
Re: Why fixed sea routes?
« Reply #1: January 21, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
...and maybe start charging for sea travel that goes outside of your own realm?
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: January 21, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
The problem is that we don't actually have any sea-travel in the game. All we have are "roads" that we don't call roads, but sea-lanes.

I'd really like to have a better system, maybe treating water as regions-that-you-can't-do-anything-in like many other games do.

But that's for the future.

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 21, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »
The problem is that we don't actually have any sea-travel in the game. All we have are "roads" that we don't call roads, but sea-lanes.

I'd really like to have a better system, maybe treating water as regions-that-you-can't-do-anything-in like many other games do.

But that's for the future.

That would be great, even if I like BM as "terrestrial" game. I imagined that thanks to the new map system you devs could calculate distances between ports and add more "sea roads", at will with ease. This topic is not a request, it's just that as a player I'd like to "live" more the inner sea of Dwilight

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 22, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »
Indeed, more maritime mobility would be great for Dwilight.

And, it would have significant localized effects in Atamara, Beluaterra, FEI, and EC. Imagine if you could go Rines-->Enweileios?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 22, 2012, 02:00:12 AM »
What I would like to see is for more maritime routes. Realistically speaking, sea travel was one of the fastest ways to get anywhere in antiquity. A ship could sail night and day, and do so at a speed that horses would be hard pressed to match. It should take proportionally less time to get somewhere by sea than by land. This is reflected adequately I think when you compare the difference between traveling from Eidulb to Golden Farrow by sea as opposed to by land. I just wish there more such routes. Realistically speaking, any port city should be reachable from any other port city by sea. In game terms, I wouldn't expect the routes to be direct, but you ought to be able to eventually reach any city on the coast from any other city on the coast traveling exclusively by sea from port to port.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 22, 2012, 03:43:38 AM »
I would love to see searoutes added, but with the extra cost of having to maintain a navy and troop transports just so not anyone could just pile all of their army onto a sea tile and go attack willy nilly, like maybe have large troops transports and then maybe small sea raider viking versions etc but their distance coastal and then have massive troop transports for cross ocean etc. But there would have to be a hefty cost and food cost.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 22, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »
Imagine the fun of coordinating the military if you also had admirals to deal with? Or commodores (as few nobles could afford enough ships themselves to be an admiral). I've always wondered what BM would be like if it was played on the high seas....

Can we get that for WI? That'd be neat (and kinda doable under the current setup). 3 or 4 cities separated by an archipelago. Only the cities produce fleets, and random storms can make or break a game (well, not this part).
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: January 22, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »
I would love to see searoutes added, but with the extra cost of having to maintain a navy and troop transports just so not anyone could just pile all of their army onto a sea tile and go attack willy nilly, like maybe have large troops transports and then maybe small sea raider viking versions etc but their distance coastal and then have massive troop transports for cross ocean etc. But there would have to be a hefty cost and food cost.

Exactly. One of the reasons we haven't yet added something better is that there is a lot of game-balancing that goes with it.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 22, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
Exactly. One of the reasons we haven't yet added something better is that there is a lot of game-balancing that goes with it.

Could you add 1 more sea route for each of the cities on the inner sea of Dwilight?  I think that would spice things up a bit since everything is so far away on Dwilight already. 

Eidulb
Libidizedd
Mimer
Golden Farrow
Port Nebel
Port Raviel
Paisly
Madina
Fissoa

Adding 1 more sea route for each of those cities would hopefully not be all that difficult coding wise.  It would add to the realism of Dwilight and it would probably promote more fighting since it would be easier for realms to travel.  If Fissoa could travel to one of the D'haran islands it would be a much more interesting political arena for D'hara and Fissoa.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 22, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »

Could you add 1 more sea route for each of the cities on the inner sea of Dwilight?  I think that would spice things up a bit since everything is so far away on Dwilight already. 

Eidulb
Libidizedd
Mimer
Golden Farrow
Port Nebel
Port Raviel
Paisly
Madina
Fissoa

Adding 1 more sea route for each of those cities would hopefully not be all that difficult coding wise.  It would add to the realism of Dwilight and it would probably promote more fighting since it would be easier for realms to travel.  If Fissoa could travel to one of the D'haran islands it would be a much more interesting political arena for D'hara and Fissoa.

Coding, not that tough. Getting someone to update the map to show the new routes would probably take longer.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 22, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
Updating the map just to show sea routes is not hard. But once that is done, Tom would need to process the maps for the regions, as well as the new dynamic map in all rsoltuions. Not sure how much effort that is.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: January 22, 2012, 10:56:52 PM »
I'd like to not just add routes.

There is a lot to consider. And doing it once we have the new map running fully would also be a ton easier.