Author Topic: Cultural behaviours  (Read 6947 times)

Zakilevo

Cultural behaviours
« Topic Start: January 24, 2012, 03:19:05 AM »
I am currently reading a book called 'the hidden dimension' by edward t hall.

In American, people always open their door of their office to show that they are available while they are working.

Apparently in Germany, people always close their doors. The book is quite old and I haven't read too far. I am sure German behaviours might have changed by now.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Cultural behaviours
« Reply #1: January 24, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
It has. Everywhere I worked, what the book describes as american is pretty much the standard in Germany, too.

Though I've often closed my door simply to shut out the noise when I needed to get serious thinking work done.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: January 24, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
Ah.. I see. Examples in the book are some extreme ones as well.

Like when Americans provided Germans materials to build camps, Germans built individual camps instead of building one big tent to house everyone.

Or

When Americans forced Germans to share a kitchen with their neighbours, they killed each other - WW2: Germans were already stressed to their limits.

The book describes how Germans take their personal space seriously. Again, the book is outdated so I don't know how many behaviours still apply today. One thing I found interesting was the difference between German doors and American doors. American doors are cheap and they do not stop any sound but German doors do cut off the noise from the outside apparently.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 24, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
so... how old is this book, anyway?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: January 24, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
1966 I believe. Was republished around 1980 something.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: January 24, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
1966 I believe. Was republished around 1980 something.

Forget most of what it contains. :-)

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: January 25, 2012, 12:35:08 AM »
haha  ;D

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 25, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
haha  ;D

I don't know about Germany, but in Australia the culture of the 90's was radically different to our culture now. Something from 1966 is likely to be nothing more then a interesting historic read, and even then we must examine the bias.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 15, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »
It has. Everywhere I worked, what the book describes as american is pretty much the standard in Germany, too.

Though I've often closed my door simply to shut out the noise when I needed to get serious thinking work done.

I don't know about Germany, but in Australia the culture of the 90's was radically different to our culture now. Something from 1966 is likely to be nothing more then a interesting historic read, and even then we must examine the bias.

What's the point of closing the door if it doesn't cut sound?

Globalization means everyone probably has the same door standards now...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 16, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
What's the point of closing the door if it doesn't cut sound?

Globalization means everyone probably has the same door standards now...

Right of course. Just like we all have the same standards for electricity and power points. Doors aren't even standard between companies here, hate to think how they would manage to make them standardised with other nations.

But in answer to your question, a shut door in a office place has connotations above and beyond the doors ability to block noise. As stated early one of the most common is, door shut = unavailable. I know when I see a worker in a managers office and the door gets shut something serious is going on. If the door isn't shut, it is business as usual/non sensitive. This is despite the fact it is well known that the closest cubicles can hear any discussion above normal speaking volume.

However there are the other proviso's as well, for instance due to the fear of sexual harassment claims a mangers door can never be closed if the occupants consist of only two people who just happen to be of the opposite gender.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 16, 2012, 12:34:38 AM »
Our cubicles don't have doors.

:(
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 16, 2012, 12:40:11 AM »
Thats the point the cubicles don't have doors so if the door is open for the manager then the close ones can hear everything the manager says so the manager would close the door.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 16, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
Thats the point the cubicles don't have doors so if the door is open for the manager then the close ones can hear everything the manager says so the manager would close the door.

If there's no door, how does he close it?

Even my manager doesn't have a door.

I work for the government, do you think we can afford DOORS!?!  :o

;D

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 16, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
However there are the other proviso's as well, for instance due to the fear of sexual harassment claims a mangers door can never be closed if the occupants consist of only two people who just happen to be of the opposite gender.

So gay people can do whatever they want? Discrimination! >:(

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 17, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
So gay people can do whatever they want? Discrimination! >:(

I was thinking that when I was typing it, that it completely ignores the possibility of same sex harassment, don't worry I'm sure the PC police will sort it out soon enough.

If there's no door, how does he close it?

Even my manager doesn't have a door.

I work for the government, do you think we can afford DOORS!?!  :o

;D

The managers have offices, only us poor working class get cubicles.