Author Topic: Adventurers and Infiltrators  (Read 2807 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Adventurers and Infiltrators
« Topic Start: January 23, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
It seems to me that Infiltrators do not really fit into the game as well as they could.  They are constantly in trouble trying to practice their art while at peace.  And when they are captured by an enemy, they are seldom included in any prisoner exchange agreement (in my experience).  And if we look at the RP side of the game, or perhaps the history which it is based on.  Nobles would not be the ones going about with poison daggers in their cloaks.  They would hire someone.  This is even more evident when we consider that my characters who have been around for a long time, can't even become infiltrators because they are too well known, the very goal in the life of a Noble.

I believe the adventurers would fit well into this role.  They are not usually noticed by most people.  They get very good at swordplay.  They are not nobles.   And nobody cares if they are killed/tortured/beaten.  The roles seem to fit together very well. 

I am not certain how to implement this, but perhaps as an adventurer improves his/her skills, more and more infiltrator abilities would become available to him/her. 

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurers and Infiltrators
« Reply #1: January 23, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
The adventurer ability to move at will, instead of at turns, would be far, far too powerful if combined with infiltrator skills.

This is a frequently rejected request.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 23, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »
I don't suppose it could be considered to have them change to the normal way of moving if they choose to be infiltrators? If it's possible to go from noble to priest and back, it should be possible to go from advy to infil and back too, right?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: January 23, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
As Tim said, but yes I agree that Infiltrator would not be a very noble profession.

We had been thinking about reworking the Infiltrator class to be more of a "Spymaster" class. And we could do it by splitting most of the current infiltrator actions into a 2nd commoner class, or simply making the current Infiltrator class a commoner class while adding a Spymaster class.

But that is the future.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 23, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
"Spymaster"? As in, someone who would be able to gather information on realms/regions/nobles not normally available to nobles of another realm? Sort of like the Mentor option with food (I think it was food)?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 23, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
Perhaps Spymaster could be reserved to someone selected by the Ruler, similar to the diplomat/ambassador structure, as some sort of secret council member?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: January 23, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
Don't get hung up on the name.

egamma

« Reply #7: January 23, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
"Spymaster"? As in, someone who would be able to gather information on realms/regions/nobles not normally available to nobles of another realm? Sort of like the Mentor option with food (I think it was food)?

"collect random scribe notes from across the island"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: January 25, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »
Some alternatives to the feeling that "OMG infil skils with free movement = UNBALANCED PWN!"

1. Limit infiltrator actions per turn. We know that turn still affects adventurers and priests due to their travel mechanics. For a normal infil, actions take 2-...a lot of hours. No big deal for them. They get 8 hours per turn, and max at 12. So they can do something, then move out. But even they can't be caught unless in the act or traveling. So if normal infils don't move, you still can't catch them.

2. Drain time...

Or...whatever. It's not a class I really care about so OMG NOO PWN it is.