Author Topic: Assasinations  (Read 4929 times)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Assasinations
« Topic Start: January 25, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
So I'm curious.  Do people think that it'd be better if an infiltrator attack had the ability to critically wound the person automatically?  Does it already?  I've got an old man who couldn't put up a defense against a good one and he was only seriously wounded, his age put him out of his office.  What do people think?  Would it make assassinations more useful as a game mechanic of politics and money?

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Assasinations
« Reply #1: January 25, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
Would make bounties actually matter for infiltrators slightly more. Well, not really. But it would give more incentive for people to place bounties. Maybe.

Nah, who're we kidding. But hey, if the infil's that good...well it's hard enough seriously wounding people.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 25, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »
If assassinations from infiltrators could kill the target, one of my characters would quickly be dumping all of his family gold into bounties. Alas, they never will and I wouldn't necessarily want them to from a player point of view without some serious drawbacks in place.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 26, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
If assassinations from infiltrators could kill the target, one of my characters would quickly be dumping all of his family gold into bounties. Alas, they never will and I wouldn't necessarily want them to from a player point of view without some serious drawbacks in place.

Even with drawbacks, assasins actually killing people would be unacceptable. Unless the victim has a choice in the matter, somehow :)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: January 26, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »
I -still- recommend Chenier's idea from last year:
A compromise pleasing everyone might be attainable...

When infils are caught failing an attack, it says they are caught with a poisoned dagger. Why is this poison ignored everywhere?

Add a new status: poisoned. Poison prevents one's condition from improving (though it can worsen), and lasts for a full day on a partial assassination and two full days for a complete assassination attempt. Then, make healing overall easier, so that a wound in battle or by preaching has less odds of keeping one out of action for a week.

This is me agreeing with Chenier.  That doesn't happen often!

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 26, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
but that would mean there should be option to immediately execute infil for ignoble behaviour...
firefox

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #6: January 26, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »
How would it be different?  The game -already- mentions them being found with poisoned daggers.  With the proposed system, it would actually be taken into account.  Or have you never noticed that when they're captured when trying to assassinate that they have the dagger?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 26, 2012, 11:11:51 PM »
... it has additional effects? XD
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 26, 2012, 11:42:11 PM »
Wound times are balanced now. I can't see an argument to reduce wounding time for what is really the majority of wounds (infil wounds are a minority really). If poison was to have an effect I would think it would increase the current wound times.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 27, 2012, 04:53:33 AM »
Wound times are balanced now. I can't see an argument to reduce wounding time for what is really the majority of wounds (infil wounds are a minority really). If poison was to have an effect I would think it would increase the current wound times.

So why not have an assault go to the maximum wound level?  The idea isn't to just hurt someone, it's to give you a good shot at taking them out of commission for a long time.  Long enough they lose their titles, unless they get lucky or are really young.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #10: January 27, 2012, 04:55:48 AM »
In which case the chance of getting caught should go up substantially higher as well.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 27, 2012, 05:03:15 AM »
So why not have an assault go to the maximum wound level?  The idea isn't to just hurt someone, it's to give you a good shot at taking them out of commission for a long time.  Long enough they lose their titles, unless they get lucky or are really young.

Seriously wounded is the highest level. Sorry I didn't see that part. There is some variation within the definition of a serious wounded though, so for the same character two serious wounds would take different times to heal.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 27, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
Seriously wounded is the highest level. Sorry I didn't see that part. There is some variation within the definition of a serious wounded though, so for the same character two serious wounds would take different times to heal.

That's just not true though.  There is a level above serious wound "Critical Wound" where the text says something like the healers aren't sure that you're going to live?  The progression from worst wound to lightest is Critical, Serious, Wounded, Light Wound, Healing, Recovery, Normal.

Right now at least on Stable (and presumably Testing islands) Assasins blades only do serious wounds.

Text goes like this for the different statuses.

Wounds Unchanged   (16 days, 9 hours ago)
Your wounds are critical, and you spend most of your time unconscious. You get occasional flashes of what the healers are doing: enough to know, when you're lucid enough to think straight at all, that your chances aren't good this time.

Wounds Healing   (14 days, 9 hours ago)
The healers say your condition is improving.
They tell you that they have the internal bleeding stopped, and hope that they'll be able to bring down your infection soon.
Your wounds are still very serious, and you are slipping in and out of consciousness. The healers are doing their best, and say they think you will probably recover, but they cannot tell you how long it may be.

Wounds Healing   (13 days, 21 hours ago)
They tell you that the infection is going away, and you should be better in a few more days.
You are still wounded, and the healers say you should make a full recovery, as long as you stay in bed for a few more days.

In fact, they think you're well enough to be allowed to resume limited duties.
You are recovering from your wounds, and able to act and send messages, though you can't do as much as usual in a day.

Wounds Healing   (12 days, 21 hours ago)
You are recovering from your wounds, and able to act and send messages, though you can't do as much as usual in a day.

Returned to active duty   (12 days, 9 hours ago)
You have returned to active duty. You are in Lyton.
It will take about 6 days for your wounds to fully heal. During this recovery time, you receive two hours less per turn.

As you can see he my noble (who was 30ish) would've been really knocked out and not dead (Although funnily enough his status was Dead when I first logged in after the battle in Atamara).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 27, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
Right now at least on Stable (and presumably Testing islands) Assasins blades only do serious wounds.

That's also not true.

Assassins can inflict a wide variety of wounds, from light all the way up to critical.  It's all in how good you are and how lucky you are.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 27, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
Well that's what I'd asked about and nobody said anything =)  So it already is the case then.  Guess I just have to keep adding to the bounties then mwhahaha.  I love being rich.